Stereo Setup or 5.1

I would suggest the Mission m35i(or even m34i,m33i), Q acoustics 1030i( or the newer 2050i) as alternatives for the Polk FS. Please do check these out before taking the final call.

Haven't checked out these. The only Mission I saw was a HT setup for around 42K. Not seen Q Acoustics either. What kind of price ranges are we talking about for the Mission and Q Acoustics?
Joshua

Haven't checked out these. The only Mission I saw was a HT setup for around 42K. Not seen Q Acoustics either. What kind of price ranges are we talking about for the Mission and Q Acoustics?
Joshua

Joshua,
Mission m33i - 13k
m34i -18k
m35i - 27k(approx)
Qa 1030i -27k

Please check speaker prices thread for updates, also magmas speaker thread.

Joshua,
Mission m33i - 13k
m34i -18k
m35i - 27k(approx)
Qa 1030i -27k

Please check speaker prices thread for updates, also magmas speaker thread.

Thanks for the advice, now I need to see which dealer in which part of town has Missions and Qa:lol: Looks-wise, m35i does look very nice.

What do you think of my choice of HK 3490 amp? There is a cheaper 3390 too (80W @ 8 Ohms) which differ slightly from 3490 (no Dolby Virtual Speaker, no Dolby Headphone, no digital inputs). How big a deal is digital (one optical and one coax) input?
Joshua

Thanks for the advice, now I need to see which dealer in which part of town has Missions and Qa:lol: Looks-wise, m35i does look very nice.

What do you think of my choice of HK 3490 amp? There is a cheaper 3390 too (80W @ 8 Ohms) which differ slightly from 3490 (no Dolby Virtual Speaker, no Dolby Headphone, no digital inputs). How big a deal is digital (one optical and one coax) input?
Joshua

Joshua,

If I were choosing between the two, I would go for the 3490. With the digital input you can connect your dvd player or pc/laptop digital output to the 3490, and the rely on the 3490s onboard DAC for processing. If the 3490s DAC section is good, it would give you the best output, in case you dont have a dedicated cdp or similar high quality analog source.
Are you really tilted towards the Stereo Receiver rather than Stereo Int amp?

Joshua,

If I were choosing between the two, I would go for the 3490. With the digital input you can connect your dvd player or pc/laptop digital output to the 3490, and the rely on the 3490s onboard DAC for processing. If the 3490s DAC section is good, it would give you the best output, in case you dont have a dedicated cdp or similar high quality analog source.
A

OK, that brings me to a doubt: when one connects the digital out from a DVD or CD player to the amp, does it mean:

a) that the digital signal from the DVD/CD player entirely bypasses the DVD/CD player's in-built D/A?

b) If yes, then the actual D/A happens with the amp's inbuilt D/A?

c) Further, if yes, can I get away with buying an el cheapo DVD player and still get audio quality of at least an entry-level dedicated Denon/CA/etc CD player costing 16-17K INR? My assumption here being that the laser reads the CD's signal and pass it on to the digital out "as is" which is not the case when the player processes it in the D/A section.

This site AudiogoN Forums: Review: Harman Kardon HK-3490 Amplifier says: the KH 3490 uses "AKM's AK-4384 DAC which offers a 24 bit 192Khz setup design. It has a Cirrus Logic CS 48560 DSP. Why? because the HK-3490 features Dolby Labs, Virtual Dolby processing." I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing:eek:

Another doubt: how significantly different is bi-wiring speakers compared to single wiring?

Joshua,
Are you really tilted towards the Stereo Receiver rather than Stereo Int amp?

iaudio, I am not able to understand this Q. My limited understanding is the HK 3490 is an integrated amp in the sense that it has pre-amp as well as power amplification stages in the same unit. What do you mean by "Stereo Receiver"?
Joshua

Update <24 Feb 2010>

Since I decided to raise my budget a bit, I realised that many more competent models were now available from the initial restricted range. With this, went out once again with a vengeance to various shops. Here's what I auditioned in the last 2 days:

Shop 1:
1. KEF C5 FS (27K)
2. Polk Audio RTi A5 (37K)
3. Polk Audio RTi A7 (47K - way beyond budget, but listened anyway as same shop had it).
4. Canton LE 170 FS (29K)

Above 4 FSes driven by a Marantz PM5003 stereo amp, source was a Panasonic Bluray player (don't know model number).

Shop 2:
1. Mission m35i FS (28K)
2. Wharfedale 9.5 FS (30K)
3. Wharfedale 10.5 FS (36K)
4. Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 FS (41.5K)
Above 4 driven by a Marantz PM7001 amp (demo piece, 6 months old, willing to sell for 30K) and source was a Cambridge Audio CA 540C (21.7K).

