Speakers for my Topping Amp

OddieOphyle

I have recently bought the following amplifier, USB DAC and connectors and am looking to buy a set of speakers and speaker connectors to complete the set.

1. Topping TP20 Mark II Power Amplifier.
2. Nuforce Icon uDAC 2 USB DAC.
3. A pair of gold plated 22 AWG RCA connectors (~ 2 m).
4. MediaBridge gold plated 3.5 to L-R RCA connectors.

I am looking to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers. I have read recommendations of Cambrige Audio S30 and JBL Control 1 but will be auditioning them first. You're most welcome with any other recos.

Here are my questions:

1. Where in Pune / Mumbai can I find Cambridge Audio S30 speakers?
2. What kind of connectors would be required to connect my TP20 amplifier's output to speakers? I can see two pairs of ports - L+ and L-, and R+ and R- - so I am guessing I have to connect two cables to each speaker. The ports also seem to be different from RCA ports (input is 2 x RCA) - they have a cylindrical sleeve of transparent material around the ports.

Other details:
Source: Laptop with DVD drive and flac files on hard drive.
Room size: 14 x 12
Expectations: Clean sound, low noise, good bass but not booming.

(Info source: playitclear.blogspot.in)

The two speakers that you have mentioned are perfect for your setup. Get Cambridge Audio S30 if you like it. Very good speakers. You can also checkout Wharfedale 9.0 or 10.0

On the other hand, you can go DIY way and build your own speakers. You will get an excellent pair of kevlar cone mid bass driver for 1500/pc and matching tweeter for around 1k from Peerless India.

The two speakers that you have mentioned are perfect for your setup. Get Cambridge Audio S30 if you like it. Very good speakers. You can also checkout Wharfedale 9.0 or 10.0
+1 Kowshik,
Have seen lot of good reviews on paring Topping amps to CA s30 and for level higher Wharfs 9 or 10. Was been amazed to see Topping driving KEF300 in some posts.

So getting pair for Topping should not be a tough task:eek:hyeah:

Oddie - I am planning to buy topping Amp and nuforce dac as well. May I know where did you purchase these and for what price?

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

I bought them on Amazon, got a friend to carry them from the US to Pune. The total package was still not very big so no worries. The DAC came for around 110 USD, the Topping for 70 USD and the connectors for around 17 USD for a grand total of 197 USD.

I have recently bought the following amplifier, USB DAC and connectors and am looking to buy a set of speakers and speaker connectors to complete the set.
hi oddieophyle, i am using the ca s30s with the tp20 and the combo is quite musical, better than the 9.0s (which i have) or the 9.1s. however if you are looking for a near-field listening setup then even the 9.0s are good. but in my opinion the s30s are way better in SQ. only issue with them is the deep design and rear ports which need atleast 10-12 inches in the rear. otherwise they will sound boomy which you are keen to avoid. so keep that in mind while going for the s30. in case you have to keep them close to the wall then the 9.1 / 9.0 diamonds will be better given their front ports. even the control 1s will be good but the wharfs are better in my opinion.

any simple cable will do for connecting the tp20 to speakers (i use the dac cable - fairly good value, you can buy them from hifimart), take extreme care while connecting and ensure that there is no possibility of the wire shorting anywhere, the toppings are very sensitive in this matter. recently one of my friends damaged his amp due to loose ends in the cable.

welcome to the topping club, hope you will enjoy your music, do post your experience after u complete the setup, cheers.

any simple cable will do for connecting the tp20 to speakers (i use the dac cable - fairly good value, you can buy them from hifimart), take extreme care while connecting and ensure that there is no possibility of the wire shorting anywhere, the toppings are very sensitive in this matter. recently one of my friends damaged his amp due to loose ends in the cable.

Thanks for the tip. Could you tell me how do you eliminate any possibility of wire shorting?

welcome to the topping club, hope you will enjoy your music, do post your experience after u complete the setup, cheers.

Thanks for the tip. Could you tell me how do you eliminate any possibility of wire shorting?

Also, anyone knows where to get Cambridge Audio S30 speakers in Pune?

I got my first audition today on Dali and DNM bookshelf speakers at Sound Factor. I guess the TP20 isn't the best combination - they need higher powered amps. Also heard the JBL Control 1 seems a little toyish. It's not a bad speaker, but it's not what I am looking for.

Got a recommendation for JBL Studio 130. Any opinion on this?

Also, looks like Cambridge Audio S30 is pretty hard to get by. Was wondering where to get it.

About the DAC, I was told that it will only make a difference for MP3s but not for FLACs. This doesn't make sense to me. I thought the USB DAC bypasses the inbuilt sound card and produces superior analog signals. Correct me if I am wrong. I must admit listening to music on my laptop using just the DAC is a little underwhelming - the loudness is reduced and in a few cases while playing FLACs, I am not noticing some crackling noise.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back