Stereo amp inputs?

Skasera

Hello,
Im still new here and getting used to the idea of getting the best config for my requirement.
I took my first step into hifi by purchasing the kef q300s
Now im kinda stalled here with the idea of amps.
My question is thus-
I wanted to connect the following components to my amp :
1) tv
2) tata sky (sattelite tv connection)
3) ps3 (for gaming and blue ray dvd)
4) imac/mac mini (for series etc)
5) iphone/ipod/ipad for music
6) maybe a cd player as well

Im just not sure if i can plug these to amps. I was looking for a stereo integrated amp. I liked how marantz 5004 sounded and also liked the denon pma720
I am going to audition yamaha as500 soon too.

I really dont have a budget to get anythin else apart from an amp as of now
Its either
Marantz 5004 amp + cd player (there is a nice deal goin)
Marantz 6004
Denon pma720
Or yamaha as500

A few told me to get an avr but im not too sure if im doin justice to my stereo setup by getting that.

Please help!

Hello,
Im still new here and getting used to the idea of getting the best config for my requirement.
I took my first step into hifi by purchasing the kef q300s
Now im kinda stalled here with the idea of amps.
My question is thus-
I wanted to connect the following components to my amp :
1) tv
2) tata sky (sattelite tv connection)
3) ps3 (for gaming and blue ray dvd)
4) imac/mac mini (for series etc)
5) iphone/ipod/ipad for music
6) maybe a cd player as well

Im just not sure if i can plug these to amps. I was looking for a stereo integrated amp. I liked how marantz 5004 sounded and also liked the denon pma720
I am going to audition yamaha as500 soon too.

I really dont have a budget to get anythin else apart from an amp as of now
Its either
Marantz 5004 amp + cd player (there is a nice deal goin)
Marantz 6004
Denon pma720
Or yamaha as500

A few told me to get an avr but im not too sure if im doin justice to my stereo setup by getting that.

Please help!

Your following components doesn't have an analogue output and has HDMI/digital outputs -

1) TV (presuming it is an newer LCD)
2) PS3
3) Mac Mini (apart from the headphone out which you really wouldn't like to use)

Having said that you will be better off with an AVR.
Check out the Marantz SR5007 or Yamaha RX-V675. These should be in your budget range.

You can connect the devices which have only digital outs to the TV directly and connect the TV analog out to the Amp.

Thank you for your inputs. I came to the following conclusion -
1) i will buy a stereo amp as avrs cant match the sound quality
2) i will connect my airport express to my amp via optical cable and optical to rca convertor (which brands are good?)
3) ps3 does have an rca audio out which i could connect to the amp (lemme know if im wrong)
4) tatasky also has an rca audio out

Is this possible?

Last edited:
Skasera it sounds like you really want the preamp section of a ht Receiver but the powramp section of a solid stereo amp.

You could start with an entry level ht receiver and add a stereo poweramp to it later as someone else suggested.

You could also get separates I.e. preamp and poweramp separately. This will give you more flexibility for future upgrades.

One more thing - emotiva and sherbourn recently merged and sherbourn is selling some of its ht receivers and preamps for extremely good prices. This is a limited time offer and I think there are some really good deals to be had.

You can checkout the sherbourn website for more details. They are selling the SR-8100 for $550 for example and from the specs, it is capable of 80 watts in 7 channels with all channels driven (which is actually rare as most entry level ht receivers mislead you by stating only power output with 2 channels driven) which indicates that it has a pretty solid poweramp section. That is the same as what you would get in a good quality stereo integrated amp from NAD, marantz, or denon. It also has a toroid transformer unlike many other ht receivers that skimp on this.

I would have gone for this as this is a really good price for what you are getting, but I am not planning to upgrade in the next 12 months.

Edit - I also noticed the sr-120 ht receiver that is selling for $450 and normally retails for $2000! It delivers 175 watts on 3 channels for a 4 ohm load (plus driving other channels at the same time with lesser power). If you can grab this deal, it would easily drive your speakers and will give you the same fidelity as the stereo amp options you were looking at.

This is actually really tempting!

Lest I sound like a salesperson, I think this is a really good deal only because they are probably doing a clearance sale and are consolidating the two product lines that are currently offering similar products.

Last edited:
I also noticed the sr-120 ht receiver that is selling for $450 and normally retails for $2000 too
34xd

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back