Standard STBs and Live TV Recording

Catastrofix

Hi,

Apologies for creating a new thread but couldn't find a more recent relevant thread on the forum [pls do let me know if there is one and this thread can then be closed].

I had a couple of questions relating to recording live TV from a Standard Tata Sky STB [not Tata Sky+, not Tata Sky+ HD]. Let me state upfront that I am somewhat of a novice at this as a result of which my questions might appear naive, pls be gentle

1. Can Live TV from a Standard [basic version] Tata Sky STB be recorded on a device for viewing [on the same TV itself] later?
2. If yes, how? Does a DVR need to be connected between the STB and the TV? Or is there some other way?
3. Is it legal for such Live TV [from a Standard STB] to be recorded? [I intend to playback the content on the same TV as the STB is connected to].

Thanks a lot folks. This is an amazing forum!

I am not sure of DVR but you can do it easily using a PC/Laptop and USB TV tuner cards. SD ones are cheap = 1-1.5K and last for years. I am using enter tv tuner card for past 6 yrs. Can record unlimited till my hard disk space. Rec quality is SD only. You can use timer option to record while you are away. Recorded videos are in standard format = playable in tv/mobile/any other device.
I am not sure if you can see in TV and record in PC together. Though might be possible using RF and AV cables simultaneously.
I don't see any legal complications unless you share openly.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back