Stereo Amp for Dali Lektor 2 speakers

Bhaskie, I have a Marantz receiver not a stereo amp. But I have heard the PM6003 as well as 7003 with various speakers. I have a very healthy regard for them as well.

I will put it to you this way - if you are the sort of person who prefers warmth in music and would love for the music to remain in the background, then a NAD would suit your tastes. If you are looking for detail and more musical involvement then a Marantz would be better. Even though this is a generalization, I have found that it fits for many of the models from each of the companies.

Both of these amps are non fatiguing. If anything the Marantz is a bit brighter than the NAD. Then again it depends on individual preferences. Personally I like what Marantz does with vocals and the detail it brings out of the music.

Also I would not worry too much about the power differentials and all that. There was an interesting writeup on this power differential thing at Musical Fidelity's site. Welcome to Musical Fidelity

Tonality and signature characteristic (like warmth with NAD and detail with Marantz) is far more important than just power. Unless of course we are talking of a significantly huge power differential - think greater than 50 watts or so.

Interesting link. Thanks :)

but where is the "You can also use the enclosed slide rule for this calculation. " ??

Regards

Square wave

The sound from the PM 17 was very muddy . It lacked the bass and the hi frequency was also not attractive. i dont know how to tell reg the Neutral and Tonality , But as a whole the amp did not match the Dali ikon 2 .
My friend is using a Old Model Mordaunt Short with this PM 17 and the sound is ok with that combination. The cables are Atallona and the music i normally listen is old hindi songs and Ghazals and some English pop and country.

vijay.

Edit : I heard the Dali ikon 2 with PM 17 , the next day i bought my speakers , the reason for the sound difference may be due to the speakers which were not yet break in.

Very surprising Vijay. I know someone using this amp with much higher end speakers and it sounds just fine.
Is this amp first owner or bought used ?

My amp sounded muddy too - until I put the speakers on spikes resting on 12mm glass resting on suckers. Don't blame the amp so easily it may be innocent :)

Cheers

Bhaskie, I have a Marantz receiver not a stereo amp. But I have heard the PM6003 as well as 7003 with various speakers. I have a very healthy regard for them as well.

I will put it to you this way - if you are the sort of person who prefers warmth in music and would love for the music to remain in the background, then a NAD would suit your tastes. If you are looking for detail and more musical involvement then a Marantz would be better. Even though this is a generalization, I have found that it fits for many of the models from each of the companies.

Both of these amps are non fatiguing. If anything the Marantz is a bit brighter than the NAD. Then again it depends on individual preferences. Personally I like what Marantz does with vocals and the detail it brings out of the music.

Also I would not worry too much about the power differentials and all that. There was an interesting writeup on this power differential thing at Musical Fidelity's site. Welcome to Musical Fidelity

Tonality and signature characteristic (like warmth with NAD and detail with Marantz) is far more important than just power. Unless of course we are talking of a significantly huge power differential - think greater than 50 watts or so.

Thanks for your comments vortex!

Yes, I prefer the marantz sound to the NAD. I would like to get the Marantz PM 11s1 or the Cyrus 8vs2 for these speakers. In my opinion in a small room the lektor 2 combined with a very good and powerful amp sounds sublime! Nearly as good as some of the speakers priced over 2 times! And I am not exaggerating.

I understand how the power requirements and sensitivity translate to DbW and peak levels that are explained in that link you provided.
I have outlined in my earlier posts that I am happy with the 85db at 2.5mtr listening distance with the amp headroom of 12-15dB which translates to 100W of amp power according to my calculations. This means my system's peak level would be 97 dB, far less than the 106 green level that is considered to be hi-fi.

I am waiting for the PM 7003 to come next week so that I can audition it. Until I find a very good used amplifier that suits my taste, I don't have too many options around. I am getting the Cyrus 8vs2 for 40k (grey) but am trying to look for a better price.

