stereo speakers suggestions needed

Rem

I am planning to build a stereo system with one of the CD players and Amps given below.

CD Player - Cambridge Audio 640C V2/Marantz CD6002
Amplifier - Cambridge Audio 640A V2/Marantz PM6002

I would like to know your suggestions regarding the speakers to go with it. I am looking for speakers below 50k so I imagine its better to look for decent quality bookshelf speakers rather than go for low end floor standing ones.

The one I have auditioned are

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 - Which were just sensational with CA amp and CD player especially considering it costs onl 26k.

I also heard some Sonodynes which I thought did not come anywhere near the Mezzos performance.

The one I need to audition are

B&W 685 - If you guys could tell me where I can get this auditioned in Bangalore.

Dali Lektor 1 - I got no idea how much they would cost but need to check them out since Dali's do make some very good speakers

Monitor Audio Silver RS1

Dali Ikon 2

Epos M12.2

I listen to all kinds of music. If you have any suggestions regarding any other speakers amp(around 25k) or CD(25k) player within the price range do let me know.

Thankyou
Rem

most of the products that you've listed are good. i guess it'll be up to what you listen and like. my choice would be the monitor audio rs1 with either the cambridge or you could look at a nad.

Need to audition the RS1. NAD I thought would be out of my budget ie y i did not consider NAD. Thank you for the reply have you auditioned the B&W 685's saw a lot of favorable opinions on those.

Thanks for the reply

Rem:

For the CA combination, I once heard the 640C and 640A with Quad 11L. The sound was extremely powerful and pleasing. You could try the 11L, 12L or the new 11L2, or 12L2.

Cheers

Need to audition the RS1. NAD I thought would be out of my budget ie y i did not consider NAD. Thank you for the reply have you auditioned the B&W 685's saw a lot of favorable opinions on those.

Thanks for the reply

havent heard the 685's but from what i understand they're good as well. but audition the rs1. normally cambridge and nad are in the same price range, but not sure about the prices in india

Rem:

For the CA combination, I once heard the 640C and 640A with Quad 11L. The sound was extremely powerful and pleasing. You could try the 11L, 12L or the new 11L2, or 12L2.

Cheers

But I read in some reviews that the Quad 12L2 where a little too bright. But I read that in whathifi reviews so need to listen to it first. Need to find out where I can audition it in Bangalore

What do you guys think about Marantz CD 6002 CD player and a Marantz PM6002 AMP instead of the CA's which would be better.

Thanksyou for the feedback

Hi Rem,
What someone describes as bright u may find revealing and detailed. The quads (older avatar) from what i remember were sweet speakers but cant fill a room with sound. I think the MA silvers are good value for money and though i am a B&W fan i didnt like the new 685 s too much. I would not buy them at 40K + taxes for sure.
Regarding the electronics the Marantz cdps are good in every price range IMO and so is the basic PM 7001 integrated.
In the end its your opinion that counts and since u loved the CA/Mezzo combo i suggest u hear a few more combos and see how they all compare. I would personally avoid a CA amp though the cdps are decent.
Regards

Hi Rem,
What someone describes as bright u may find revealing and detailed. The quads (older avatar) from what i remember were sweet speakers but cant fill a room with sound. I think the MA silvers are good value for money and though i am a B&W fan i didnt like the new 685 s too much. I would not buy them at 40K + taxes for sure.
Regarding the electronics the Marantz cdps are good in every price range IMO and so is the basic PM 7001 integrated.
In the end its your opinion that counts and since u loved the CA/Mezzo combo i suggest u hear a few more combos and see how they all compare. I would personally avoid a CA amp though the cdps are decent.
Regards

Good Point Dinyaar that what everyone says it all depends on individual taste I am just a novice in this I am auditioning hi end speakers for the first time in my life so I guess the more I audition the more I would get to know about different speakers and brands.

And as you said I do want to go for Marantz 6 series cd player and amp now coz I heard a lot regarding those.

If you have auditioned any other in my price range do mention those and also can I get any good floor standing(ex-Mission M33i ) for this price so that I can avoid the expense of buying speaker stands.

Thanks for the replies

I am planning to build a stereo system with one of the CD players and Amps given below.

CD Player - Cambridge Audio 640C V2/Marantz CD6002
Amplifier - Cambridge Audio 640A V2/Marantz PM6002

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 - Which were just sensational with CA amp and CD player especially considering it costs onl 26k.

