Starter Kit for Music - Norge or Yamaha or other?

UPDATE - Ordered the TP-20

I finally got a demo of the Norge at Vector's, Hyd. It was the Concerto Gold 1000 series - was taken out of a brand new sealed pack just for my demo. Thank you Vector. They were hooked up to a pair of Wharfedale 9.1s (they didn't have 9.2s available).

Long story short, both my wife and I were very underwhelmed. Maybe we had our expectations set too high, or maybe the unit was defective, or the setup was not proper, but it didn't sound much better than the usual Philipps/Sony Hi-FI at any home electronics store. We spent about an hour and tested with both CD & an mp3 player. Even the store guy said that something seemed wrong.

The Marantz (6xxx something) setup next to it was simply amazing to hear. It was connected to a pair of floor-standers (forgot the make), and boy did it make some music! Sadly the setup was way over what I was prepared to spend, and my wife is completely against floor-standers.

So, I am back to the forum favorite - the Topping TP-20. I have opened a HDFC bank account and made use of their NetCard feature to generate a virtual credit card for online purchases (a cool facility - and its free). Ordered the TP-20 from indeed-hi-fi (another forum favorite) and already got the shipping notice. I guess I will see it in about 2-3 weeks if customs doesn't create any problems.

For the speakers, I scouted around and found the JBL Control One at a local vendor for Rs 7K a pair, but haven't bought them yet. Am waiting to hear about the availability of CA S30 from the same vendor.

Once I get the amp, I will post my experience with the TP-20 in the Topping thread. Thanks for all your help & advice.

Cheers
Teja

Congrats Teja on getting the Credit Card and Topping.

Dont waste time in speaker auditions till you get your amp. After that take the amp along and do the auditions.

Keep a decent budget for the cables and interconnects. You will need a stand too for the BS.

Ive recently picked up Norge Reference 2000 coupled with Millenium BS Speakers for a total of 24K. It sounds good although this is the first "audiophile" system I have purchased. My take for what it's worth :)

Final update - Got the TP-20 today. Already purchased a pair of JBL Control One BS speakers a couple of days back (CA S30 were not available readily).

Have been listening to the setup all evening (for more than 2 hours) and I am very satisfied - especially for the price. I will continue to post my feedback with them over in the Topping thread.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, advice and support.

Cheers
Teja

Final update - Got the TP-20 today. Already purchased a pair of JBL Control One BS speakers a couple of days back (CA S30 were not available readily).

Have been listening to the setup all evening (for more than 2 hours) and I am very satisfied - especially for the price. I will continue to post my feedback with them over in the Topping thread.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, advice and support.

Cheers
Teja

CA S30s 2 pairs are available in bangalore with Audio planet for 8k...

FYI :D

Enjoy your setup

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back