Speakers - JBL or Wharfedale

riteshmadhok

Need to choose between the JBL Studio 180, Studio 190 and the Wharfedale Vardus 400 Tower speakers for my Yamaha RX 467. Please Advise :)

Need to choose between the JBL Studio 180, Studio 190 and the Wharfedale Vardus 400 Tower speakers for my Yamaha RX 467. Please Advise :)

JBL Studio 190 any day. I had the opportunity to have it in my house for 2 weeks and compared it side by side with the Wharfedale 9.6.

The Wharfedale 9.6 wins on musicality. However the JBL studio 190 is a very good all rounder - Price to Performance ratio
I was very impressed particularly with the JBL 190's ability to throw a very wide / large soundstage
They have a decent sensitivity of 90db ( i think) and I fond them to be fairly easy to drive. they open up pretty nicely even without a high power amp / AVR
However the Vardus 400 is a couple of notches below the performance levels of the 9.6. So although I have not heard the Vardus I can safely say the JBL 190 will outperform them in every aspect
I have not heard the Studio 180 so can't comment. I have had the Studio 130 as well. but they are BS, so I don't want to get there

But keep in mind that they are huge and take up a lot of space. They stand over a meter tall and have a slight oddball look because of their front grills.

Audition both and some other FS in your price band to see which one you like

Here is a pic of the JBL's 190 next to the Wharf 9.6 at my house during a A/B session

Last edited:
hi flash,

is 9.6 available smwhr so can get in mumbai?

Prasad,

They seem to be completely out of stock as they have been discontinued.
However if you do find any let me know.
Even if they have 5 pairs, I'll buy them all.
For the price they are worth every cent. Beats the new 10 series any day

Wharfedales for their musicality !!!

I am not sure what "musicality" means. Is that a marketing mans buzzword for distortion?

Wharfdale was a good company....in the 60's, what with the sand between wood panels that made them so heavy the vibration would keep them from marching across the floor. Now they are little more than somebody marketing the name.

I'll use the JBL's personally, but I enjoy accuracy.

I enjoy a good discussion about one speaker over another, but at the end of the road, it is the ears of the buyer that should make the final decision. I would never buy a speaker system for my home without an audition.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back