Stereo Setup - Budget 1L-1.5L

My view is that you will need to see amp and speaker together.

If you are going with Arcam then in my opinion Dali or Monitor Audio will pair up well.

Similarly for Naim you will have to see which speakers go well with this amp.

If forced to make a choice, I shall go with the amp with the higher power. This will make a wide choice of speakers available for pairing.

Thanks to all the voters, just as I was about to confirm the Naim, I got a msg from an Arcam dealer with a totally unresistable price for an Arcam & Dali combo and he has promised me an audition by the 21st, so I've put my purchase on hold for another 10 days. Eagerly waiting for that day and will get back to you'll on more queries.

You may also consider auditioning by adding a power amplifier and hear the difference in audio quality.at a later date you may upgrade your system this way.

You may also consider auditioning by adding a power amplifier and hear the difference in audio quality.at a later date you may upgrade your system this way.

Your signature shows ur using one, is it powering the Ikon6. Have you heard the new gen Ikon 6 mk2. Nobody's got one to audition, if I have to buy that, it's going to be a blind buy

5. NAIM Nait 5i + Qacoustics 2050i - before I could start playing, I was in the impression these speakers were going to disappoint me, but I was surprised by the way these speakers played, the amount of bass and space it could fill, I had to reconfirm with the dealer whether there was a sub connected to the setup, it was awesome. Sometimes it does get a little boomy, but I tend to like it.

Lot of good suggestions especially around getting the speaker right and then the amp in terms of order.

The above statement really caught my eye and while. you of course are the best judge of what you would want to hear , the first 30mins of listening especially while auditioning is the worst time to decide and most mistakes are made at that time. What you need is a system which you can listen to for long periods.

While high Bass/treble can give you a great feeling they actually will be the part you will hate most especially as you plan to have it for 10 years as you say. Do remember that music tastes also do change (become Wider) with age for most so you would want a system which does most music well and makes you feel the emotion the same way even after 1-2 hours of listening
Ideally have a friend or FM member with you while you do this audition so you get a 2nd opinion

Additionally the systems you hear in Showrooms are 95% of the time not broken in and also set up pretty badly

My suggestion is to take it a bit slower and get your speaker right especially since your better half in involved in the decision.(also no matter what you say you will be upgrading in 2-3 years with a 75% probability ;) )

I have no idea of Q acoustics, but for speakers it is a far better value to wait for a good used speaker..am sure if you mention your price range /brand as wanted you may get some good offers. Used speakers if bought from a well regarded forum member is usually very safe.

Once you get your speaker , the amp choice will be easier.

i have not heard the Ikon MK 2. Yes adding a power amp has made a significant difference to the output. You may hear the difference for yourself when you audition your speakers.

Would also go with arj's suggestion of going slow with the decision. Do not be hasty in decision making, else you will repent at leisure.

I've got an appointment this Sunday, with a dealer in Trichy to audition various Dali speakers ranging from the Zensor, Lektor, Fazon & Ikon MK2. Could I call for any forum members from Trichy to help me out figure out whats good?

The dealer has mentioned that he has an Anthem Integrated 225 which he could arrange for a demo. I've heard of Anthem AVR's, but never have found any discussions based on their Integrated's. If anyone has heard them, could you'll share your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards

Today, got to audition the Dali Zensor 7 & Ikon 6 MK2 paired with the Arcam A19. The Ikons were a class apart, you could feel the highs getting smoother on them in comparison with the Zensor 7. I went in with a lot of expectations on the Zensor 7 and it did not deliver what I was expecting.

Can I add another poll test in here, to decide on what speakers to go for from the shortlisted.

1. Dali Ikon 6 MK2
2. Wharfedale 159
3. Revel F12

Will be deciding the gear by this Saturday, would like all your suggestions. A lot of people favoring the Naim, I think if I opt for any of the above mentioned speakers, I'll run short of cash to buy the Naim, would a compromise on the amp to take the Arcam A19, be a shortfall in my setup.

Cheers!

Can I consider any of the below mentioned amps, if I get a good deal with the previous post speakers, as I'm not getting a chance to audition them, but they all seem to have more power than the amps I've auditioned

1. Anthem Int 225
2. Exposure 3010S2

Thank you.

I've lived with Exposure 3010S2 and Dali Ikon 6 combo for over a year. If you like fast, attacking (not to be confused with bright or harsh), lean but punchy, and extremely analytical sound - this combination will put a smile every time. The very sensitive Dali with the dual tweeter arrangement can sound shrilly if not partnered with the right amp. That's why people generally like it with NAD and Arcam which are on the warm side. For me, those combinations were not engaging enough. What Exposure brings in is immense power and control which beats the Ikon 6 into being at its best behaviour, utilising its strengths and taming its weaknesses. So if you like analytical detail, you will love it and will definitely experience that bad quality recordings are punished to death with this combination.

