Stereo Receiver vs Network Receiver

hari prasad 009

Hi All,

I'm new to audio systems.
Kindly advise to setup a good audio system. My budget is about 150k for all the set up [ receiver or amplifier , player and speakers ]
go for receiver is a better option or with amplifier ? what models are the best in my budget.
how about network stereo receivers ? I checked online Yamaha R N803 and Marantz cd6006 has good reviews. Is there any sound quality difference in network receiver?

Awaiting answers from Experts.

If you listen to a lot of radio, receiver makes sense. else a stereo amplifier would be better. How big is your room and what kind of music do you listen to? I see you are based in Dubai , so you budget mileage will vary compared to Indian prices.

You need to decide what is more important to you... If movies are your thing and you only listen to music not as often then get a decent midrange AV amp and youll be happy... if its 2ch listening you are after then the stereo amp is the way to go.

Greater words of wisdom will pour forth from other forumites.

Hi All,

I'm new to audio systems.
Kindly advise to setup a good audio system. My budget is about 150k for all the set up [ receiver or amplifier , player and speakers ]
go for receiver is a better option or with amplifier ? what models are the best in my budget.
how about network stereo receivers ? I checked online Yamaha R N803 and Marantz cd6006 has good reviews. Is there any sound quality difference in network receiver?

Awaiting answers from Experts.

Hi

Welcome to HFV!

The N803 is a Network Stereo Receiver and it is quite good. Stereo would be limited to two speakers....Left & Right.....

If you want to use more speakers and have a good movie experience (Blu Ray etc), you need to look at AVRs (Audio Video Receivers).

Since you are based in Dubai, there are ample dealers, please visit and demo stereo systems and AVRs there....you will understand which one will meet your requirements...then you can start making a list of the ones that impressed you and is in your budget and share with us...we will help to shorten that list so that you can arrive at a proper decision.

Audition / demo with the same kind of music / movie clip.

All the best!

Hi

Welcome to HFV!

The N803 is a Network Stereo Receiver and it is quite good. Stereo would be limited to two speakers....Left & Right.....

If you want to use more speakers and have a good movie experience (Blu Ray etc), you need to look at AVRs (Audio Video Receivers).

Since you are based in Dubai, there are ample dealers, please visit and demo stereo systems and AVRs there....you will understand which one will meet your requirements...then you can start making a list of the ones that impressed you and is in your budget and share with us...we will help to shorten that list so that you can arrive at a proper decision.

Audition / demo with the same kind of music / movie clip.

All the best!

Many Thanks Fernand, Tuff, Flat Listener and Sanjiv

My purpose is only listening to music [ ARR and Ilayaraja songs ] and looking for stereo not 5.1 home theater setup.
I thought Yamaha R N803 has all the latest network connection options to play.
What would be the best option to get good sound quality ? with receiver or amplifier ?

My room size is about 15 x 12 feet.

Thanks again.

A good quality stereo amp will do good justice!

Look at Marantz High end models, Denon PMA 1600 or Yamaha A-S1100.....or Cambridge Audio CXA 60 / 80.....pair it well with good speakers..

My purpose is only listening to music [ ARR and Ilayaraja songs ] and looking for stereo not 5.1 home theater setup.
What would be the best option to get good sound quality ? with receiver or amplifier ?

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I mentioned that a Stereo AMP will do good justice, The high end models of Network Stereo receivers from Yamaha should serve your purpose. All you need to do is pair with good speakers......

Thomsun Electronics in Dubai deals with Yamaha ....i guess you can visit and audition there besides the other dealers....

https://www.thomsun.com/audio---electronics.html

Hi,

I mentioned that a Stereo AMP will do good justice, The high end models of Network Stereo receivers from Yamaha should serve your purpose. All you need to do is pair with good speakers......

Thomsun Electronics in Dubai deals with Yamaha ....i guess you can visit and audition there besides the other dealers....

https://www.thomsun.com/audio---electronics.html

Thanks fernand,

As you advised i ll go fo stereo AMP...Can you suggest any? Do I need to add DAC ?
I checked online and has got good reviews for Marantz PM8005 and Yamaha A S801

Please advise which is the best amplifier Marantz PM8005 or Yamaha A S801
There is no such thing as "the best amplifier". You also need to decide what speakers you want to get. Some amplifiers work well with certain speakers, not all. For that , you need to go to showrooms and audition various speakers. Once you get a good idea about what speakers have their strength's and weaknesse, like some may have more bass, other's may have prominent mid's or some may have really high Bright's. Take your music to the auditions, songs that you know well. Also you need to figure out how you may play the songs. CD players if you have bunch of CD's, Streamers, PC/Laptop, Vinyl etc. You may also want to consider an amp with DAC built in or have a stand alone DAC if you go for an amplifier with aux input's only. So before you purchase anything, spend a day in HiFi shops and experience what they have to offer at different price points. Speakers too come in all shape's and size's. Bookshelf speakers are more popular with maybe an added subwoofer. Floor-stander's are preferred by some as the need to blend the subwoofer/s with main speakers can be challenging. Also if going for subwoofer/s, you may want to consider and amplifier with subwoofer out, or have speaker level inputs. Hope this helps;)

