Stereo amp for Zensor 7

forever.pramod

While browsing in Dali's site, just saw their recommendation or suggestion of Denon PMA-1510AE for pairing with Zensor 7. Was a just quick question in my mind - why Denon stereo amps are not that much popular (like Marantz, Arcam, YAMAHA etc) Can someone please suggest which will be a good pairing for Zensor 7 (Marantz 7005, Marantz 8005, Denon PMA1520AE or any other) My budget is 70K (~10K)

My source contents will be downloaded FLAC files and may use DAC of Popcorn Hour A-410 or in-built DAC (if available in Stereo Amp). Never going to use a CDP.

I know this question has been already placed multiple times, but not got a final answer.

P.S : I have noticed many forum members response very rudely while replying, so I request you please ignore my post rather than replying. Because I am here for suggestions and advice from friends not my guardians.

I guess you plan to have your stereo and HT setup together. In this case, why look for a separate stereo amp? I think your AVR is pretty capable of good stereo sound or does your experience indicate differently? What I would suggest is to continue with the existing setup or look at moving to a better AVR. Think of Anthem or NAD. Next level down from there, IMO, would be Marantz or Yamaha. Another route you may want to explore is to add a good DAC to the mix and play your files using a computer or PCH if it let's you bypass the internal DAC (I guess it lets you do that).

Getting a separate stereo amp would have the additional hassle of unplugging and re-plugging your speakers each time you want to switch over...

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I am planning to have stereo and HT setup together as don't want to buy more speakers. And my experience doesn't indicate difference with my AVR, I am fully satisfied with its sound quality.

But one day, in a AV store, I listened a stereo setup with a bollywood song, my mind blew away, which I didnt get from my AVR with same track, so planned for a stereo amp, else an DAC is fine for me if the AVR doesn't spoil its quality (I dont know if I am right or wrong). One of this forum member with same setup as mine uses Parasound ZDAC and he get better quality, can you please suggest any DAC with price if possible. I have never taken any oath to buy a stereo amp. was just waiting for suggestions from u people and decide.

But one day, in a AV store, I listened a stereo setup with a bollywood song, my mind blew away, which I didnt get from my AVR with same track,

Was the stereo setup with the same speakers (Zensor 7)? Which amp was used?

Can you explain in what way was the stereo setup was better than the AVR setup?

I just want to understand if you are looking for a different sound signature (bright vs warm) for songs.

Best would be to do comparison testing between stereo amp and avr in a store and decide for yourself.

Nice points Jags.

No, the source, amp and speakers all were different. I dont have that much experience for comparing SQ of 2 setups, but the song was "Patakha Gudi" from "Highway" movie. The details of music / instruments were that much detailed that, it made me smile till that track was being played. This type of detail I get from my setup with the song "Papa kehte hain" from movie "Qayamat se Qayamat Tak" (No doubt a lot of instruments used in this song), but not from that previous track with my AVR, So I just thought may be it's because of the difference of AVR and stereo amp. May be my assumption is wrong and I am going to waste my money, but I am going to make sure of it, that I should buy or stay with existing set up or may be add an extra component like DAC

A well-tuned stereo setup would, in most cases, sound better than the regular HT setup. Speakers, electronics, cables, the room...all have an impact. Do you recall the setup you heard?

ZDAC is a very good DAC. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. The current DAC space is burgeoning with great VFM options. If you trawl through the 'for sale' section here and bide your time, you will end up with a great deal...

While you are doing that, I would suggest you play around with your current setup. Speaker positioning, basic room treatment, cables, experimenting with/without the sub for stereo etc. You would stand to gain a lot more in terms of good sound this way than just dropping in another link in the chain.

