Speakers for Onkyo TX-SR606

Hello Friends,

I quite liked S606 (INR 26K and INR 39K for 5.1) except for the extra bass may be due to the additional woofer.

Next week i am planning to visit dubai, Do we need to pay any import duty/tax if i can get one from dubai duty-free shops, if i need to pay duty in india how much it could be.

very intresting....i am couroius to hear answers to this post, i am going to london in 2 weeks if all goes well for SVKNDV i will consider buying my speakers from UK.... how much do they weigh BTW?

Next week i am planning to visit dubai, Do we need to pay any import duty/tax if i can get one from dubai duty-free shops, if i need to pay duty in india how much it could be.

This point has been answered in many posts and there are threads with detailed discussions on Customs and Tariffs.

If you are coming from any port outside India, the rules are the same. You are allowed upto 20,000 of duty free import. The catch is if you cross the 20K, everything is dutiable including the 20K. Customs rules are very vague and can be represented any way the officer on duty likes. The issues is simple - ultimately you can quote the rules and get your item, but the officer can confiscate the item, and it will take a long time to get it back. Duties on electronic items are upto 40%.

That was the dark side of Indian Customs.

The bright side is that most duty officers at major airports are not even bothered nowadays. The best would be to go to Red Channel, declare your item, say it is for personal use, and walk away with a small duty. In places like Dubai, some dealers will give you a second invoice dated nearly a year earlier and for some low value. If you get this invoice, the authorities cannot levy any duty as the item has been in use for a long time with say a brother, cousin or some such relation. You can mention that you have been gifted with the item.

Chennai Airport is a cake walk. You can actually carry an amp or an AVR and simply walk through the Green Channel.

Please search for and browse through the other threads.

A troubling issue is usually the weight and size of large items. Check with your airlines on baggage allowance before pick an item.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you are coming from any port outside India, the rules are the same. You are allowed upto 20,000 of duty free import.

I think it's 25K....for more than 3 days stay abroad. Otherwise only 12K

Last edited:
25K is the limit. Venkat is right about Chennai-I have had some good experiences there bringing in a valve amp without any hassle at all some years ago.

Nowadays things are changing-net access is making things harder for "smugglers"-of course gold biscuits still come through:lol:

i have polk tsi 5.1 speaker package and it sounds superb with onkyo 606

just my opinion brother :eek:

also i'm using polk tsi 500 for stereo with onkyo 606 and they sound great great spacial width

go for bookshelfs if you want a budget system from polk

and about polk harshness i don't think they sound harsh at all coz i done acoustic treatment at first reflection point so the loud i go the better they sound so i guess acoustic treatment is must

also one more thing in my mind right now i'm using onkyo 606 what happens when i'm using onkyo 906 or denon 4308 daaaaamm its a blaaaaast then :yahoo:

Last edited:
Let me clarify-duty is applicable on the amount exceeding 25K-you get an exemption upto 25K. I dont think you need to be too worried about customs if the value is below that and you have documentation to prove it. Of course the customs guys vary from person to person, and it also depends on your confidence level.My eldest bro is a US citizen, but when he comes to India he always get singled out for special treatment by customs and he comes in fuming!

If customs guys try to give me a hard time( very occasionally), since I know my rights I stand my ground.If ti gets a bit too much, I openly tell them they should nab the guys who come in bringing in gold biscuits, and not people like me-they immediately understand what I mean. I also generally try to come in as well dressed as I can, and tell them that I am coming in from the US,so they generally dont bother me too much. Maybe the gray hair also helps a bit:lol:

George

George

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back