Thanks fernand,

As you advised i ll go fo stereo AMP...Can you suggest any? Do I need to add DAC ?
I checked online and has got good reviews for Marantz PM8005 and Yamaha A S801

If you are actively going to use the Network then go in for a Network Stereo amp which is the Yamaha....check with Thomsun Electronics stores....hear it and see if it meets your expectations. They also sell stand alone stereo amps without network capability.

As in for Marantz, i am not sure who are the dealers but there would be ample shops who sell them....this is what i could find....

http://www.audiovisualdubai.com/contact

There are Stereo amps which come with in built DACs ...these would be the top line models and would be expensive.....(depends on your budget).

Suggest you audition these amps and other amps as well to get a flair of what sounds optimal for you....carry your fav CD or mp3 music.....

as advised by @tuff there is nothing call best or worst....its all upto you...trust your ears and decide....avoid blind purchases.....all of us would read reviews and seek advise....but end of the day....its better to audition and decide if it makes sense to invest in that brand and model.

Dubai doesn't have decent online sites for audio stuff. We searched for headphones for one of my friend there. Everything was more expensive than Europe and India. Samma3a was the only site with a decent inventory even. Or are the sites in Arabic?

Dubai doesn't have decent online sites for audio stuff. We searched for headphones for one of my friend there. Everything was more expensive than Europe and India. Samma3a was the only site with a decent inventory even. Or are the sites in Arabic?

Yes, Dubai doesn't have decent online sites for audio stuff

There is no such thing as "the best amplifier". You also need to decide what speakers you want to get. Some amplifiers work well with certain speakers, not all. For that , you need to go to showrooms and audition various speakers. Once you get a good idea about what speakers have their strength's and weaknesse, like some may have more bass, other's may have prominent mid's or some may have really high Bright's. Take your music to the auditions, songs that you know well. Also you need to figure out how you may play the songs. CD players if you have bunch of CD's, Streamers, PC/Laptop, Vinyl etc. You may also want to consider an amp with DAC built in or have a stand alone DAC if you go for an amplifier with aux input's only. So before you purchase anything, spend a day in HiFi shops and experience what they have to offer at different price points. Speakers too come in all shape's and size's. Bookshelf speakers are more popular with maybe an added subwoofer. Floor-stander's are preferred by some as the need to blend the subwoofer/s with main speakers can be challenging. Also if going for subwoofer/s, you may want to consider and amplifier with subwoofer out, or have speaker level inputs. Hope this helps;)

Many Thanks Tuff

If you are actively going to use the Network then go in for a Network Stereo amp which is the Yamaha....check with Thomsun Electronics stores....hear it and see if it meets your expectations. They also sell stand alone stereo amps without network capability.

As in for Marantz, i am not sure who are the dealers but there would be ample shops who sell them....this is what i could find....

http://www.audiovisualdubai.com/contact

There are Stereo amps which come with in built DACs ...these would be the top line models and would be expensive.....(depends on your budget).

Suggest you audition these amps and other amps as well to get a flair of what sounds optimal for you....carry your fav CD or mp3 music.....

as advised by @tuff there is nothing call best or worst....its all upto you...trust your ears and decide....avoid blind purchases.....all of us would read reviews and seek advise....but end of the day....its better to audition and decide if it makes sense to invest in that brand and model.

Many Thanks Fernand

Most of the Denon, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio, B&W, KEF etc products are available in Sharad DG outlets across all malls in Dubai. Sharad DG in Time Square Mall have the widest collection of products.
In Dubai mall - Second floor both Sharad DG and Yamaha outlet are available.
Harman-JBL have outlet near to Financial center metro station.
Dubai Audio - Near to Business Bay metro station is one of the finest AV shop in Dubai and also have widest range of products .

Thanks all,

Do i need a preamp or DAC for Emotiva a300 or Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 ? If yes please advise which are the best.
Speakers will be ELAC uni fi ub5 or bedut F6. Looking for bluetooth connectivity. Kindly share your opinions.

@hari prasad 009 Yes. Both the models are Power amplifiers. One way to go for Bluetooth is buy an adapter and plug it in. Chromecast is also another option, but runs on WiFi. Have you decided which speaker's to get? The UB5 and debut F6 are different speakers, so are the two amplifiers mentioned above.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back