Stereo Amplifier for B&W Matrix 805

B&W did splendidly well with my Accuphase E-460, which is a class a/b amp.

I do not think that a speaker likes or dislikes any particular type of amp. The B&W is only particular about how well the electronics have been put together.

as far as to my observations, B&Ws demand a certain degree of stature from the amplifier it is tied to regardless of whether its Class-A, AB, B or whatever. B&Ws have swinging impedance curves & swing means 'wild swing' with deep capacitive to inductive loading. The return currents from the speaker mostly upset an amplifier unless the amp's power-supplies are bullet-proof & extremely load tolerant.

Accuphase belongs to a completely different segment from NAD. The only NAD amps I have found worthy were their old S-series amplifiers that were made & built in conjuction with Gryphon of Denmark. Those who have the S-series NAD seldom let go of them.

In Germany (one of Accuphase's biggest markets globally), there are lots of Accuphase / B&W partnerships going - mostly Accuphase in pre/pwr formats with both Class-A & AB amps included. All sound extremely good while its totally up to the rest of the chain towards how the overall sound shapes up.

B&W speakers mate well with Classe and Rotel amps (all are owned by same parent company). B&W speakers worked well with Rotel amps and MIT cables in one of setup I bought 10 years ago.

Neither is this speaker suitable. Plus the NAD is way too muddy & rolled-off

I auditioned a NAD at "The Promises"-Kolkata (the only NAD I heard) with a B&W 601 S3. Forgot the model most probably 326. I heard it for 2-3 mins and asked the shopkeeper to switch it off and connect the Quad 306 (15 years old, unserviced) and immediately we felt the difference. This Quad 306 knocked the demo NAD piece to win a Gold medal. Even the shopkeeper who was proudly portraying the NAD agreed that Quad was waaayyy too superior than NAD.

There were very less highs and was steeply rolled-off. Loosing the detailing, affecting mids and all the instruments as well.

Just joined HiFiVision a few minutes back. Folks, I need your help.

I got a pair of Bowers & Wilkins Matrix 805 bookshelf speakers from my relative that were basically lying on the floor and hadn't been used in a long time. This was paired to an Onkyo receiver which my relative also offered but he told me he felt that the receiver wasn't a good match for this speaker, so I did not take it.

Got the speakers home and connected it to my Onkyo 5.1 receiver and I felt that my ears had been opened compared to my Onkyo floor standing speakers + subwoofer. Anyway we hadn't watched a single movie in 5.1 format in years but do listen to music now and then, so I decided to sell the Onkyo 5.1 receiver and speakers which I promptly did.

As it turns out there was also a vintage 1977-1980 Marantz 170DC amplifier on sale at the same time on craigslist. So I thought I would use the sale proceeds and buy the 170DC for 20K. However the person who bought my system was a HiFiVision member and he cautioned me against buying old equipment from dealers who masquerade as hobbyists. Since he was also a DIYer, he warned that I would not be able to source a single part for that amplifier in India. I therefore canceled this plan.

So I now have the speakers but no stereo amplifier. I read up online and it seems the 805s (and B&Ws in general) prefer more current and 50-100W amps work best. Also Bi-Amping is preferred though not required. For the last couple of weeks, I have been eyeing the Marantz 7004 (for around 42K) which is more than twice my original budget but have been unable to take the plunge yet. I do have the option of getting the old Onkyo amplifier from my relative.

Would appreciate your suggestions on what to get. I am fully open to ideas. Thanks!

PS: End of the day, I want to feel satisfied that I am listening to the clearest reproduction I can. Also if I am spending 40K or more, I want to be reasonably certain that I will have no need to change the amplifier for a long time to come. Please do suggest.

Rega Brio-R will be the excellent option. It really sings !!

I auditioned a NAD at "The Promises"-Kolkata (the only NAD I heard) with a B&W 601 S3. Forgot the model most probably 326. I heard it for 2-3 mins and asked the shopkeeper to switch it off and connect the Quad 306 (15 years old, unserviced) and immediately we felt the difference. This Quad 306 knocked the demo NAD piece to win a Gold medal. Even the shopkeeper who was proudly portraying the NAD agreed that Quad was waaayyy too superior than NAD.

Indeed .. NAD is a good amp on its own but B&Ws demand better. There are several B&W/NAD pairings but its purely up to the listener & their requirements.

Serious ppl will move the NAD out & get better amps.