I would choose Exposure with warm sounding speakers . Exposure has got sparkle , speed and punchy dynamics and pairing that with similar speakers will cause fatigue soon . It was a mistake for me with Exposure 2010S2 with ProAc speakers .
However it pairs really nice with spendors

Last edited:
kanna,

i have heard the arcam fmj19 with dali ikon 6 mk2 in Mumbai and with the dali mentor menuet ( a diifferent category of speaker )

If you ask me - i like the amp. I find a very nice "british" signature to it.

weather you like the sound with the Dali - is totally upto you and please carry your music only with you.

more opinions you seek - more opinions you will get.. so if you like it, fits your budget and is good size for your room.... go for it.

There are a million better things there that we cant afford anyways..

njoi !!

mpw

go for wharfdale 159

Have you heard them! what was the amplifier used..

kanna,
more opinions you seek - more opinions you will get.. so if you like it, fits your budget and is good size for your room.... go for it.

There are a million better things there that we cant afford anyways..

njoi !!

mpw

Well said, the biggest part of all this auditioning has only led me into more confusion in some ways. I feel Ive got very limited options of integrateds to demo, I avoided the Japanese and the Cambridge Audio's, so very little options to choose from. If I was looking for an AVR, man it would've complicated my search even further with a lot of options to choose from, I guess.

I would choose Exposure with warm sounding speakers . Exposure has got sparkle , speed and punchy dynamics and pairing that with similar speakers will cause fatigue soon . It was a mistake for me with Exposure 2010S2 with ProAc speakers .
However it pairs really nice with spendors

Thanks for the info, u changed from the Exposure 2010 to a Naim is it. How do you feel the difference?

I've lived with Exposure 3010S2 and Dali Ikon 6 combo for over a year. If you like fast, attacking (not to be confused with bright or harsh), lean but punchy, and extremely analytical sound - this combination will put a smile every time. The very sensitive Dali with the dual tweeter arrangement can sound shrilly if not partnered with the right amp. That's why people generally like it with NAD and Arcam which are on the warm side. For me, those combinations were not engaging enough. What Exposure brings in is immense power and control which beats the Ikon 6 into being at its best behaviour, utilising its strengths and taming its weaknesses. So if you like analytical detail, you will love it and will definitely experience that bad quality recordings are punished to death with this combination.

They say that the Ikon 6 was superior to the Ikon 6 MK2, just from reviews and a dealer mentioned the same.

Thanks to all for sharing your valuable thoughts.

Sorry.. have found this thread only now.. I don't want to confuse this more but wanted to recheck if you tried pairing Arcam a19 with MA Rx6? From the posts above didn't know if you tried this combo.

I have similar setup and even tried driving Arcam a19 with irDAC. I do find this combo very smooth and I personally like it very well.
I know few other forum members do have this combo and is worth a shot (audition!)

Sorry.. have found this thread only now.. I don't want to confuse this more but wanted to recheck if you tried pairing Arcam a19 with MA Rx6? From the posts above didn't know if you tried this combo.

I have similar setup and even tried driving Arcam a19 with irDAC. I do find this combo very smooth and I personally like it very well.

I know few other forum members do have this combo and is worth a shot (audition!)

I haven't tried Arcam A19 & MA combo. But tried the MA RX6 with the MF3i, was very disappointed, the Silver 6 sounded better though. I wasn't really convinced with the MA's, the Mids & highs were excellent, but I'm looking for something which should play low as well.

My mind is almost set for the NAIM, and shortlisting speakers to any of these:- Revel F12 or Wharfy 159. Will buy the amp first and audition with speakers mentioned above.

I liked the Arcam A19, but I feel the NAIM has the extra oomph & will drive the speakers I intend to buy, better.

Saturday is the judgement day. Hoping, I select the right one....

Thanks

simply go for wharf 159 .It won't disappoint you.There is no end to auditioning and trials . If you are happy with any model of wharfdale then you will be happy with wharf 159. because wharfdale is super for ears,fatigueless and it beats all speakers .

simply go for wharf 159 .It won't disappoint you.There is no end to auditioning and trials . If you are happy with any model of wharfdale then you will be happy with wharf 159. because wharfdale is super for ears,fatigueless and it beats all speakers .
please share your experience with wharfdale 159 . I am also planning to buy it.
see you soon with nice & detail reviews .plz share pricing and photos or I am ready for group buy also. plz mail me your no
sachin

Thanks for your suggestion. I always have a soft corner for the Wharfy's as my earlier model was the diamond 9.2 and I was very happy with them for 4 years. But this time I wanted to search for more options, mostly to whats available to listen too, as specs cannot tell you how a speaker sounds, I've learnt this lesson the hard way in my recent purchase of speakers. So the final audition will take place, will be taking my better half along with me to be the judge and decide. Hoping for the best

Thanks & Cheers

Back