Starting on a room treatment journey....(or not)

Let me try and put in my understanding of this
Every distribution/stepdown stage with a transformer would remove a lot of impurities
How will a step down transformer especially an EI or toroidal transformer remove impurities? Due to the design of these transformers there is a capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary winding causing all the RF and EMI noise to pass from Primary to Secondary. Only an R-core transformer can be of help in removing the RF and EMI noise as the primary and secondary are not one over the other, but on two separate legs of the transformer reducing flux leakages.

If you add any common mode choke or an x2 capacitor they may reduce some of these noise, but they will again Suck out all energy from music. Not to speak of resonance issues due to an L- C components.

The best approach imo, is to opt an gear where an R-core transformer is used in the amplifier and preamplifier to avoid all noise at the source itself. Everything else is a bandaid.

How will a step down transformer especially an EI or toroidal transformer remove impurities? Due to the design of these transformers there is a capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary winding causing all the RF and EMI noise to pass from Primary to Secondary. Only an R-core transformer can be of help in removing the RF and EMI noise as the primary and secondary are not one over the other, but on two separate legs of the transformer reducing flux leakages.
These are the distribution transformers used to step down from 33kv/11, 11KV/400 or 400/230. I am not aware they can be Toroidal since I have only seen and heard of the regular ones ?

Anyway key point is that power issues are kept within the "Local Loop"

These are the distribution transformers used to step down from 33kv/11, 11KV/400 or 400/230. I am not aware they can be Toroidal since I have only seen and heard of the regular ones ?

Anyway key point is that power issues are kept within the "Local Loop"
Ok, distribution transformers are typically EI type - but am not sure. Noise can be random and be superimposed on the LINE AC itself. Stepdown typically may reduce the voltage but unless there is some filtration happening the RF/ EMI may still be present. That's the reason there is a thriving noise reduction market out there. Isolation transformer can help reduce common mode noise, but differential noise can still pass through.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back