Stereo Speaker Recommendations for A Small Room

shuv

Gentlemen, looking to change/upgrade my current speakers.

Room is not a true rectangle. There is a small squarish area (4ftL x 3.4ftW) on the RHS, beyond the front wall.

The actual listening area is 16ft long, 12.5 ft wide and 9ft high. The rear wall has a 4ft high glass sliding window across the entire 12.5 ft.

The LHS has a single bed and the RHS has an almirah, a bookshelf and a worktable. In between is my recliner/MLP.

Rock, Jazz, Blues and Western Classical are my primary genres. I do love me a bit of EDM from time to time.

I prefer a slightly warm of neutral sound. Extended treble makes me want to stab my ears.

As for source material, it's around 25% vinyl and 75% digital (local high-resolution files and Tidal HiFi).

Current chain - pair of SL1200s, ifi Zen Stream, Denafrips Pontus 12th, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Aurum Cantus 620 speakers. I've recently added a REL T9/x (and intend to go dual :p).

Any recos and suggestions appreciated.

P.S. The front wall has a TV and LR speakers for the AVR mounted. Orientation can't be changed.

Thank you @ajuvignesh. Have heard the Spendor A5(?) at a mate's place. Liked it. But damn, they don't come cheap. I would definitely like to experience their Classic line sometime.

My bad @RRR I should've mentioned my budget. Around 400k, maximum.

Another important point I left out. It would be nice if the speakers can be used for late night sessions without having to crank up the loud pedal.

Can have a look at proac response dt8, pylon jade20, SF lumina V
Proacs have good midrange. Are you sure, it is warm as well?
Thank you @ajuvignesh. Have heard the Spendor A5(?) at a mate's place. Liked it. But damn, they don't come cheap. I would definitely like to experience their Classic line sometime.

My bad @RRR I should've mentioned my budget. Around 400k, maximum.

Another important point I left out. It would be nice if the speakers can be used for late night sessions without having to crank up the loud pedal.
You're welcome sir. I thought A5's price was under 4L. What is the price now?

@Phew The Jade 20 is very interesting. But the compression drive is what gets me worried. The DT8s are on my list. But, for what it's worth, WhatHiFi review seems ambiguous. As for the SF Luminas, heard that they are a bit on the leaner side? No firsthand experience though.

@ajuvignesh The A4s retail for 380. Problem with Spendor is, I'll keep on kicking myself for not plonking for the Classic variants.

Proacs have good midrange. Are you sure, it is warm as well?
The tweeter is easy going and little rolled off, the upper bass and mids are where they sound balanced and to a 15-20 minute audition they might even sound boring and meh!!!. Longer listening is where you get rewarded.

@Phew The Jade 20 is very interesting. But the compression drive is what gets me worried. The DT8s are on my list. But, for what it's worth, WhatHiFi review seems ambiguous. As for the SF Luminas, heard that they are a bit on the leaner side? No firsthand experience though.
Whats the worry with compression drivers? Its got a big sound which is very easy on the ears, fills the space well with music, low volume listening is excellent, the bass is tight and controlled and has good slam to it when turned up, its not gonna win any detailing or little nuance battle. Also to note with some SS amps its horn driver does exhibit some sibilance but with tubes amps that not an issue.

Personally I think all sonus fabers this side of 10 lacs suck bigtime. They neither get their tone nor their timing right. The only sonus speakers worth considering are their homage series which are much better.

Proacs are nice speakers - their old school response 1sc is a fabulous speaker for the money. Out of their current range, I have only experienced the tablette 10 signature and that has very nice warm laid back sound.

If you want spendor, look at their old school line. The A series is neither here nor there. I would not spend my money on them.

Finally - please try listening to ATC, Tannoy, Fyne Audio - all of these are absolutely excellent speakers. Another speaker worth considering is an old school dynaudio confidence c1 if you can find it used.

Thank you for the replies gentlemen!

@jenson The Arkas come with inbuilt amplification? That would make my fairly new integrated redundant, won't it? I don't want to change it right now. But yes, have heard a bigger model at a FM's place here. They sure do sound nice.

@Phew I'm concerned with the pairing of the Jade's CD with my SS amp. Unfortunately, there aren't any dealers in Calcutta. Don't want to explore tubes just now. I'm reading up on the DT8s as much as I can :)

@reignofchaos Ah! The ATCs. Would the Kinki (215@8) have enough power for the ATCs? The SCM40 is 550, way beyond my budget. The SCM19s for 310 is more accessible. Just not sure about the power part. You run the 19s with 300 wpc monos don't you? The local dealer has offered a home audition for the 19s. Let's see how those fare in my rig.
If I go with Spendors, it'll be the Classic Line most probably. Not the A. Any idea about the older D7s though? I'm trying to audition the Fyne Audio 700.

@jenson The Arkas come with inbuilt amplification? That would make my fairly new integrated redundant, won't it? I don't want to change it right now. But yes, have heard a bigger model at a FM's place here. They sure do sound nice.

@Phew I'm concerned with the pairing of the Jade's CD with my SS amp. Unfortunately, there aren't any dealers in Calcutta. Don't want to explore tubes just now. I'm reading up on the DT8s as much as I can :)

@reignofchaos Ah! The ATCs. Would the Kinki (215@8) have enough power for the ATCs? The SCM40 is 550, way beyond my budget. The SCM19s for 310 is more accessible. Just not sure about the power part. You run the 19s with 300 wpc monos don't you? The local dealer has offered a home audition for the 19s. Let's see how those fare in my rig.
If I go with Spendors, it'll be the Classic Line most probably. Not the A. Any idea about the older D7s though? I'm trying to audition the Fyne Audio 700.

I think those are MRPs - you will get 20-25% off on those prices. A 200W/ch high current amp should do okay with the SCM19. I recently tried a NAD M33 and it was very dynamic - drove it exceptionally well. So it all depends on the amp's drive capabilities. Since you have the option of home audition, do try it out.

D series Spendors are supposed to be nice but I've never heard them. I've only heard the Classic and the A series. Some of the Classic series Spendors were nice but the A was a disappointment really.

Rethm is a great option if the single driver sound works for you. Do not buy these without audition - if you like them, nothing else will work afterwards for you. But if you are used to conventional speakers - some might find the treble a bit rolled off.

Another speaker worth considering is Harbeth P3esr if you can position it near/midfield. Only issue is it might suffer for EDM if you don't have a sub.

Harbeth P3ESR suits your requirements another option is Proac 10. Do Consider Adding a Subwoofer like Rel T5X with the Bookshelf Speakers.
I'm Using P3ESR SE which has a Great signature, bass response is adequate. I'm finding it bit small to my listening area but the Tonality keeps you hooked.

ATCs need a proper Chain and once its set its hard to beat them at that price point. ATCs SCM 19 v2 is another great Choice, you can drive it with Kinki Studio EX M1. SCM 40 v2 will be big and they need Space all around to Sound Good.

yes it does come with internal amplification, but it can be bypassed, that's the beauty of it....you can get two flavors. in addition to that, aarkas throw a massive sound stage, truly an immersive experience which quite frankly multi driver setup cant match.

last but not the least, the comfort of having lifetime support.

Spendor d series is awesome but that treble maybe be bit too much if thats not your type, classic series maybe more in line.

Back