Stablizer or what else?....

gkabillan

hi friends...

This is my first post in hifivision, after a long search for nearly one month i cant finalise and i even don't know what to buy.

For the past 3 years i was in kuwait and i never faced a power cut or voltage drop or etc...but now i shifted to india and moved all my home theatre setup to india. from the day i moved to my place(Erode,tamilnadu)there is a lot of voltage drop and power cut. so i want a stab or a equivalent equipment to take care of my HT setup.so i dont know any one here and i request u guys to help me....

my setup is as fallows...
1. yamaha RX V577 AV Receiver.
2. polk audio tl1600.
3. benq w 750 progector.
4. lg d2342p 23'' led 3D monitor.
5.my DYI Acer laptop DLNA server.
6. planned to buy a Blu ray.
7. Also planned for settop box with external tv tuner for lg display.

so i contacted a local stores and i told my requirement,they suggested for V-Guard DIGI-200 or main line 3kva stab. so please suggest me a good option.

Also if i connect a surge protector , where is that to be installed? after the stab or before the stab.

also if required i will remove the lg monitor and settop box from the set up.

the best protection is provided by a 2 box approach

1. Voltage stabilizer - this takes care of voltage drop issues and also has a voltage cut out for over or under voltage
(buy a plain voltage stabilzer here - not one with the jig jag having filter etc)

2. Box having a MOS ckt ,RF EMI filter and high quality sockets

I have all my gear connected a Belkin strip which in turn is connected to a APC online Smart UPS. Do you think this would suffice? Amp of course is directly connected to the UPS.

the best protection is provided by a 2 box approach

1. Voltage stabilizer - this takes care of voltage drop issues and also has a voltage cut out for over or under voltage
(buy a plain voltage stabilzer here - not one with the jig jag having filter etc)

2. Box having a MOS ckt ,RF EMI filter and high quality sockets
---------------------------------------------------

What is your opinion on Constant Voltage Transformer?
Just other day, I found this http://senpandit.com/constant-voltage.html

Last edited:
They certainly work better with regard to voltage correction. However most tend to 'hum' physically and do get quite warm especially when lightly loaded.
Have them demo a unit that you want. Buy after checking, you don't want nasty surprises.

They certainly work better with regard to voltage correction. However most tend to 'hum' physically and do get quite warm especially when lightly loaded.
Have them demo a unit that you want. Buy after checking, you don't want nasty surprises.

------------------------------------------------------------
I don't want to use stabilizer in my set-up. Most stabilizers claim to give output of 220V. But, in real-time situation output varies from 198-242V! If you look at the spec-sheet of any leading Indian stabilizer, you'll find output is rated 220v with +10/-10V. So, output varies from 198-242volt. IMO, 242 volt is well above recommended 220V. Situation worsens when input voltage hovers between 189-190V/219-220V, I've noticed, in this kind of situation output jumps from 198 volt to 242 volt and after a split-second it comes back to 198volt! It doesn't stop there, it continues! and you continue hearing 'clik-clik' form stabilizer, unless input voltage goes down or increases further! It could be isolated incident as my neighborhood faces worst fluctuation of frequency and voltage.

So, I want cost-effective solution and guidance, not only for my AV gear but also for other electrical/electronic equipments

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi SaraubhK

The belkin strip you mentioned is with surge protector ?

Can we connect this below way ?

All Devices -> Belkin Surge Protector -> DiGi 200 (Min Output 200V -Max Output 240V)

guys...is no one here to help me out? it a small answer from experts like you people...

Other than the plain (relay type) voltage stabiliser, you have the CVT (hums, generally available for low capacities only) and servo controlled voltage stabilisers (motorised, expensive and large).

There are also high end stabilisers (e.g. Furman) which work very well, but then you are talking of over 1 lakh for a stabiliser.

Belkin surge protector like this - Belkin 8 Socket Surge Protector (F9G826vzb) Price in India - Buy Belkin 8 Socket Surge Protector (F9G826vzb) online at Flipkart.com will work on spikes and it also also will take care of the local cable and Ethernet line related fault, but before that (upstream) you should either use an online UPS (safest) or a servo stabilizer to stabilize the voltage. I would not recommend any relay based cheap automatic voltage stabilize due to sudden spikes & dips. CVT will not be good for Audio equipments due to humming noise and high EMI field.

