Stereo Speaker Recommendations for A Small Room

Had a few extended auditions of the SCM19s. Nice but, those can't be my only set of speakers. I also think they falter at low to medium volume levels?

No Proac/Fyne/PMC available for audition.

The Spendor distributor did put me in touch with one of their clients here. And the gentleman was kind enough to host me for a nice, long audition of the Classic 2/3s. Absolutely love these.

Unfortunately, a series of unforeseen medical expenses have put a massive dent on my budget. Can't stretch for the 2/3s right now.

So, looking at the Proac Tablettes, Mission 770 and Mofi Sourcepoint 8. Any other options around this budget?

Would be glad for your inputs. This will be a deaf buy.

Last edited:
Had a few extended auditions of the SCM19s. Nice but, those can't be my only set of speakers. I also think they falter at low to medium volume levels?

The Spendor distributor did put me in touch with one of their clients here. And the gentleman was kind enough to host me for a nice, long audition of the Classic 2/3s. Absolutely love these.

Unfortunately, a series of unforeseen medical expenses have put a massive dent on my budget. Can't stretch for the 2/3s right now.

So, looking at the Proac Tablettes, Mission 770 and Mofi Sourcepoint 8. Any other options around this budget?

ATC 19 can go stupid loud. If it faltered, it is the amp not the speaker. In my room, they easily do 100+ dB at my listening position if I want with the monos I have.

Out of the remaining, tablette is very nice but won't go that loud as it is a small speaker. Sourcepoint 8 has rave reviews but I have not heard it.

ATC 19 can go stupid loud. If it faltered, it is the amp not the speaker. In my room, they easily do 100+ dB at my listening position if I want with the monos I have.

Out of the remaining, tablette is very nice but won't go that loud as it is a small speaker. Sourcepoint 8 has rave reviews but I have not heard it.
I meant to say that these didn't sound that great unless cranked up.

I would suggest to try the source point 8 or any other available coaxial speakers. The more the drivers are offset from each other, the higher the volume, and greater the listening distance we need to perceive a whole some sound. Just physics...and nothing to do with the speaker in question.

I got a pair of KEF LS50 Meta's for a near field setup. And found the hype to be real. They really scale with a good chain up their back. Iam aware that they are well below your budget, but paired with a decent sub like a Rel, they truly sound great. My room is 16 x 11.5 ft, and they have absolutely no problem filling it nicely. Though really high volumes might be a problem, though I've never tried it. I also have a Rel sub at hand to assist in the low end if required. But never found a need to plug it in at my near field moderate listening volumes.

I initially had apprehensions about the metal drivers, but since Iam running them with tubes. Turns out my fears were unfounded.

P.S : The human perception of loudness is frequency variable. The brain usually associates volume with bass levels. So adding a sub, and dialing it up a little extra, helps with low volume listening. This is very much akin to what the loudness control on integrated amps does.

LS3/5a's are very good for near field listening and small room, but they do scale well, they sound nice too in low volume, you don't need to crank up volume.

I had klipsch rp-600m paired with good tube amps sounds good in low volume

Had ProAC tablette 10 & still own Tannoy Definition DC8 ( similar to Mofi in design)

The tablettes are amazing speakers for their size, have a very sweet midrange with a decent top end, bass understandably so are not their strong point. But I don't think it can be your only speaker.

I was presented with the dilemma of retaining the Tablette or Tannoy & opted for retaining the Tannoy. Their midrange is very similar to the Proac , a very enveloping soundstage which goes beyond the speaker, not the last word in top end resolution but darn musical overall & bass also digs deep enough. If the Mofi are similarly tuned I would recommend the same.

I owned both ATC SCM 19 v1 and currentv2's. Each for a period of 2 years each. Excellent speakers, but mofi sourcepoint 8 is significantly better imo. Being ported their bass extension is much deeper, they scale up much better and sound like a larger speaker and lastly their imaging is significantly better due to the coaxial arrangement. I also had the proac tablette in my listening room for a week, they were better than the spendor classic 3/5 I had had at that time but nowhere close to the mofi's.
Cheers,
Sid

Gentlemen, thank you for all your replies. I picked up a pair of used Dynaudio Focus 140s for the time being. The Kinki+Dyn synergy is quite pleasing, and the T9/x helps in spades.
I'll be back to pick you brains in a few months, hopefully!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back