B&W speakers mate well with Classe and Rotel amps (all are owned by same parent company). B&W speakers worked well with Rotel amps and MIT cables in one of setup I bought 10 years ago.

Rotel has been with B&W for donkey's years. Its goes right back to the MPA-1 monoblock amps that B&W used to sell with their speakers in the mid/late '80s that were built by Rotel for B&W. B&W in spite of Rotel's shortcomings has to promote the brand or else the company would be up the docks .. eh ?

B&W's acquisition of Classe in the new millennium was a strategic one. B&W required a good amplification brand to showcase their Premium segment speakers. They also wanted to keep the speaker/electronics within one house to cough up the money whilst removing chances of error that most dealers create leaving unsatisfied customers. Classe fit the bill beautifully but Classe amps too have been 're-tuned' to work hand-in-glove with the recent B&Ws of today to give an excellent experience.

B&W unfortunately have not been very successful to fine-tune the Rotels to work wonders with their 6xx and CM line till date. Word is they're trying but there's some bottleneck. Generally, Rotel's brighter side with more aggressive sound textures may be undesirable to the buyers/listeners of B&Ws & this is the general complaint. For this reason, many look at other alternatives.

There are some who also own B&Ws and say to themselves - bull with all what they say - b'coz these fellas wanna run their B&Ws with their 10 odd watt Tube Integrated amp.

It works, why wouldn't it ? There are many successful owners of B&W 805 bookshelves with EAR 859 or 869. Some with Jadis. Some with VTL or the 20 watt Graaf. Very smooth & glorious sound albeit with some loss in dynamic behavior.

Its all up to the listener & his/her needs.

I ran my B&W N805's with 40 watt quicksilver mid mono push pull amps. Never felt the need to switch to solid state and the quicksilvers drove the 805 fabulously - good enough to avoid upgrading for 5 years.
Cheers,
Sid

40 watt of tube power is super. Its enough to keep N-805 happy. And Quicksilvers are a great, great amp. That must have been a very satisfying rig I can bet.

40 watt of tube power is super. Its enough to keep N-805 happy. And Quicksilvers are a great, great amp. That must have been a very satisfying rig I can bet.

@2chFreak - yes there was great synergy between the quickies and the 805. Subsequently with a lot of experimentation/auditioning my current Harbeth shl5 with sym. line finally bettered this combo. - but at a significant pricing jump.
Cheers,
Sid

@2chFreak - yes there was great synergy between the quickies and the 805. Subsequently with a lot of experimentation/auditioning my current Harbeth shl5 with sym. line finally bettered this combo. - but at a significant pricing jump.
Cheers,
Sid

Sir - it must have been the Lamm pre that came & hit it off .. :clapping:

Lamms are special .. music just flows out thru 'em like butter melting ..

========================

Sincere apologies to the OP for OT.

Last edited:
40 watt SET are rare & would cost a fortune coming from a brand of repute .. hence has to be push-pull ..

Yes 2chfreak is absolutely right, 40 - 50 watt sets exist but are quite expensive and yes they would generate a ton of heat as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Sir - it must have been the Lamm pre that came & hit it off .. :clapping:

Lamms are special .. music just flows out thru 'em like butter melting ..

========================

Sincere apologies to the OP for OT.

Apologies in advance to the OP for my Ot as well:
Absolutely 2chfreak - the lamm's pre synergy with my system is scintillating. Just wish I could afford their hybrid monoblocks, but am considering higher up models in Symphonic line as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Just wish I could afford their hybrid monoblocks, but am considering higher up models in Symphonic line as well.

Someone in my family just went the other way > > Sym-Line Kraft TO Lamm M 1.2 Ref
I saw the results & the musicality/soul captivity abilities of the M 1.2 Refs were steps above SL
using K-S IC makes a diff though .. & plays an imp part

Last edited:
Someone in my family just went the other way > > Sym-Line Kraft TO Lamm M 1.2 Ref
I saw the results & the musicality/soul captivity abilities of the M 1.2 Refs were steps above SL
using K-S IC makes a diff though .. & plays an imp part

Sorry again for the OT. I heard the M1.2 ref recently driving focals stella utopia & yg anat. Mindblowing! Unfortunately they are not sold in India, so no dealer support and at this pricing I consider that essential. OTOH SL has full dealer support in India. And the overall synergy of Lamm & SL seems to be in the right direction as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Back