Started to set up my hifi system.

Listner

Hello all HVF members.
I am not new here as I have posted earlier also.
For the past few months I was searching for setting up a hifi system ie tt, amp, speakers.
In so doing I frequently read posts in this forum, watched YouTube videos, read reviews, searched websites for equipments for my set up.
So now it has come down to this -
TT - Project Debut Carbon Evo.
Amplifier - Torvin G20 int amp + good cables (read some good things about Torvin)
Pre amp - Project Phono Box E.
These I have purchased.
What remains are the speakers & I would prefer FS to BS as I had auditioned some BS speakers but they weren't to my liking.
My budget for FS speakers is around 40k to 45k.
This because I had actually wanted to spend around 35k for tt but overshot it by 14k.
So that is the amt I am left with for FS speakers.
Auditioning won't be possible for me due to some family exigencies.
My listening pleasure is Indian classical music, ghazals,old hindi film songs & some western pop.
Source - records, CDs (I have an old Philips cd player, still works).
I fervently request forum members' suggestions to point me in the right direction.
Thanks to all HVF members.

What remains are the speakers & I would prefer FS to BS as I had auditioned some BS speakers but they weren't to my liking.
Could you explain what is the particular attribute that detracted from the bookshelfs you auditioned vis-a-vis the Floorstanders?

Could you also mention the make and model of speakers that you auditioned?

That'll go a long way in giving FMs the relevant insight to guide you better.

Could you explain what is the particular attribute that detracted from the bookshelfs you auditioned vis-a-vis the Floorstanders?

Could you also mention the make and model of speakers that you auditioned?

That'll go a long way in giving FMs the relevant insight to guide you better.
Thanks DB1989 for your reply. QA 3030i, 3020i, Concept 20 & 30, Elac bs, Heco victa bs.
The QAs I thought were a little high on treble though with good mids but the low fqs were on the lower side. After listening for sometime I felt that listening to them for long periods might be fatiguing. The Elacs sound I found to be lacking in clarity, did not bring out the full fq range. And the Heco was too bright for my liking. All the above speakers soundstage were quite narrow for my liking.
Also auditioned Dali oberon3 bs which I liked best for its overall music reproduction, soundstage, clarity, warmth good balance of bass & treble.
Here let me mention the Qa's, Elac's & Dali were paired with Marantz pm6007 & tt whereas the Heco was paired with Marantz pm7005(if I remember correctly) and a cd player.
All that I have mentioned are IMHO.
I don't know if this explains fully what you wanted to know. (I tried my best but I am no expert).

Are the dali s
In your budget
If yes
They are not bad choices

Have you looked at Indique audio ?

Budget 50k on floorstanders
You have few options
Indique may be worth a consideration
If dali is out of budget

Thanks DB1989 for your like to my post to your reply. Your suggestions on selecting the right speakers will help me.
Magma, many thanks for your suggestions.
If you asked about Dali Spektor6, then yes they are within budget and will keep them in my options.
But if I may ask do you have them or heard or auditioned them. If so how do they sound.
Also how will they match up with the Torvin G20 amp.
I have read that their built quality is not so good and as they have 2 back ports, they require to be placed well away from wall which could be an issue.
I have heard about Indiq Audio and that they are v good but 50k is the constraint here.

Read some reviews of NHT superones. I think they are fantastic with no fuss about placement as they are sealed speakers. Very balanced and musical in my experience.

Read some reviews of NHT superones. I think they are fantastic with no fuss about placement as they are sealed speakers. Very balanced and musical in my experience.
irv, thanks for coming in with your views.
I am looking for fs speakers (which can be categorised as budget) in my price range.
I have Philips speakers bought in 1985 if I remember correctly which are 2 way with 6.5" driver and a tweeter which are also sealed but with 2 pin din plug. The specs I don't remember.
My friends suggested to cut the din plug make a diy with banana plugs but I am not not confident it will work.
Can you pl suggest some fs speakers in my budget range.
Some pics of my Philips speaker & Torvin amp & spec sheet.Screenshot_20221114-210147_EStrongs File.jpgScreenshot_20221114-210115_EStrongs File.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026-131859_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026-131859_Drive.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20221114-210925_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20221114-210925_WhatsApp.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Sonodyne has floorstanders in your budget and may get discount depending on the dealer.
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=s...gAQHIAQ3AAQHaAQYIARABGAk&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
regards
Thanks Hiten. A few queries (probably foolish or dumb) come to mind.
Will the speakers be suitable fo my kind of music.
As I have got the Torvin G20 amp do you think they will match up well looking at the specs. I don't understand them very much therefore seeking help here as such knowledge is in abundance amongst members.
BTW I like your listening choices.

Perhaps your best bet on you budget
Thanks irv. I have checked it out and you are right, perfect for my budget with good reviews.
But as I have no expertise in analyzing specifications my another issue is how will they sound with the Torvin amp.
I also checked some other fs brands like Polk T50, Mission LX4 MKII, Monitor audio Monitor200, Taga, Dali spektor6, Yamaha NS8390 & NS F160, etc.
But again, the moot question is which are the right ones for the amp I have. For instance a speaker with FQ 70hz - 20000khz and another with 40hz - 30000kh - will a sub be required for lower fq for fomer as compared to the latter.
Various specs terms are latin and greek to me.
And so this forum is the ideal place with members like you & many more to find answers.

Last edited:
Hello all HVF members.
I am not new here as I have posted earlier also.
For the past few months I was searching for setting up a hifi system ie tt, amp, speakers.
In so doing I frequently read posts in this forum, watched YouTube videos, read reviews, searched websites for equipments for my set up.
So now it has come down to this -
TT - Project Debut Carbon Evo.
Amplifier - Torvin G20 int amp + good cables (read some good things about Torvin)
Pre amp - Project Phono Box E.
These I have purchased.
This because I had actually wanted to spend around 35k for tt but overshot it by 14k.
So that is the amt I am left with for FS speakers.
Auditioning won't be possible for me due to some family exigencies.
My listening pleasure is Indian classical music, ghazals,old hindi film songs & some western pop.
Source - records, CDs (I have an old Philips cd player, still works).
I fervently request forum members' suggestions to point me in the right direction.
Thanks to all HVF members.
Why don't Torvin speakers? Have you checked with your amp manufacturer? It will be better match with their own speakers, or they can guide you to the right direction. If you search in this forum, there are few satisfied users having Torvin amplifiers and speakers.

Why don't Torvin speakers? Have you checked with your amp manufacturer? It will be better match with their own speakers, or they can guide you to the right direction. If you search in this forum, there are few satisfied users having Torvin amplifiers and speakers.
Thanks premoddev for your input. I am in touch with them. Actually I got the Torvin amp after I came across some posts about Torvin in this forum and will be contacting them.

Since you have already auditioned the QA, Dali, Elac and Heco with the Marantz, would you be able to take your Torvin along and now hear these speakers with the Torvin.
You would then be able to narrow down the choice as per your sound preference.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back