Starting off in DIY

stereorules

I am a total newbie in the world of DIY....Ultimately, I want to build my own amp..thats my goal...So am looking for help from guys in Hyd...am a total beginner..have never soldered although I did have an iron once...Had always wanted to get into hobby electronics but thats been an unfulfilled dream ...at least till now and now, I finally want to start off my journey...

Any Hyd members who can help me ....All help would be appreciated..Incidentally, I have started reading up from here :

Elliott Sound Products - DIY Audio Articles

A very good site and very informative...Have also started reading up 'Getting started in electronics' by Forrest M. Mims .. Any advice wud be appreciated...

Building an amp will require basic electronics skills. Nevermind if you ve not had that all this while. You will find plenty of information on what you are trying to build on the forums and net. Rod's site is an excellent start too.

The only problem has been availability of good components in the local market. Nevertheless, Vegakit has some TDA2030 amp boards that you could use as a start. These are available at Roland electronics, Koti. If all goes well, you could go for something bigger and better next time. Its fun to toy around and learn.

I too am currently in the same city and on my way to build some good amps and something more.

Welcome to DIY.

Regards,
Goldy

Hi

You can take the first tentative steps into DIY buy reading the thread on group buy of mauro penasa DIY kits posted by linuxguru. Then if you are convinced, you can opt in for a kit.

Rgds

Rajesh

+1 to what Rajesh recommends-good way to make a start. Then for the speakers, then the sub, then the DAC, then the source, then the cables, then...

Hi stereorules,

For a person new to soldering, I think the vegakit board will be a good place to start with - it's cheap and uses locally available components. The initial experiences of dry solder joints & tracks coming off the boards etc won't burn a hole in the pocket. Even though TDA2030 specs are not good for an audiophile setup, it can act as a testing amp for your future projects - preamps, xovers etc or may be as a surround amp.

Regds...

Thanx for the responses guys ..
@ goldyrathore : Thats just the kind of information I was looking for ..starting off...
@ captrajesh : In fact that is what woke me up from my slumber and made me do something instead of just thinking...In fact, was thinking of taking members opinion regarding that kit...How is the sound of that as compared to something like the Topping ?
@ GeorgeO : Yes...its the beginning of a journey..But I'm only planning as far as an amp and a DAC at this stage...:)

@ captrajesh : In fact that is what woke me up from my slumber and made me do something instead of just thinking...In fact, was thinking of taking members opinion regarding that kit...How is the sound of that as compared to something like the Topping ?

I saw in one of the threads that one of the forum members had indeed imported the kit of mauro / uriah and had made the amp. Why don't you tie up with the member and check it out yourself. AFAIK, the amp would be reasonably powerful and definitely a solid stepping stone into audiophile territory through DIY route. As they say it in Hindi, Sone pe Suhaga.:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back