Thanks again!
Bhaskie

Hi,
Have not heard these speakers so cant say for sure but a Marantz PM 7001 should be good. In bbay it can be got grey for as low as 22/23 K and thats good VFM. Now these PM 11 s1 and S2 are better but at 5 X and 10 X the price. IMO a 7001 at the price above is a better option than the 7003 at the price it retails. I know the dali is supposed to pair well with cyrus but IMO a marantz is a better option if i were choosing between the two.

The PM 17 is anything but a muddy amp !! In fact it will outperform many of the so called budget/mid priced champs.

Rgds

Hi,
Have not heard these speakers so cant say for sure but a Marantz PM 7001 should be good. In bbay it can be got grey for as low as 22/23 K and thats good VFM. Now these PM 11 s1 and S2 are better but at 5 X and 10 X the price. IMO a 7001 at the price above is a better option than the 7003 at the price it retails. I know the dali is supposed to pair well with cyrus but IMO a marantz is a better option if i were choosing between the two.

The PM 17 is anything but a muddy amp !! In fact it will outperform many of the so called budget/mid priced champs.

Rgds

Hi Dinyaar,

Thanks for the comments. I am getting the PM 7001 for Rs. 21k here in Delhi (grey). I am just scared of getting it since I've never bought any hifi equipment from the grey market yet. What if I get a repaired/defective amp that goes poof in a year or two - that's what I am worried about!

Any positive feedback on the grey market pieces would be a relief though :)

That's a good point Bhaskie. Buying from grey/ used/ online - fear is the same. Can people guide on how to buy/ what to check when buying from these sources?

Maybe another thread would be suitable for this discussion. Does any one know a trustworthy online seller?

regards

Hi Dinyaar,

Thanks for the comments. I am getting the PM 7001 for Rs. 21k here in Delhi (grey). I am just scared of getting it since I've never bought any hifi equipment from the grey market yet. What if I get a repaired/defective amp that goes poof in a year or two - that's what I am worried about!

Any positive feedback on the grey market pieces would be a relief though :)

Hi,
I surely cant tell u to buy with confidence from grey. Electonics can fail. I dont have a clue about Delhi grey market.
In bbay i would take my chances provided the difference in price is vast. There are a few vendors that i would buy from and if things go wrong then i have to get it fixed at my own risk/expense naturally.
Well i have bought gear from grey and also bought gear abroad. For both i get no warranty support in most cases.
Its unlikely a dud will last for 1/2 years. Grey market peices ??? are also geniune components just got into the country by the alternative route so they are the same in quality as anything the distributors dish out. Problem is ascertaining whether the component is 'new' or tampered with and this is the problem which most of us worry about. Getting a marantz/Nad/Denon fixed is very easy anyway.

See buddy i am not pushing u to buy grey but that I would consider if the price difference is unreasonable.
Rgds

See buddy i am not pushing u to buy grey but that I would consider if the price difference is unreasonable.
Rgds

of course i understand that! Your input gives me some confidence, but finally I have to decide for myself.

Even I bought my Xonar Essence STX and Dali speakers from abroad, so I don't have any warranty at all (just got them tested out before getting them so that I could return them before coming back). I don't know any reliable guys in the grey market in Delhi, but I guess if I want to pocket the huge difference I will have to make a start this time!

It does make me greedy looking at the prices I am getting:
PM7001 (grey) - 21k
PM7001 (bill+3yrs) - 29k
PM7003 (bill+3yrs) - 34k

I will go and audition the grey PM7001 for a couple of hours (a distributor has promised to get me a grey piece and let me test it out) and see how it goes. I don't want to directly go to the grey market even though I might be able to get the same piece for 20k because I don't really know anybody there. If he can get me a good piece and pocket 1-2k, I don't really care as long as I am saving 13k. Don't know whether the move will pay off, but I will give it a shot nonetheless :D

Will keep you guys updated!

Cheers!
Bhaskie

Which amp did you select finally mate? I also just purchased Asus Xonar Essence STX card from Rashi Peripherals (Through Imhran, Kollam Kerala). Delivered price Rs. 7600 (MRP Rs. 10900). Now I am looking for 2.0 BS speaker & Amp.

