Stereo Amp for Dali Lektor 2 speakers

One guy gets a quote for 34K, another buys for 24K, this is ridiculous.

I was getting (laughable) quotes of 28K for the cd6002 from Delhi finally picked it for 10K less from BassTreble in Coimbatore. (Still a 4K premium over International pricing but I was in a hurry).

The South Indian distie/dealers for marantz appear to be more rational and reasonable.

I would urge you Delhi guys to please check with them.

Regards

BTW I had checked with Bass and Treble Coimbatore a month back on the Marantz PM 7003. Dev was giving it for 34k.

Hey Bhaskie!
Seems you are done with your stereo setup! Are you now able to sleep or is the beautiful sound keeping you awake?
So finally it is obvious that you went for marantz. The khan market ppl on phone once recommended me against marantz saying the new stuff has lot of issues. Not sure they said so because they wanted to sell something else.
Did you get to audition/ compare more amps in that price range, including those from HK?

regards

Well I honestly don't bother that someone got the same amp for 24k. The best price I was getting for the PM 7003 was 450/499 pounds in the UK. That comes out to be 33k-37k. On top of that I would have had to pay customs etc as well as excess baggage (25 GBP per kg :D).

My main requirement was getting the amp as a sealed piece from a physical store after audition and with bill and warranty. These guys have good technicians and provide support if anything goes wrong, and they are located in the same city.

The last thing I wanted to do is buy an amp over the web from an unknown person in another city. Just not my cup of tea. I was getting the PM7001 for 20k in Delhi (grey) but didn't buy it. It sounded quite nice but I could never tell if it conks off in 6 months. Need my night's sleep man! YMMV!

Cheers!

Hi
Firstly there is no problem with any marantz amps. They are well built units that rarely ever fail so the guys who say otherwise are just trying to sell u something they want to sell u instead of the marantz. Dont read too much more into it.

Bhaskie congratulations on the amp. Since u bought it with Bill, why is the warranty limited to a year as against the 3 yrs that is generally offered? Anyway dont lose any sleep on this and just enjoy the music.

I can vouch for the huge price variances in Marantz gear in bbay too. For a cdp that i was considering recently the official price was above 3L and the grey price was under 2L!!!! The grey chap was ready for a home audition while the other guy was not keen to as he had only a 'sealed peice'!!!!

Finally, the last time i checked the marantz web site did not have an Indian distributor enlisted.

Rgds

Last edited:
Bhaskie congratulations on the amp. Since u bought it with Bill, why is the warranty limited to a year as against the 3 yrs that is generally offered? Anyway dont lose any sleep on this and just enjoy the music.

I can vouch for the huge price variances in Marantz gear in bbay too. For a cdp that i was considering recently the official price was above 3L and the grey price was under 2L!!!! The grey chap was ready for a home audition while the other guy was not keen to as he had only a 'sealed peice'!!!!

Finally, the last time i checked the marantz web site did not have an Indian distributor enlisted.

Rgds

Hi Dinyaar, I had asked the dealer why he's not offering 3 yrs warranty, and he said that they just don't. So I could either take it or leave it!

I am fully aware of the 3 yrs warranty generally offered on Marantz stuff. There is another dealer who gives 3 yr warranty but the guy doesn't even have the amp, he's been telling me he would get them _soon_ for a long time.

Anyway, I just didn't want a grey piece. So I went ahead with it. ABout the price variance, I didn't actually see any with the 7003. All the dealers in Delhi quoted me exactly 34.2k. Even guys from the south quoted me the same price.

I wouldn't worry too much about Abhijit's 24k pricing since I'm sure he's quoting a grey price (without warranty and papers). Couple of times earlier I remember him quoting ridiculously low prices for other gear as well and later clafirying that they are grey. In particular getting the Denon 1909 for 30k.. I still remember that.

Cheers!

Here is what is written on the Marantz website and I quote:

"WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS: The warranty on Marantz products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently Marantz has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. Marantz sell products through authorized retail and on-line channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized Marantz dealer/E-tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered.

If in doubt, call Marantz at (630) 741-0300.
"

Moreover, they dont have any distributors or Authorized Marantz Service Centers in India.

Here is what is written on the Marantz website and I quote:

"WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS: The warranty on Marantz products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently Marantz has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. Marantz sell products through authorized retail and on-line channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized Marantz dealer/E-tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered.

If in doubt, call Marantz at (630) 741-0300.
"

Moreover, they dont have any distributors or Authorized Marantz Service Centers in India.

The Marantz Singapore website has a list of Indian Representatives. Welcome to Marantz
I called the guy in Bombay and he in turn directed me to a shop called 'Viola' in Andheri...

