Stereo setup for soft music

anbk123

Hi all,

A newbie here....been reading these forums and collecting valuable info for sometime now.. Thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge...I will really appreciate it if you can suggest a setup suitable for following kinds of music
  • 60s-70s Hindi films
  • Hindustani classical but mostly instrumental
  • Western classical
  • Soft music giving more emphasis on vocals than instruments

What are your opinions on local brands for such a setup? Room size 15' x10'. Please also suggest additional components for a 2.1/3.1 (center) AV use.

Thanks in advance.
anbk123

Hi anbk123

whats your budget?

Hi all,

A newbie here....been reading these forums and collecting valuable info for sometime now.. Thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge...I will really appreciate it if you can suggest a setup suitable for following kinds of music
  • 60s-70s Hindi films
  • Hindustani classical but mostly instrumental
  • Western classical
  • Soft music giving more emphasis on vocals than instruments

What are your opinions on local brands for such a setup? Room size 15' x10'. Please also suggest additional components for a 2.1/3.1 (center) AV use.

Thanks in advance.
anbk123

Max 35-40 K for speakers...amp not yet fixed ..I guess local brands like Norge would do the job my my preferred music. What do you think?

Hi
Since there is no budget stated im giving u a few low cost options.
CDP -Marantz cd 6002
AMP- NAD C 325
SPEAKERS -PSB IMAGE 15

The entire set should be around 60K new. Add cost of cables/stands/rack if needed.
This combo is musical and a pretty reasonable start to HIFI.
Rgds

Hi again,
Sorry i missed ur post mentioning the budget for speakers. Generally a monitor audio silver is a great VFM speaker plus its a good allrounder. Problem is it will sound bright with hindi film music and hence a PSB was suggested.
Have not heard much of hindi film music but it can sound bright on most set ups so i suggest u take some of your music and audition the components. Suggestions may lead u up the wrong path. I feel a NAD amplifier is the way for u and your musical preferences(60/70% hindi) A revealing, detailed amp might be over the top.
Rgds

Thank you Dinyaar...that's what my problem is! I don't know which brands to shortlist for auditioning with my music preferences.

Thank you Dinyaar...that's what my problem is! I don't know which brands to shortlist for auditioning with my music preferences.

if your total budget ( speaker and amp is 35-40k) then look for a thread titled
"Budget speaker auditioned - A noobs take"
you can start there

if your budget for only speakers is 40k
then you have entered "above budget category"
now you can choose betwwen floorstanders or very good bookshelves
for floorstanders look at the jamo c 405 and 407 for about 30-40k
als the mordant short avant 906i or the warfedale 9.6 (30k and above)
for bookshelves you have the b&w AND QUADS . Dali Ikon etc etc

Thanks so much Magma...really appreciate the efforts you've taken to put forth your reviews of various combinations. I'm not in a hurry...so will audition options you and Dinyaar have mentioned and then whatever I get hooked onto, I'll post the aftermath.

Best regards,
anbk123

Hi all,
Good afternoon to you all. Monitor Audio Silver RS1 is not at all bright if a properly matching amplifier is used. I have RS1 & I am using it with Marantz SR4600 AV receiver. It is an extremely detail & sweet sounding combo. Specially vocal reproduction is very very good. Please try to listen Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (Kawali), Kailash Kher (sufi), Rahat Fateh Ali Khan (sufi), Manna Dey (filmy classical), Shankar Mahadevan (filmy), S. P. Balasubramanium (filmy), Lata Mangeshkar (filmy) with RS1 & SR4600 you will be surprised. If possible replace SR4600 with some Marantz integrated amplifier like PM7200/PM7001/PM7003 the result will be even better in music. I had an opportunity to combine PM7200 with RS1. It was a very good match. The combo is not good for rock, heavy metal etc. but for soft Hindustani music (whether classical or filmy) the combo was excellent.

Regards,
Partho.

Two options in the below 40K speakers I would certainly add are:

EPOS M12.2 (or M12i - it might just about breach that 40K price barrier though)

Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 - Probably the best budget floorstander I have heard till now.

Hello all,
As rightly said by thevortex Epos 12.2 & AE Neo 3 are really really good speakers. I've listened to Epos 12.2 along with NAD 325. It was a very very sweet sounding combo. I have listened to AE Neo 3 using Arcam AVR 280. It was also a very very good combo. No experience about the new Epos 12i yet.

Regards,
Partho.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back