Speakers for Norge 1000

Siva

I have the M35is with Norge 1000 in a 15x12 room. Though the manual of the speakers recommends a distance of 0.5 meters from the back wall but i found they require lot of space to breathe. I have kept them at 1 meter distance from the rear wall.
I usually listen at amp 9 to 9:30 position. For higher 10:30 is the max position of the amp volume . After which the room relflections start coming into picture.
So for a 10x10 room i strongly suggest you look for good bookshelves like wharfs 9 / 10 series...

Siva

I have the M35is with Norge 1000 in a 15x12 room. Though the manual of the speakers recommends a distance of 0.5 meters from the back wall but i found they require lot of space to breathe. I have kept them at 1 meter distance from the rear wall.
I usually listen at amp 9 to 9:30 position. For higher 10:30 is the max position of the amp volume . After which the room relflections start coming into picture.
So for a 10x10 room i strongly suggest you look for good bookshelves like wharfs 9 / 10 series...

Thanks a lot. Planning to look at 9.2.

And, people any idea about wall brackets for the 9.2s? Coz I dont have any shelves, stands occupy space and my computer table has no space. :eek:

So, any idea about wall brackets for 9.2s? Where can I get them in Chennai?

That was really helpful. Well., everyone talking abt 9.2, I am even more eager to audition it. Cant we do the neutralizing part in the amp (treble and bass) adjustments? :eek:

Hi Siva,
The usual bass & treble controls operate on extreme end of spectrums, where 9.2 doesn't require modification (in fact its delivery in that spectrum is the best, and it should be left untouched).

9.2 has subdued mid-range somewhere around 1Khz zone. you may have multiple narrow-bands between 750k to 3KHz where there are dips in spectrum. You will need precise bandwidth selection + boost/reduction control using a parametric equaliser, to identify and enhance these narrow bands, to get a flat neutral response from 9.2.

The usual "fixed frequency + fixed bandwidth" equaliser will not serve the purpose. We are talking about surgical precision here, since you intend to do studio-mixing type of job which is serious business compared to easy music listening on a lazy afternoon.

If you have PC based sound source, implementing parametric eq in software domain will help in reducing additional noise that an external eq unit may add to the signal chain.

regards,

Last edited:
Hi Siva,
The usual bass & treble controls operate on extreme end of spectrums, where 9.2 doesn't require modification (in fact its delivery in that spectrum is the best, and it should be left untouched).

9.2 has subdued mid-range somewhere around 1Khz zone. you may have multiple narrow-bands between 750k to 3KHz where there are dips in spectrum. You will need precise bandwidth selection + boost/reduction control using a parametric equaliser, to identify and enhance these narrow bands, to get a flat neutral response from 9.2.

The usual "fixed frequency + fixed bandwidth" equaliser will not serve the purpose. We are talking about surgical precision here, since you intend to do studio-mixing type of job which is serious business compared to easy music listening on a lazy afternoon.

If you have PC based sound source, implementing parametric eq in software domain will help in reducing additional noise that an external eq unit may add to the signal chain.

regards,

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. At this point of time, going for a hardware paramatric eq is out of question. My source is a PC. Will try the software route. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. At this point of time, going for a hardware paramatric eq is out of question. My source is a PC. Will try the software route. Any suggestions?

Hi Siva,
I am presently involved in survey on software based Music-studio setup, which is not complete yet.

For consumer level "software parametirc eq application" you can try the following (not tested personally though)

Case-1
1. Assuming you are using software based music production and want to monitor the final mix...., ensure that your software allows using VST platform plugins (Cubase & Sonar 4 allows that)
2. Download and install Software Parametric equaliser (AQUALIZER) in Cubase/Sonar from this link >> Aqualizer VST
3. Insert the eq plugin in your sound output software chain and you job is done!!

Case-2
1. You want to audition already mix-down music file (say wav file) generated by Cubase/Sonar4 thru WINAMP.
2. Install WINAMP-VST BRIDGE from this link >> VST Winamp Bridge - Customize Winamp Media Player
3. Install AQUALIZER as mentioned in point-2 above.
4. Insert the eq plugin in your WINAMP chain as per associated instructions in software-package, and you job is done!!

Case-3
1. Consult other members on this forum for implementing software param eq (suggested members CRANKY, VENKATCR, SUPRATEEP)

Let me know when you are successful (send PM/Private Message). I will follow your path.
Thanks and regards,

sonosphere said it all.

A couple of questions:

1. BTW what is your budget i.e. do you want to go for a free solution or actually shelf money to buy something?

2.Honestly first try and buy the stuff - the norge 1000 goes well with wharfedale 9.2 (i hear it everytime i go to a dealer friend of mine here in Pune) - and for most songs a lil tinkering around helps. If you want great precision then obviously a SW based solution is the way to go - IMHO though the way windows and other SW is desgigned they somehow interfere with the aduio signals so we often recommend to use ASIO with CPLay for music. For accurate measurements though winamp has a lot of free SW plugins for the purpose - I had a whole lot of them downloaded somewhere - was useful with cheap computer speakers. These days, winamp is sparingly used anyway with the kind of soundstage CPlay gives.

Anyway first take an audition - ask the right questions - we will help as much as we can.

Hi Siva,

Which speakers did you finally end up getting?

How has your experience been with the Norge + speakers so far?

rgds.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back