Spin Clean record washer Mk II review

Wow! Omishra I clean just 10 records at one sitting. Cos cleaning the record jackets also takes time. :)
That is additional job while putting each record into its own jacket. So putting back into sleeves and other stuff takes another 1/2 hr.

While taking out records for cleaning, I create the stack of records and one more for cover, inner sleeves & outer jacket in same order. I maintain that order till washing and drying of records. it takes small space & it becomes easy to put back orderly.

Stevie, If you are married, dont let your wife \ kids see this washer, else you may see them using it for washing the household plates.

Yesterday when I was cleaning some records, my kids were asking what kind of plate is that and they want their meals in that plate :sad::eek:hyeah::p

Hehe not yet cmsajith. Fortunately the gf grew up with vinyl and still prefers it to cd :) even more fortunately she grew up listening to rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered a Spin Clean MK II kit today.
Most of my vinyls are like new and almost dust free but I do have some vinyls which are not that clean.

Once I get it I'll try to post links to some before and after results which I'll achieve.

I got a Knosti recently and have not noticed any residue. The cleaning fluid is pure alcohol with some detergent and it simply evaporates leaving nothing on the record. I tried washing some really old and dirty LPs which I was too scared to play before and they are very listenable now. Newer ones sound significantly better than without a wash. For Rs 5000 or so, it is really good value. Plus this one doesn't wet the center of the record since there's a clamp that sits on the center which avoids water from getting in.

I got a Knosti recently and have not noticed any residue.

Hi Reign of Chaos,

The fact that you have not noticed any residue would indicate that these records are relatively clean and there is no dirt to be left behind as a residue.

Since you have washed
some really old and dirty LPs
it is possible that the dirt remains in suspension in the cleaning fluid and does not get deposited at the bottom of the record cleaning machine.

Regards.

Hi Reign of Chaos,

The fact that you have not noticed any residue would indicate that these records are relatively clean and there is no dirt to be left behind as a residue.

Since you have washed it is possible that the dirt remains in suspension in the cleaning fluid and does not get deposited at the bottom of the record cleaning machine.

Regards.

The kit comes with a filtering system that actually filters the fluid after use so that it can be reused. All the dirt stays in these filters which can then be washed afterwards.

The reason I said no residue is because Asit mentioned that the knosti leaves residue on the records. This is simply not true.

Asit mentioned that the knosti leaves residue on the records. This is simply not true.

RoC,
Please read my post carefully. I did not say "knosti leaves residue on the records". I only said that there were reports on the net to that effect. Examples of some of the reports on the net (from actual users)
i)
AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Anyone familiar with KNOSTI DISCO ANTISTAT LP RECORD CLEANERS KIT ?

ii) Turntable Forum • View topic - Knosti Disco Antistat Record Cleaning Machine

iii) Knosti record cleaning machine - tips for new owner? [Archive] - SH Forums (4th post of back2vinyl)

One can find more.

When I am writing in a forum like this, and I am aware of reports of a certain kind on the net, it is only fair to mention it here, without fear or bias. Of course, if somebody knows better or differently, that person should also voice his opinion with whatever data, as you have done. So, your input is an important piece of new data available to us now.

If you read my post carefully, you would also discover that I commented that with spin clean mk II, there were no known reports of residue. That immediately implies that with the earlier version perhaps there were reports of residue left. I cannot recollect right now, but it probably is true. Actually it boils down to the fluids that these brands keep on researching and improving, I would guess.

There is this other issue of the record labels getting wet. There is discussion on this with Knosti in the sites I have already cited above. When it comes to spin clean, there is a suspicion that it may wet the labels. Not at all. The records rotate in such a way that the labels are spared. I have so far cleaned about 70-80 records with the spin clean, and it has not happened even in one case.

However, as Stevie has pointed out, and I also implied, the spin clean is far from the perfect solution as some reviews tend to indicate. But it is a good solution given its price, and if one uses it with modifications and in combination (as I have indicated in detail in my previous post), it generally produces satisfactory results. I hope I am allowed to speak without any fear or any bias.

Regards.

And the next part of the Spin Clean has arrived today morning! The Moth Audio RCM MkII DIY kit! Can't wait to open it when I get home! Came through Chennai customs peacefully. Another project for Jan :)

Hehe not yet cmsajith. Fortunately the gf grew up with vinyl and still prefers it to cd :) even more fortunately she grew up listening to rock.

you are bluffing to make us all jealous eh??? such a women should they exist, would attract the love interest of richest audiophiles out there.

