Stereo Setup Suggestions

Verma

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a stereo setup.

Budget: 50-70k
Room Size: 12x24 feet, it's living cum dining room combined.
Music: Bollywood old and new, Sufi

Based on recommendation on another forum I've shortlisted following

Speakers:
1. Dali Zensor 3
2. Kef Q300

Amp:
1. Marantz PM5005
2. CA Topaz SR10
3. Norge 2060/1000 (but I was told that these are good for wharfedale type but for Kef and Dali type better amp like CA and Marantz is better. Please suggest if Norge is good for Dali/KEF?)

Now the real problem I'm facing is I don't have a source as well. So I am looking for an amp with USB type A port where I can attach a pen drive or storage device. Above amp doesn't have this.
The one I found is CA Minx Xi priced at around 38K. But this I think uses a Class D amp against the class A/B of above amps.
Another option is to but an AVR like Marantz NR1504 or Yamaha RX-V479 but I heard they are not good for Music.

Incase Norge/Marantz/CA is bought as the amp, what kind of source can be added for my need. I'd like to play 320kbps mp3 and flac and other loss-less formats. Is a tradition CD player with USB port is good enough? or they have pathetic DACs?

Please suggest what should I buy from these options or are there better options in this price range?

I would suggest Zensor-1 than zensor-3 for your choice of music.
and saved money could go to amp with DAC capabilities.
there are very less options in the budget mentioned above , but whatever is available they seem good.
NAD D3020, QUAD VENA, Marantz 6005...
But I would suggest NAD D3020 with zensor-1...rest depends on your audition and ultimately your ears..:)
Cheers

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a stereo setup.

Budget: 50-70k
Room Size: 12x24 feet, it's living cum dining room combined.

Based on recommendation on another forum I've shortlisted following

Speakers:
1. Dali Zensor 3
2. Kef Q300

Amp:
1. Marantz PM5005
2. CA Topaz SR10
3. Norge 2060/1000 (but I was told that these are good for wharfedale type but for Kef and Dali type better amp like CA and Marantz is better. Please suggest if Norge is good for Dali/KEF?)

Now the real problem I'm facing is I don't have a source as well. So I am looking for an amp with USB type A port where I can attach a pen drive or storage device. Above amp doesn't have this.
The one I found is CA Minx Xi priced at around 38K. But this I think uses a Class D amp against the class A/B of above amps.
Another option is to but an AVR like Marantz NR1504 or Yamaha RX-V479 but I heard they are not good for Music.

Incase Norge/Marantz/CA is bought as the amp, what kind of source can be added for my need. I'd like to play 320kbps mp3 and flac and other loss-less formats. Is a tradition CD player with USB port is good enough? or they have pathetic DACs?

Please suggest what should I buy from these options or are there better options in this price range?

^^Thanks, but I think even the amps you mentioned doesn't have usb port where storage media can be attached. They have usb type B which can be connected to laptop.

Hello Vermaji,

If you are happy to use your PC as a transport to begin with it solves a lot of problems. 1). You can store and organize your music the way you want. 2). Any free media player like JRiver / Foobar / Media Monkey / Winamp etc., will give you a nice user interface. 3). If your PC has a HDMI out, connect it to your TV for videos / movies and still use the sound from your amp+speakers. 4). Some of these media players have an android / ios app from which you can control your playback. 5). No need to buy an expensive external DAC. 6). For a few K you can get a good sound options from Asus / Creative / FiiO and many others to connect to your PC. 7). For around 10K you can get a wireless Wolfson DAC.

For your budget please look into the evergreen Yamaha AS 500 amp (around 32K) and Monitor Audio Bronze BX 2 book shelf speakers. They are a beautiful combination.

Likewise for around 30 to 35K there is a huge array of book shelves to choose from.

Listen to as many systems / combos you can and let your ears decide the best sound.

Now the real problem I'm facing is I don't have a source as well. So I am looking for an amp with USB type A port where I can attach a pen drive or storage device.

I think the better option considering your budget would be marantz m-cr610.

It is a media /CD player with an amplifier.
Plays media from a pen drive. If you don't plan to play cd then you may consider the cr-510.

It also has wifi (and Bluetooth i guess) with its own app to control I believe.

Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would infact actually recommend at norge/NAD denon cambridge over the marantz for a DALI or KEF

if not going the AVR route
look at getting a media player ( if you havea screen nearby )
get a norge/NAD /cambridge as per budget
get a speaker that suits your taste - i would infact look at getting a full rannge speaker with a small tube amp for your kind of muisc ( though thats a differnt path and may not be reccomended for beginners to get their feet wet )

full rangers are mostly in DIY forms
or semi DIY by a brand
rethum etc is out of budget

look at co ax's dual concentrics like the tannoys ( i like them better than the KEF uniQ technology )
they play pretty well

but then those will go out of budget

looking at your budget
your own options of DAli with and AVR would suit
otherwise
media player - stereo amp - DALI

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back