So, I guess it seems like an authentic channel. Bought my amp from Viola... Auditioned the PM7001 & PM8003, went for the later (38K). The guy verbally said warranty of 1 year, but if the channel is authentic then shouldn't it be a 3-year warranty?

one point on Warranty - the regional distributor can set his/her own warranty/service terms. While this can vary from manufacturer to manufactuerer and distributor to distributor, there is no written rule that says that the distributor should honor what the company does worldwide. In general, for many reasons bigger companies would want consistency but to be really sure you need to write to the company.
There are certain products that we carry where we go with manufacturer warranty and some where we go beyond.
Hope that was helpful.

cheers
Sridhar

The Marantz Singapore website has a list of Indian Representatives. Welcome to Marantz
I called the guy in Bombay and he in turn directed me to a shop called 'Viola' in Andheri...

So, I guess it seems like an authentic channel. Bought my amp from Viola... Auditioned the PM7001 & PM8003, went for the later (38K). The guy verbally said warranty of 1 year, but if the channel is authentic then shouldn't it be a 3-year warranty?

I called up the Delhi number from the same page you have provided. These guys are from Decibels India (Delhi).

The MRP's they quoted for the Marantz PM 7003 and 8003 are as follows:
7003: Rs. 36800
8003: Rs. 49800

So depending on discount etc. from dealers, the price will be slightly less hopefully. In any case, Delhi prices are on the higher side.

Hi

As far as i know there wasl no distributor for marantz Home audio in our country. Its not mentioned on their website too.
Maybe being in the trade odyssey would know better but from what i gather anyone could import and sell marantz. There was no exclusive distribution network. I know of a few guys who imported the cdps and sold here and then there was always the massive grey market for denon/yamaha/marantz.
What about RIVIERA international? I thought they were going to take over marantz distribution.
Rgds

The MRP's they quoted for the Marantz PM 7003 and 8003 are as follows:
7003: Rs. 36800
8003: Rs. 49800

So depending on discount etc. from dealers, the price will be slightly less hopefully. In any case, Delhi prices are on the higher side.

Slightly less??? Prices in Bombay are way way less. I bought the PM 8003 for 38K (white) as opposed to 49.8K.... That's twelve grand.. enough to buy a Beresford to put in between

Slightly less??? Prices in Bombay are way way less. I bought the PM 8003 for 38K (white) as opposed to 49.8K.... That's twelve grand.. enough to buy a Beresford to put in between

Yes, slightly seems to be totally wrong here!

The best prices in Delhi: (warranty + papers)
7001 : 29k
7003: 33k
8003: Not available.

Yeah, I know it sucks!

dear bhaskieji,
waiting for your comments on comparisonsyou did. specially with hk amps.

regards

hi you will have to wait for a week, am kinda busy for a few days. I will write a detailed review for sure. FYI - I didn't like the way the HK sounded with Dali. So I didn't bother much with HK amps.

Hi Bhaskie,

Still waiting for a detailed review of your Dali speakers.

What is the sound signature?
Is it bright?
How is the mid bass?
Which kind of music does it excel in?

• Straight from the box comments
  • Strengths
  • Weaknesses

Kindest regards

mini review - Dali Lektor 2 and Marantz PM7003 combo

After around 100 hrs of burn-in, the lektor 2 's have really opened up, especially in the mid-bass department. I am using them with a Marantz PM7003 amp. The primary source is a Asus Xonar Essence STX pci-e card with RCA outs. Will be testing with my Oppo BDP-83 soon.

The mid-bass has improved a lot since when I got them a few months ago. The trick is to keep the speakers not more than a feet away from the rear wall. Also, toe-ing in around 15 degrees (Dali doesnt recommend toe-in with these speakers) seems to have improved the dynamics.

For movies you definitely need a sub, but I don't use one and am pretty happy. I play the 2-channel tracks (DTS stereo tracks sound amazing) in movies instead of the 5.1 tracks whenever they are available. Movie soundtracks sound really good. Movie dialogues are very clear and I never miss the center speaker (my room is 12x12).

I don't think the Lektors are bright, at least not with the Marantz amp. I am sure they will sound bright with amps like cyrus etc., so you got to really pair up with a warm amp like Marantz. I didn't like the Lektor+NAD combo though. With Marantz PM11S1 the sound was amazing, but the PM7003 is not too far behind.

THe Lektor-Marantz combo shines when it comes to music. I primarily listen to rock (60's and 70's), classical (western and indian), blues.
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD600 cans for classical since I don't like the way the lektors sound with classical music.
Blues and rock sound really good, with clear vocals and rich dynamics. If you are interested in metal/hip-hop you need to look elsewhere though.

~bhaskar

Marantz PM-15S1
Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 90 W / 140 W

Do you know how much these two will cost?

ive listened to the pm-15 and have to say it is a very sweet and warm sounding tube like integrated amp although a little bass shy. It is definitely suited for any forward sounding speakers.

i guess the pm-15 might be expensive in India, so if you wanna buy it then you might wanna check the grey market and get it sourced from Singapore. These amps are built like a tank so mostly you get any problems.

there is an eBay seller in japan who is selling these for a very reasonable price and he will ship to India. If have some one who deals with the Indian customs then there is no better choice.

Marantz Stereo integrated amplifier of PM-15S1 - eBay (item 300053052312 end time Aug-09-09 22:38:37 PDT)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back