And the next part of the Spin Clean has arrived today morning! The Moth Audio RCM MkII DIY kit! Can't wait to open it when I get home! Came through Chennai customs peacefully. Another project for Jan :)

If you do not mind sharing, would you kindly tell us where have you sourced it from and how much did you pay (if you can give us a breakup with customs duty and shipping)?

The Moth RCM mkII has received very good reviews. Many people use it with the L'Art du Son fluid that have described in my first post in this thread. I believe you got the kit. How heavy is the kit shipment? Please share the building process.

Regards.

Dear Stevieboy and others

I clean records manually using a old TT with Demineralised water and Surfactant for cleaning and without surfactant for rinsing with vacum cleaning after both stages. Stevieboy, why don't you give me few of your unwashed records and i would like to clean the A side with my cleaning process . You can clean the B side and let me know the effectiveness of my system. I put in more effort for really bad records. so I feel my manual system can't be too bad but I dont have a cleaning machine to compare it with. kuruvilajacob

I got a Knosti recently and have not noticed any residue. The cleaning fluid is pure alcohol with some detergent and it simply evaporates leaving nothing on the record. I tried washing some really old and dirty LPs which I was too scared to play before and they are very listenable now. Newer ones sound significantly better than without a wash. For Rs 5000 or so, it is really good value. Plus this one doesn't wet the center of the record since there's a clamp that sits on the center which avoids water from getting in.

HI ROC, Arj mentioned that Knosti might be a good alternative to Spin-Clean and locally available too (TLR). Now that you own one, can I have a dekko before going for one? Lemme know...

Oh ! I missed this one. Congrats Stevie. I guess this requires liquid vacuum cleaner. Right ? I once saw in Telebrands* one cheap liquid vacuum cleaner for about 1200 Rs. I think. Would that be helpful ?
Regards
*No I dont watch it regularly just came to know while 'surfing' the channels. Honest. :)

Soul Bro, I swear I don't watch it. I am ready to take lie detector test.
OWADS-Lie_Detector-0201__99055_zoom.jpg

hee hee which incidently is available from Telebrands :lol:
Regards

you are bluffing to make us all jealous eh??? such a women should they exist, would attract the love interest of richest audiophiles out there.

Hehe not bluffing entsurgeon. I heard knopfler live in bangalore via mobile in bombay. Then caught purple, tull and ponty and others live together, am blessed and very lucky. Though she has moved on to live music that is creating it. Am treated to classical piano pieces now and then, Bach, Mozart etc and a few other classics

If you do not mind sharing, would you kindly tell us where have you sourced it from and how much did you pay (if you can give us a breakup with customs duty and shipping)?

The Moth RCM mkII has received very good reviews. Many people use it with the L'Art du Son fluid that have described in my first post in this thread. I believe you got the kit. How heavy is the kit shipment? Please share the building process.

Regards.

Hi Asit,

Picked the kit up from ebay. 295+ a little over 100 pounds shipping. A little less due to vat being waived off. Bout 245 if i remember right. No customs due to a favorable invoice. Will be approaching murthy here to build it most probably else will post pics if I'm doing it myself. Will have to see package for weight.

Regards

Dear Stevieboy and others

I clean records manually using a old TT with Demineralised water and Surfactant for cleaning and without surfactant for rinsing with vacum cleaning after both stages. Stevieboy, why don't you give me few of your unwashed records and i would like to clean the A side with my cleaning process . You can clean the B side and let me know the effectiveness of my system. I put in more effort for really bad records. so I feel my manual system can't be too bad but I dont have a cleaning machine to compare it with. kuruvilajacob

Hi Kuruvilajacob,

Done that type of cleaning too. I think all cleaning methods clean more or less the same. Will have to see how the rcm does now. Was more looking at a long term option that does not involve me washing the lp wiping cloths again and again. If the rcm cleans better it will be a bonus.

Regards

Oh ! I missed this one. Congrats Stevie. I guess this requires liquid vacuum cleaner. Right ? I once saw in Telebrands* one cheap liquid vacuum cleaner for about 1200 Rs. I think. Would that be helpful ?
Regards
*No I dont watch it regularly just came to know while 'surfing' the channels. Honest. :)

Hi Hiten,

No, does not require anything. It's a complete rcm like vpi or nitty gritty. It suits my style of cleaning since both sides of the record are wet simultaneously and the vpi would not work for that. Clean with the spin clean, rinse in a tub then vacuum with the moth. :) I've heard my household vacuum cleaner make a diff on some records not all.

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back