Hi Rem:

The CA combo and Mezzo 2 will have wonderful synergy. 640A V2 has enought power in its resource to drive Mezzo 2, coz am driving mine with a FS. I personally felt 640C V2 is a brilliant cdp, and was very impressed with the crystal clear sound coming from my speakers. Having said that, I'm not so happy with 640A V2's performance though, it lacks something when compared to Marantz (IMO), and I have been using it for the past 1 week my new 640's.

You cannot go wrong with PM6002 combo and Mezzo 2 also, coz I thought Marantz amps had that iron grip over the sound, and I really liked PM7001 and its sound.:)

Hi Rem:

The CA combo and Mezzo 2 will have wonderful synergy. 640A V2 has enought power in its resource to drive Mezzo 2, coz am driving mine with a FS. I personally felt 640C V2 is a brilliant cdp, and was very impressed with the crystal clear sound coming from my speakers. Having said that, I'm not so happy with 640A V2's performance though, it lacks something when compared to Marantz (IMO), and I have been using it for the past 1 week my new 640's.

You cannot go wrong with PM6002 combo and Mezzo 2 also, coz I thought Marantz amps had that iron grip over the sound, and I really liked PM7001 and its sound.:)

Marantz cdp and amp its going to be I am convinced on that need to audition it though. I am looking at the 6 Series.

Speakers I would like to audition the Dali Ikon 2 or Lektor 1

Epos M12
Dynaudio Excite

I do not know whether these would come under the sub Rs.50K budget that I have. If anybody have any idea about the pricing and availability of these in Bangalore do let me know.

I would be auditioning the B&W 685's this weekend somewhere in Indra nagar Banagalore. It would be the first time I would be listening to a B&W m all excited .

Thanks for all the info you are giving me

Epos M12 - 12.2 is the old model and 12i is the new model.
12.2 should cost you less than 35k and infact you can contact Ragu form Decibels, Chennai who should be able to give it to you cheaper than that. 12i should be around 42k if I remember right. Dynaudio should cost you more than 50k for sure. But, the more popular audience 52 should be less than 50k and should be considered definitely over excite 12 atleast.

Forgot to add my points on other speaker choices. Monitor Audio RS1 is definetly a very good speaker. It is a bit bright. But, I noticed that only when I did a direct A/B with the Quad's. Actually, I A/Bed MA RS6 with Quad 22L2 and I felt immediately, I will go for Quads instead of RS6. Actually, did you audition Usher S520 in Bangalore. The reason I am asking this is that I find S520 to be comparable to RS1 inspite of it being half the price. I am sure some might even like the S520 more than the RS1. If you like the S520, then you can allocate the budget to a sub woofer if you feel the need or even on a better amp and cd player.

Forgot to add my points on other speaker choices. Monitor Audio RS1 is definetly a very good speaker. It is a bit bright. But, I noticed that only when I did a direct A/B with the Quad's. Actually, I A/Bed MA RS6 with Quad 22L2 and I felt immediately, I will go for Quads instead of RS6. Actually, did you audition Usher S520 in Bangalore. The reason I am asking this is that I find S520 to be comparable to RS1 inspite of it being half the price. I am sure some might even like the S520 more than the RS1. If you like the S520, then you can allocate the budget to a sub woofer if you feel the need or even on a better amp and cd player.

Sorry, MA RS1 is way better than S520, and justifies every penny of the price difference. Love the finishing of the Usher though.. glossy piano.

MA will shine with warm amplification. Advice to the OP: do try it with NAD before you make up your mind.

Another thing: don't rule out standmounts on good, well-damped stands - you may find you vastly prefer this sound to that of a comparable floorstander. It's difficult to make quality floorstanders at low prices.

Persiflage

Sorry, MA RS1 is way better than S520, and justifies every penny of the price difference. Love the finishing of the Usher though.. glossy piano.

MA will shine with warm amplification. Advice to the OP: do try it with NAD before you make up your mind.

Another thing: don't rule out standmounts on good, well-damped stands - you may find you vastly prefer this sound to that of a comparable floorstander. It's difficult to make quality floorstanders at low prices.

Persiflage

Has any of you heard the Mezzo 2's I would like your opinion on those I thought for the price and size they were absolutely awesome with CA 640C V2 CDP and CA 640A V2 amp.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back