Speakers for Onkyo NR 686

thomas2016

Hi,

I need a 5.1 for my onkyo 686. My budget would be less than 75k. And I wouldn't be able to shell out it in one shot. I would buy it in stages. Please provide your opinions on speakers. I live in Trivandrum, Kerala.

Regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
Last year in Whathifi show Mumbai, I have audition Q Acoustic 3050i 5.1 setup with Marantz SR5013 av receiver and both sound great for their price. Q Acoustic sub was the weakest link in chain bye rest speakers sound great. Another speakers set is ELAC Debut 2 series is consider best VFM product. Audition these speakers before purchase. If you are intended to buy Sub also within the budget then look for Bookshelf version of 5.0 speakers

Last year in Whathifi show Mumbai, I have audition Q Acoustic 3050i 5.1 setup with Marantz SR5013 av receiver and both sound great for their price. Q Acoustic sub was the weakest link in chain bye rest speakers sound great. Another speakers set is ELAC Debut 2 series is consider best VFM product. Audition these speakers before purchase. If you are intended to buy Sub also within the budget then look for Bookshelf version of 5.0 speakers
Ok. I need to search where in Kerala, could I listen to elac or qacoustics. Do you reckon, being heard of any stores in Kerala?

Hi,

I need a 5.1 for my onkyo 686. My budget would be less than 75k. And I wouldn't be able to shell out it in one shot. I would buy it in stages. Please provide your opinions on speakers. I live in Trivandrum, Kerala.

Regards,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have not heard an Onkyo but from what I have heard, the receiver is on the brighter side where its sound signature is concerned. If you can audition the Wharfedale diamond 220 speakers which have got good reviews for the price. This 5.1 speaker setup would fit much inside your budget in approx Rs. 58,000/- . The Wharfedales are supposed to be on the warmer side hence may go well with the Onkyo. You can buy a pair for the fronts first if there are budget constraints & later buy the rest.

You can purchase them from the HIfi store from here itself.

Hi,

Consider me a newbie, since some of my queries may fall flat. My movies, music share would be 70, 30. Please may I request your opinions on the following.

1. I am told to stay away from Chinese speakers. Should I be that worried if my budget is less than 75k?
2. Your views on Onkyo speakers. I am told that their speakers aren't as great as their receivers; i.e. at the same price, I can get better speakers.
3. I have found an Yamaha authorised seller in Trivandrum. What are your views on NS 333 and NSC 444 and it's subwoofer, for Onkyo 686, please.
4. I have wharfedale 220 in my list as Nitin has suggested. What are your suggestions on Elac speakers.
5. Do you know of any places where I can audition Wharfedale and Elac, preferably in Kerala.
6. I have two rooms one is 18x12 ft and the other is 8.8 x 9.8 ft. Which one should I use for my purpose, please.

Thanks,
Thomas

Hi,

Consider me a newbie, since some of my queries may fall flat. My movies, music share would be 70, 30. Please may I request your opinions on the following.

1. I am told to stay away from Chinese speakers. Should I be that worried if my budget is less than 75k?
2. Your views on Onkyo speakers. I am told that their speakers aren't as great as their receivers; i.e. at the same price, I can get better speakers.
3. I have found an Yamaha authorised seller in Trivandrum. What are your views on NS 333 and NSC 444 and it's subwoofer, for Onkyo 686, please.
4. I have wharfedale 220 in my list as Nitin has suggested. What are your suggestions on Elac speakers.
5. Do you know of any places where I can audition Wharfedale and Elac, preferably in Kerala.
6. I have two rooms one is 18x12 ft and the other is 8.8 x 9.8 ft. Which one should I use for my purpose, please.

Thanks,
Thomas

5.2 for slightly more than your budget?..

8.8 x 9.8 ft may be small, but would just be good for 5.1..18 x 12 ft should be good for 5.1 as well as more than 5.1..

Hi Thomas,
I cannot speak for the Yamaha speakers you have mentioned but the wharfedales are a respected speaker company manufacturing only speakers. Yamaha are more famous for their receivers.
I have heard the Elacs, I think Debut 5 & 6 & they were wonderful for music & I would prefer them than the above choices. The Wharfedale I mentioned would be suitable for your smaller room. Having said that, you will definitely require a subwoofer in future for movies since the small bookshelf speakers will not give you room shaking bass.
For auditioning the brands you may need to ask the FM's from Kerala who are more familiar with the dealers.
Regarding Chinese speakers, yes Wharfedale is owned by a Chinese company but so are Quads, Castle knight etc. Most of the famous brands like NAD, Marantz, Denon, Arcam use to manufacture most of their models in China earlier & now Vietnam. So are the big brand mobile phones like apple & Oneplus. That truth is inescapable.
Only the premium top of the line models products are manufactured in Japan which would be way too expensive.
For Budget speakers & Subwoofers, pls also consider Taga & Bic America which offer value for money.
There are also budget floor standers for the fronts for your big room from Tannoy here

Most of the international speakers brand have their own quality control on their product line even though they are manufactured in China and never compromise on quality issue. ,
Within your budget 75 k , you can have non compromise bookshelf speakers 5.0 set from Monitor audio, Wharfdale, Elac, Polk, Q Acoustic etc. Don't bother about the brand ,just audition and select the one you like the most. You can have great front LCR speakers including front floor standing speakers within budget and can add surround back and subwoofer later on. It is true that Onkyo have sound signature towards bright side so selecting speakers with warmer tone may be a best combo.
Don't believe on dealers, just do your homework and visit dealers for audition. They always push the product they own or the products with great margin.

Hi,

Thanks to @rpmahale and @Nitin K for providing me such great insights in this market. I had received a stereo audition(no surrounds) of Taga harmony 606 yesterday, and I am happy with the sound quality.

What gauge speaker cables should I use with this system? Where can I buy them and are there any recommendations on that front, please?

Regards,
Thomas

16 Awg thickness is most commonly used & should be able to drive the Taga's though a 14 awg would be ideal. Pls avoid copper clad aluminium speaker wires sold widely & buy pure copper wires.
Speaker wires can be purchased from the Hifi Mart here & the cable experts from the forum can pitch in pertaining to the brand since I am using 20 year old Bose speaker wires bought separately.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back