Please share your final purchase and listening expeience.

Which amp did you select finally mate? I also just purchased Asus Xonar Essence STX card from Rashi Peripherals (Through Imhran, Kollam Kerala). Delivered price Rs. 7600 (MRP Rs. 10900). Now I am looking for 2.0 BS speaker & Amp.

Please share your final purchase and listening expeience.

I finally got the Marantz PM7003. specs here: Marantz PM 7003.

I will write a detailed review once the speakers break in (need o give some 100 hrs). But for the time let me say that the combination is just sublime!

The Dali Lektor 2, after only 2 hrs of break-in, sounded much better than the Quad 11L which is one of my favourite BS. I auditioned the Lektor 2 next to Ikon 1 and they felt as good (the Ikons had 100+ hrs on them already).

I liked the Marantz PM15S1 but it was twice the price. This combo just beat the hell out of several 100k+ systems I've auditioned in the last 6 months.

BTW how the hell did you get the Xonar STX for <7k ($150)????
It comes for $200 at newegg and $212 on amazon even now. I hope you havent received any refurb/returned unit. Do check everything (line-in, headphone amp, RCA outs) properly. Happy listening!

The Essence STX card has proper Distri label. It was manufactured in Singapore in Mar'09. Have you checked its price in Singapore market? The card looks absolutely new.

How much you have paid for Marantz 7003? Can you name the shop / dealer/ distributor, from where you have purchased at Delhi? Marantz amp is my favourite too.

How much distance you have left from the speaker and the rear wall? My setup will be in my bedroom and there will be very small (6-8") gap between the speaker and rear wall. Whether Dali speakers can be fit in this setup?

One guy gets a quote for 34K, another buys for 24K, this is ridiculous.

I was getting (laughable) quotes of 28K for the cd6002 from Delhi finally picked it for 10K less from BassTreble in Coimbatore. (Still a 4K premium over International pricing but I was in a hurry).

The South Indian distie/dealers for marantz appear to be more rational and reasonable.

I would urge you Delhi guys to please check with them.

Regards

did you buy in person or over internet with them?

regards

I was getting (laughable) quotes of 28K for the cd6002 from Delhi finally picked it for 10K less from BassTreble in Coimbatore. (Still a 4K premium over International pricing but I was in a hurry).

The South Indian distie/dealers for marantz appear to be more rational and reasonable.

Regards

The Essence STX card has proper Distri label. It was manufactured in Singapore in Mar'09. Have you checked its price in Singapore market? The card looks absolutely new.

How much you have paid for Marantz 7003? Can you name the shop / dealer/ distributor, from where you have purchased at Delhi? Marantz amp is my favourite too.

How much distance you have left from the speaker and the rear wall? My setup will be in my bedroom and there will be very small (6-8") gap between the speaker and rear wall. Whether Dali speakers can be fit in this setup?

I am not aware of Singapore prices. Just that it sounded too good to be true. In any case its a great deal man! I would get myself another one if I can get it for that price :)

The 7003 is for 34k from Pro Acoustics, Khan Mkt. It's with bill and 1 yr warranty.

The lektors don't need any space behind them. They are made that way. You should look for good front ported bookshelves.

Regards

Well I honestly don't bother that someone got the same amp for 24k. The best price I was getting for the PM 7003 was 450/499 pounds in the UK. That comes out to be 33k-37k. On top of that I would have had to pay customs etc as well as excess baggage (25 GBP per kg :D).

My main requirement was getting the amp as a sealed piece from a physical store after audition and with bill and warranty. These guys have good technicians and provide support if anything goes wrong, and they are located in the same city.

The last thing I wanted to do is buy an amp over the web from an unknown person in another city. Just not my cup of tea. I was getting the PM7001 for 20k in Delhi (grey) but didn't buy it. It sounded quite nice but I could never tell if it conks off in 6 months. Need my night's sleep man! YMMV!

Cheers!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back