My two cents
Since you mention bollywood flacs, I think a big difference can be because of the source

Assuming you get some of the flacs from the *internet*, where unfortunately there is no quality control and hence there is a wide difference in sound quality. This is based on personal observation. And I have a very similar setup to yours
(if all your flacs are ripped from audio cds, then please ignore me)

But nevertheless, ensure you play the same source file on both systems, preferably from a portable system like Popcorn Hour so that the source signal is exactly identical

Thanks all for your valuable comments. I think I shouldn't upgrade it for now. Unless untill i know it's worth of it. And will expeiment with my existing setup to get best of it

Thanks all for your valuable comments. I think I shouldn't upgrade it for now. Unless untill i know it's worth of it. And will expeiment with my existing setup to get best of it

Good decision... Only if you are not satisfied after experimentation, consider upgrading your system...

I enjoy stereo on my AVR and more than happy with it.... I have heard decent stereo setup too and i feel that am not missing anything much....

btw which mode do you use on your AVR for listening to stereo ?

Stereo Music with Digital Audio IN and sometime Pure Direct with Analog Audio IN from PCH. But in later case, feel lacking of treble n bass. But I know tht's the Pure Music. But I l do have More Musical Taste.:)

Wise decision "forever.pramod".After purchasing the DAC, just try to install foobar in your windows based laptop with ASIO driver support. Assign audio output through USB fed to DAC with ASIO support. You should notice the difference it make.

Stereo Music with Digital Audio IN and sometime Pure Direct with Analog Audio IN from PCH. But in later case, feel lacking of treble n bass. But I know tht's the Pure Music. But I l do have More Musical Taste.:)

I hope you are using pure direct mode when u meant stereo music with Digital Audio IN...

Now i am a little bit confused. Should i use Pure Direct mode with Digital IN? What's the benefit. By doing it, AVR DAC will work. I am using PURE DIRECT mode with Analog IN so that PCH DAC will work and AVR will work just as a power amp without any processing with audio like DAC & ADC job.

Now i am a little bit confused. Should i use Pure Direct mode with Digital IN? What's the benefit. By doing it, AVR DAC will work. I am using PURE DIRECT mode with Analog IN so that PCH DAC will work and AVR will work just as a power amp without any processing with audio like DAC & ADC job.

Your understanding is partly right...

You can use Pure Direct mode with Digital iN... In this case AVR DAC will be used...

When you use Pure Direct with Analog in, PCH DAC is used and your AVR is used as stereo amplifier...

AVR DAC should sound better than the PCH DAC... Try them & see if it improves your experience....

Wise decision "forever.pramod".After purchasing the DAC, just try to install foobar in your windows based laptop with ASIO driver support. Assign audio output through USB fed to DAC with ASIO support. You should notice the difference it make.
Just a quick question. If DAC accepts digital IN, then does it matter whether it accepts input from PC foobar or a cd player or media streamer?

Just a quick question. If DAC accepts digital IN, then does it matter whether it accepts input from PC foobar or a cd player or media streamer?

In ideal case there should be option for three digital inputs for DAC: USB, Optical, Co-axial. If your source have any one of these as output....... :yahoo:.

While browsing in Dali's site, just saw their recommendation or suggestion of Denon PMA-1510AE for pairing with Zensor 7. Was a just quick question in my mind - why Denon stereo amps are not that much popular (like Marantz, Arcam, YAMAHA etc) Can someone please suggest which will be a good pairing for Zensor 7 (Marantz 7005, Marantz 8005, Denon PMA1520AE or any other) My budget is 70K (~10K)

My source contents will be downloaded FLAC files and may use DAC of Popcorn Hour A-410 or in-built DAC (if available in Stereo Amp). Never going to use a CDP.

I know this question has been already placed multiple times, but not got a final answer.

P.S : I have noticed many forum members response very rudely while replying, so I request you please ignore my post rather than replying. Because I am here for suggestions and advice from friends not my guardians.

Denon made some good stereo amps in the past, but recently they have been focussing too much on AVRs.

You should go with a Cyrus, Exposure, Primare, Naim or Marantz. They all play well with DALIs. Get the best available in your budget from one of these houses and you will not go wrong.

Thanks Ranjeet for the explanation regarding Denon. My eyes are also on Marantz. Will consider it. For now planning to feel the difference of sound quality between AVR n Stereo Amp before any upgrade rather than thinking blindly that Stereo Amps are always better.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back