Shop 3:
At this shop, went and reviewed my initial choice of Polk Audio TSi300, now driven by a Denon PMA510 (earlier was CA azur 340A) and Denon DCD500 CDp (earlier was CA azur 340C) and realised that the Polk 300 is very bright (had tried Denon PMA2000 too on this speaker). I guess this brought out the benefit of lots of auditioning, though at times I used to get quite confused and frustrated as every subsequent listening improved my understanding and appreciation (and by corollary, the cost:lol:). It really helped that I dragged along a really cheerful and willing friend who is an audio engineer by profession. It further helped that we have broadly similar taste in music, and that he has a much more critical ear than my untrained ears. So this exercise rules out Polk Audio TSi 300 or 400. The shop guy also strongly advised me against the Harman/Kardon 3490 and advised me to go for a dedicated analog stereo amp instead of something like the 3490. It raised an alarm in me as he is a dealer for HK. He recommended a Denon amp+player+ Polk FS setup.

Final preferences:

Top choices for FS are Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 and Canton LE 170. I think the Canton will win as the competition is 43% costlier.

For amp, need to decide on Marantz PM 5003 and PM 4001, both costing roughly same. Have listened extensively to 5003 but could not listen to 4001 yet. Will choose based on what sounds better to my ears.

For CDp, will postpone the buy for some time. For now I will have to depend on my el cheapo Akai DVD. I know this is the weak link but for financial reason this will be my player for at least some time. How will the new-fangled Bluray players fare as CD players compared to a dedicated CDp? I do have a 1080p TV so would love to occasionally buy good high-def movies.

Also, my earlier query: does the digital out from the CDp bypass the CDp's DAC? Want to wind up this whole thing today or tmrw.

Joshua

yes digital out will bypass the dac of cdp. Or else one would need an adc as well to give digital out.
I would suggest that you give a listen to HK3490 also.
Receiver has more features than a stereo amp - an FM tuner, and DAC also thrown in, in this case.
Oppo br player bdp 83 is decently hifi sq wise as per reviews. oppo bdp 80 should also be good.

Update <24 Feb 2010>

Since I decided to raise my budget a bit, I realised that many more competent models were now available from the initial restricted range. With this, went out once again with a vengeance to various shops. Here's what I auditioned in the last 2 days:

Shop 1:
1. KEF C5 FS (27K)
2. Polk Audio RTi A5 (37K)
3. Polk Audio RTi A7 (47K - way beyond budget, but listened anyway as same shop had it).
4. Canton LE 170 FS (29K)

Above 4 FSes driven by a Marantz PM5003 stereo amp, source was a Panasonic Bluray player (don't know model number).

Shop 2:
1. Mission m35i FS (28K)
2. Wharfedale 9.5 FS (30K)
3. Wharfedale 10.5 FS (36K)
4. Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 FS (41.5K)
Above 4 driven by a Marantz PM7001 amp (demo piece, 6 months old, willing to sell for 30K) and source was a Cambridge Audio CA 540C (21.7K).

Shop 3:
At this shop, went and reviewed my initial choice of Polk Audio TSi300, now driven by a Denon PMA510 (earlier was CA azur 340A) and Denon DCD500 CDp (earlier was CA azur 340C) and realised that the Polk 300 is very bright (had tried Denon PMA2000 too on this speaker). I guess this brought out the benefit of lots of auditioning, though at times I used to get quite confused and frustrated as every subsequent listening improved my understanding and appreciation (and by corollary, the cost:lol:). It really helped that I dragged along a really cheerful and willing friend who is an audio engineer by profession. It further helped that we have broadly similar taste in music, and that he has a much more critical ear than my untrained ears. So this exercise rules out Polk Audio TSi 300 or 400. The shop guy also strongly advised me against the Harman/Kardon 3490 and advised me to go for a dedicated analog stereo amp instead of something like the 3490. It raised an alarm in me as he is a dealer for HK. He recommended a Denon amp+player+ Polk FS setup.

Final preferences:

Top choices for FS are Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 and Canton LE 170. I think the Canton will win as the competition is 43% costlier.

For amp, need to decide on Marantz PM 5003 and PM 4001, both costing roughly same. Have listened extensively to 5003 but could not listen to 4001 yet. Will choose based on what sounds better to my ears.

For CDp, will postpone the buy for some time. For now I will have to depend on my el cheapo Akai DVD. I know this is the weak link but for financial reason this will be my player for at least some time. How will the new-fangled Bluray players fare as CD players compared to a dedicated CDp? I do have a 1080p TV so would love to occasionally buy good high-def movies.

Also, my earlier query: does the digital out from the CDp bypass the CDp's DAC? Want to wind up this whole thing today or tmrw.

