Stereo shutting off at high volumes

woolysworld

I like listening to my rock and roll at insane volumes in my house. My stereo shuts down after a point when it gets to crazy levels. So what I have is a Yamaha RX-V465 AV Receiver 525 watt (105w x5)
I HAD a practically new pair of Polk Monitor 70 series 2 Tower speakers which were rated at 275w, I sold them last week. I have a Bose center speaker which Im not sure of the watts. I think its 200w but when I was having problems I disconnected the Bose.
So now I bought a pair of Klisph Reference Dual 8 Floor standing speakers 600w peak 150 w continuous and also a pair of Klisph Reference 5 Bookshelf speakers 340w peak 85w continuous for the rear/back of my living room. I bought 12 gauge copper wire and I also bought a 5 electric fan for the receiver which is in a stereo cabinet. (I cut the back out of the cabinet where the receiver is for air to escape. So now Im thinking of adding a sub.(Heard that may also help with my issue, not sure though) Does adding a sub help with the high volumes?

If you are serious about 'insane volume' levels you better get your ears checked often. Continuous high volume can damage your ear irreversibly . It happens 'quietly' till one fine day you find your hearing is shot ! Ask some rock stars !

Your stereo ( thankfully !) is shutting down as it probably gets too hot being played (possibly) at clipping levels for too long. They aren't designed to work at such levels.You can kill that too if it goes on every time !
If you still insist on insane volume levels, buy some Crown or other brand classD power amps that can give you over 2 Kilo watts of un-clipped sound. Subs will give more LF end and add weight to the sound. But if you need stomach pounding bass you'll have to go for some pretty expensive active sub .

Suggest you check out the systems your friends are using and determine what would really be acceptable to you.

As always, protect your ears, you need them to work well for a life time ! They may have come for 'free' but are 'priceless' and not replaceable ! ;)

Last edited:
@woolysworld

Insane volume levels will make you deaf. What is the point of a good sound system if you cannot hear it eventually. Keep listening levels below 85dB SPL. You can download a free app on mobile that tells you the SPL in your listening room (give or take a few dB).

Reconsider your listening methods. Protect your ears.

Cheers,
Raghu

The amp draws more current and the spkr impedance may be falling very low at pne particular freq forcing it to shut down. Try replacement of spkrs with better quality or may be higher impedance. Check out the spkrs impedance phase to rule out any acoustic short ckt.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back