Last edited:
Invest in a pure sine wave online UPS from APC or Liebert. Its worth the money. If thats not an option, a good quality power strip with surge protection from Belkin will be better than a stabilizer. Electronics dont work on AC power anyway. They create their own DC voltages. The ON-OFF cycles and surges are more likely to damage equipment.

I use a Vertex (Chennai) stabilizer.

The following was told to me by a very knowledgeable person for online UPS and CVT:
As far as sound quality is concerned, they are both equally good. Advantage with UPS of course is that you can use the system even when there is a power outage. And with a CVT, remember that it must always be at optimum load. If you leave the CVT on and the system off for more than a few minutes, it could damage the CVT. This is not an issue if you just do what I used to...I would never switch off the pieces of audio. All switches in on position always. I would just put the CVT on and off.
Also remember -- with both the UPS and CVT, it must be kept outside the listening.room, as they both generate noise.

Thanks for the valuable information shared here by the experts to make my decession, also, i have collected some details and instruments after your informations.

1. vertex servo stab 3kva for Rs 11500 (15% discount available from the mentioned price)
2. belkin advanced series surge protector - Rs 1999

Also as mentioned by @jairus, i have a ups and im not sure about the pure sine wave thing.
Here is my doubt, presently i have connected my projector to the ups line. In case of power cut the projector wont shut down imme and it can take its 5sec time to cooldown and shut down. The AV receiver and sub-woofer is connected to power sockets which dont have a back up power. In future how to connect the equipments?

idea 1.) power---->servo stab----> surge protector----> AVR+SUB+projector and misc equipments

idea 2.) leave the projector to UPS line and SUB to socket without UPS. And the AVR alone to power---->servo stab----> surge protector----> AVR + misc

please guide me through this also.

BTW don't trust only on Belkin Surge Protector. I had one, and when the transformer of our apartment burst, the TV was damaged; but the surge protector was still working. I called the Belkin helpdesk for the connected device support, but they said that I need to send the device to them for checking after which they will decide if I can claim for the connected device warranty. Also they need a letter from the service center stating that it was due to the power issue that the TV was damaged.
Since the service center in Bangalore works only from 9-5pm, I can only return the surge protector on Saturday; and the last few weeks I was engaged to not able to get it returned, and this Saturday being second Saturday, they are closed :(.

I would still suggest don,t go for the servo stabilizer. they are motor based with quite poor response times... they are ideal for units running off AC power.... the rectifier in any hifi piece works at 12 or at the most 24 volt. even a 20 percent fluctuation across the 220 v ac line will not impact the dc output.... what you need is a pure sine wave ups of 1 kva rating from liebert or APC. you are looking at an expense of INR 15 - 16 k..... and it will back up all your gear for about 10 mins....

I would still suggest don,t go for the servo stabilizer. they are motor based with quite poor response times... they are ideal for units running off AC power.... the rectifier in any hifi piece works at 12 or at the most 24 volt. even a 20 percent fluctuation across the 220 v ac line will not impact the dc output.... what you need is a pure sine wave ups of 1 kva rating from liebert or APC. you are looking at an expense of INR 15 - 16 k..... and it will back up all your gear for about 10 mins....

Sorry to say, I 2nd your opinion on servo stabilizer. Their response time may be slow but it is enough to keep safe your valuable electronics. I am making this statement purely based on my practical experience for last 6 years. Believe me, before using the servo servo stabilizer I had to keep continuous relationship with various service center through out the year.

Funny part is, recently one of the technician call me and asked why I do not visit them any more. I told him after installing the servo, problems have dramatically reduced. So I think, a good servo with surge protector will serve the purpose. My vertex Servo stabilizer also have sensitivity adjustment nob to improve the response time. But I never played with it, just kept it on middle.

But as I suggested before, online UPS will be number one solution. Servo with surge protector will come 2nd.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back