Joshua

Update <24 Feb 2010>

Joshua

Canton's are good speakers. I own the GLE series. They have good mid range and great clarity.

Last edited:
I had put down the money for:

1. Amp: Marantz PM5003 (16.5K)
2. Speakers: Canton LE 170 (27K)

Dealer sweetened the deal with 6 meters of free 12 AWG cable (DAC make). That's worth about Rs 1080.
Will buy a CDp in a couple of weeks time. Suggestions welcome.

The PM5003 won over PM4001 as it has better defined lows. I read mixed reviews of the PM5003 so I was initially hesitant but a good listening convinced me of its true worth. And the "measly" 40W is more than sufficient to blow up any decent sized room.

The Canton is no longer in production but stocks are still available with dealers. I wholeheartedly recommend this model (or the bigger LE 190, which is also still available) for anyone looking for a sub-30K INR floorstanders. It was due to a piece of good luck and serendipity that I came across this able speakers. I had visited the shop to re-check on my earlier choice of Polk Audio TSi300, and they were in the middle of unpacking the Canton which had just come in. Plugged in the Canton and got blown away right there. The nearest match, as per me, is the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 which is a good Rs 14500 costlier. Add a couple of grands more and it's enough moolah to buy a decent CDp. As per some reviews, the LE 170 was about US$1000 at launch (back in 2005), now going for around $350 from internet sellers. So not buying the bleeding edge saved me lots of money.

Delivery: Fri night or Sat noon. Can't wait..

Dealer: Viola, DN Nagar, Andheri West, Mumbai. Strongly recommended for anyone looking to buy Marantz, Polk Audio, Jamo, KEF, Denon, Yamaha or Pioneer gears. They quote only once and you'll find that that price is always better than the best price given by other dealers after two rounds of price nego. Very patient and professional people.
Joshua

Got delivery of the amp and speakers last Sat. One thing that instantly became clear is that I should have just bought the CDp. I knew beforehand that the cheap Akai DVD player I have will not be great but I did not anticipate how bad. It all sounds muddy with this source. So the need of the hour is to buy a good CD player. Candidates are Marantz CD6003 (16-17K), CA azur 340C (16K), Denon DCD-500AE (16K), NAD C545BEE (dont know price). Any thing I missed out in this price range? Please suggest.
Joshua

I would go for the Marantz Cd6003 over the CA 340c, Denon Dcd 500.

Thanks for the suggestion. The shop I bought from did not have the CD6003. Will need to push them to arrange fast. I have heard both the azur 340C and Denon 510AE, and I couldn't make out much difference between the two.
Joshua

The Marantz CD6003 it is! Had to wait 3-4 days but it's totally worth it. Compared to the cheap Akai DVD player that I was using as source, it now sounds like someone kindly removed the wool stuffed in my ears:) Also, the USB port supports my iPhone so I have an additional source, but surprisingly some songs stored as wave in the iPhone didn't have the bass punch and definition compared to the CD counterpart. Mids and highs were better. Probably something to do with the iPhone's own DAC being not up to the task? But the good part is that one can use the CDp's remote to change tracks in the iPhone. Cool integration.
Need to burn my wave and flac collection to ACDs.
Joshua

Congrats Joshua
I am happy you like the cd6003. Enjoy!
Great set up you have now.
But if it is connected through usb how would iphone dac come into play? How does alac sound?

Congrats Joshua
I am happy you like the cd6003. Enjoy!
Great set up you have now.
But if it is connected through usb how would iphone dac come into play? How does alac sound?

Thanks, iaudio.
Connection is thru the USB port, so output should be digital and the CD's DAC (Cirrus Logic's CS4398, as per the spec sheet) should do the job. And since the song is a wav file, I really wonder why the bass sounded all splattered.

BTW, it's the Canton LE 170 spkrs and not ALAC.
Joshua

usb port of the i phone does not provide a digital connection exactly
Only the Wadia Dock is configured to get the digitalout ( some license issues )
hence using a regular usb out cable of the ihone doesnt give you digital out, the i pod DAC is STILL active in that case

Thanks, iaudio.
Connection is thru the USB port, so output should be digital and the CD's DAC (Cirrus Logic's CS4398, as per the spec sheet) should do the job. And since the song is a wav file, I really wonder why the bass sounded all splattered.

BTW, it's the Canton LE 170 spkrs and not ALAC.
Joshua

Joshua,
I know you have Canton speakers,I was talking about apple lossless format of ipod, alac.
Titus
usb port of the i phone does not provide a digital connection exactly
Only the Wadia Dock is configured to get the digitalout ( some license issues )
hence using a regular usb out cable of the ihone doesnt give you digital out, the i pod DAC is STILL active in that case
Thanks for the clarification Magma.:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back