Stereo Setup

Very interesting thread, @Amateur_Audiophile
Wishing you well on this journey.

And @Bloom@83, that was delivered with some certitude! :D
"Doesn’t matter what amps or speakers you end up buying ,you won’t get that wow effect unless you invest in a good turntable and LPs for old hindi movie music."

Where do you all source good LPs for Indian music?
Filmy/Hindustani classical/Carnatic.

@kanna.sridharan is more like my man.

What would be the trade offs, one way or the other in today's world?

Last edited:
And @Bloom@83, that was delivered with some certitude! :D
"Doesn’t matter what amps or speakers you end up buying ,you won’t get that wow effect unless you invest in a good turntable and LPs for old hindi movie music."

Where do you all source good LPs for Indian music?
Filmy/Hindustani classical/Carnatic.
Mostly offline, @k-pad. There are number of old time sellers in Kolkata and other metro cities, and most of them nowadays are on WhatsApp. If you are really interested, DM me.

Mostly offline, @k-pad. There are number of old time sellers in Kolkata and other metro cities, and most of them nowadays are on WhatsApp. If you are really interested, DM me.
Will do, chief. Thank you so much.
But really beats me that this day and age, there could be any difference in quality.
Guess it is an acquired taste.

Will do, chief. Thank you so much.
But really beats me that this day and age, there could be any difference in quality.
Guess it is an acquired taste.
Quality of sound for vintage RD Kishore Lata Asha Led Zep Beatles Deep Purple King Crimson Floyd Stones et cetra you mean ?
If so , a decent vinyl setup beats a 10x pricier digital rig hollow.
Why do you think folks who are into analog shell out upwards of 3K for a single LP with 6 songs when it would cover annual subscription of a streaming service with some trillion songs ? :)

Quality of sound for vintage RD Kishore Lata Asha Led Zep Beatles Deep Purple King Crimson Floyd Stones et cetra you mean ?
If so , a decent vinyl setup beats a 10x pricier digital rig hollow.
Why do you think folks who are into analog shell out upwards of 3K for a single LP with 6 songs when it would cover annual subscription of a streaming service with some trillion songs ? :)
Accepted. Total submission.
:)
Like I said, active works best in my use case.

Didn't realise that even today, LP could deliver better quality than streaming.
Will give it a try. I have a non-hobyyist friend who has a rig.

What would be the cost difference compared to a KEF LS50 Wireless?

Accepted. Total submission.
:)
Like I said, active works best in my use case.

Didn't realise that even today, LP could deliver better quality than streaming.
Will give it a try. I have a non-hobyyist friend who has a rig.

What would be the cost difference compared to a KEF LS50 Wireless?
Of course whatever works best for each in this hobby. I’m not stating some gospel truths here ( there are none ). :)
I’ve been listening to CDs on dedicated CD players (NAD / Denon / Marantz ) and streaming for the better part of a decade (and still do occasionally) , but the immediacy , impact and sonic bloom that vinyl playback has brought me is a revelation.But apart from the cost , it takes time and patience to properly match and setup a vinyl rig , and most importantly- it’s not easy to get hold of the best sounding pressings in good physical condition. It’s a rabbit hole all the way down. The only thing I can advise you NOT to do is invest in a entry level all-in-one automatic turntable , which will ruin the experience & create a negative bias.

Of course whatever works best for each in this is hobby. I’m not stating some gospel truths here ( there are none ). :)
I’ve been listening to CDs on dedicated CD players (NAD / Denon / Marantz ) and streaming for the better part of a decade (and still do occasionally) , but the immediacy , impact and sonic bloom that vinyl playback has brought me is a revelation.But apart from the cost , it takes time and patience to properly match and setup a vinyl rig , and most importantly- it’s not easy to get hold of the best sounding pressings in good physical condition. It’s a rabbit hole all the way down. The only thing I can advise you NOT to do is invest in a entry level all-in-one automatic turntable , which will ruin the experience & create a negative bias.
Thank you, bhai.
That is exactly what I was thinking of (and worried about)!

And my other concern was where to source.

Been reading up about vinyl, and saw that how it was made plays a big part....

having all those quality question and perfection desires, one really cant skip the convenience offered by streaming services which does help at times.

having all those quality question and perfection desires, one really cant skip the convenience offered by streaming services which does help at times.
Oh yes , vinyls are least convenient, one needs to wash and clean them , they are imperfect too. But all of that doesn’t matter really to us who have tasted analog sound and now find digital music doesn’t cut the ice (done lot of A-B comparisons in the initial days ), especially for pre 1990s music (which is all I listen to ).

Before buying please consider most of your budget on good speaker. Drivers plays most important role on music.
Preferably you can choose efficient fullrange driver (sensiitivity more than 95db) with a Class A amp and A tube preamp. DAC is essential if you do not want recurring expenses on vinyle setup.

I mostly use above setup and all DIY.
Driver I am using is dayton ps220 with mine developed class A amp and valve preamp. For DAC I have RPI + boss.

For vinyle setup I suggest good class AB amp with good phono pre with subsonic and scratch filter. The psu for phono pre must have lowest noise sprectrum possible. SNR must below 100db.

A good class A preamp also recommended for occasional change of taste.
Happy listening

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back