Splitter device for connecting different amps to same speakers

ckn

I am looking for some kind of splitter device for connecting same speakers to different amps? Is something like that available?
I want to add a Tube amp to my current audio set up that is solid state. But I want to play the amp thru my existing speakers only. Can I use the same speakers by connecting it to a device that can then connect separately to my solid state and tube amp? I can then switch to the one that I want to use to listen.
The quality of this connection needs to be good so that it does not degrade the quality of the music.
Thanks in advance for any help.
ckn

You have to look for some device similar to this Speaker selector- There is lot of options available it depends on your budget.
link provided is active speaker selector.
Passive models will be much cheaper
image shows how to connect your speaker and amp1526833784730.png

Last edited:
I need a switcher to switch between two amps. Can anyone suggest a good "proven" one.

Do they share the same source? In that case you need both input selector and output selector.
Or in a simpler form, two Y cables to connect the source to both the amps simultaneously and a speaker selector at the output stages of the amps.

If the amps are integrated, then you can use one as a pre and the other as the power depending on the available features and then switch on the pre to use either one as an amp

Do they share the same source? In that case you need both input selector and output selector.
Or in a simpler form, two Y cables to connect the source to both the amps simultaneously and a speaker selector at the output stages of the amps.

If the amps are integrated, then you can use one as a pre and the other as the power depending on the available features and then switch on the pre to use either one as an amp

I am not too worried of the source even if it is same. I have direct connects on Opt or Co-ax to the stereo amp which I can leave untouched. I just need the front L & R speakers to be shared between the AVR and the AMP. I have tried using the Pre-amp / Zone option and it works fine for musice as this a 2 channel stereo. Hence no concerns here. The challenge is for a 5 channel movie playback. Even if I were to use a Zone3 ( Zone1+2) option which effectively means playing both the Mains and 2nd zone simultaneously, the output will be : Zone2-Stereo + Zone 1 (Main) playing at 5.0 without the front L + R speakers connected. There will hence be a void. Correct me if there is something I am missing.

I am not too worried of the source even if it is same. I have direct connects on Opt or Co-ax to the stereo amp which I can leave untouched. I just need the front L & R speakers to be shared between the AVR and the AMP. I have tried using the Pre-amp / Zone option and it works fine for musice as this a 2 channel stereo. Hence no concerns here. The challenge is for a 5 channel movie playback. Even if I were to use a Zone3 ( Zone1+2) option which effectively means playing both the Mains and 2nd zone simultaneously, the output will be : Zone2-Stereo + Zone 1 (Main) playing at 5.0 without the front L + R speakers connected. There will hence be a void. Correct me if there is something I am missing.

After some research on the web, I have ordered for Beresford TC-7220 MKIII Dual Amplifier/Speaker Selector Switch Audio Router. Its available on Ebay.com. A bit pricey but I would want to compromise on sound quality by introducing a low grade interface. I expect it to be a decent one. It provides for bi-wiring as well and hence is future proof. I will post my experience post usage. It will take a couple of weeks to reach me.

If you bought your gear in Mumbai, contact the dealer(s). Someone should be able to get one made for you.
I did have one made for me several years back but later separated the hifi and the HT so returned it.
There was a definite degradation in the sound and my stuff then was nowhere near the gear in your signature.
You need to be very careful in what you plan to do.

I will be making a speaker selector with DPDT switches with center off. It is mainly for amp comparison.
However it cannot be used on tube amps as it is unsafe to run then without load

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back