Stabilizer /UPS for TV

Digital_Reality

I am not sure if this topic is covered earlier. If covered, please send me link.

Recently I got Sony 43W950C TV and pondering over idea of getting UPS or stabilizer.

Can anyone please let me know if it's must have or we can leave without it.

Thanks in advance.

get a vguard stabilizer from V-guard (crystal plus) as i have it for my 42inch SONY TV. Since you will have the UPS for lights, fans, add the TV to the UPS circuit.

I also bought the crystal plus from v guard for my tv sony w950c.
It's is must have for investing that much money for tv...
You can get crystal plus for around 2.7 to 2.9k.

The Vguard Digi200 is specially designed for powering the AV Equipments. So go for it. I have one at home and is good.

DIGI 200 requires 15A socket, Crystal plus - 5 A.
Crystal plus even works at ultra low voltage of 90V but Digi 200 starts at 140V.
Their own brochure indicates crystal plus can be used with 42 inch tv and anything upto 47 inches can be used with Digi

I am afraid you have provided wrong specs about the digi200 stabiliser.
Crystal Plus spec: http://www.vguard.in/product-details/crystal-plus
Digi 200 spec: http://www.vguard.in/product-details/digi-200

So, Both have similar spec except that the Digi200 can support up to 6amps, which is 1300watts of power . So you can connect a 65" led TV, a av receiver and your bluray player. Where as the Crystal plus can only supply 3amps(650watts approx), which is half the capacity of the digi200.

The digi200 isn't more expensive than the crystal plus for no reason. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
You definitely cannot connect a 65 inch tv and a mid-level AVR to digi 200. it just does not have the juice to power both of them. Maybe a 65 inch tv and a low level AVR.

The PDF comparision brochure clearly states input voltage range starts at 140v for digi 200. Curiously, in the URL link page, the starting input voltage range is shown as 90 Volts. V-guard has to update either of the info.

Yes it is a higher capacity stabilizer, that is why you would need a 15 A socket. However i did have a typo-error related to size of tV that can support it. My bad.
A 65 inch tv normally consumes around 400 watts and at start-up, maybe around 700w for a few seconds. Hence crystal plus would not suffice for a 65 inch tv.

Crystal plus works with a 5 amp socket and definitely less powered than Digi 200. Maximum 650 watts capacity it can support.

Digi 200 can be had for 3700-4000 depending on the retailer you deal with. Crystal around 2800.

Last edited:
You are wrong onceagain.
Even the 65" samsung series 9 ultra HD tv consumes 275W at the MAX. The 78" samsung series 9 ultra HD tv consumes only 485W at max.
My 55" sammy tc only consumes less than 200W max and my panny 50" plasma consumes the highest power of close to 500W at the max.
And I have connected my Plasma tv and my marantz 5008 receiver and the Bluray player without any trouble. Av Receivers, even the high end marantz 7010 will consume 600w at the max, so there wont be any issue.However my emotiva poweramp? no way.

Only after calculating my power requirements and the capacity of the digi 200, did I purchace this one. If there was a high capacity stabiliser from vguard at that time, then sure I would have bought that one.

I will not be so sure to connect so many power hungry devices to a voltage stabilizer.
I highly doubt the efficiency of a stabilizer is 95% at all levels of load. They never give that rating like an UPS manufacturer would do. Plus with age, it is bound to go down.
650W is power consumption of SR5008 but the in-rush current at start-up is much higher. I feel you maybe maxing out the capacity of your stabilizer with such big TV, mid-level AVR and blu-ray player.
Since stabilizer cannot provide any real surge protection (contrary to what they claim) and if a stabilizer fails, what do you think is going to happen?
(LED TV's cannot handle wide voltage fluctuation compared to old CRT TV's).

When someone is spending lakhs of money on electronic devices, it would be inadvisable to rely on the weakest link in the chain to protect the investment.

Not to worry my friend. Right now, I have only connected the 55" led tv, which would hardly require around 100w and the marantz receiver.

Last edited:
One more thing. I would like to accept that you have won the argument.
First you started the argument debating that the vguard crystal plus is better than the digi200 and when I showed you the actual spec of the two and said that I have used it, you started debating about its capacity etc.
Do you think I would use an equipment without knowing it's potential?
All this to win the argument?
OK, I accept the defeat. You win. Happy!
Take rest my friend. No more arguments with you my friend.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back