Stock speaker upgrade - Ford Ecosport

bobbyprajan

Upgraded the front door stock speakers of Ford Ecosport with ESB Audio 1.6K2 component speakers. The volume levels needs to be 2 points higher for same loudness as stock speakers. The sound is now fuller, with more detail and punch. The cost was 13.5K including installation

Upgraded the front door stock speakers of Ford Ecosport with ESB Audio 1.6K2 component speakers. The volume levels needs to be 2 points higher for same loudness as stock speakers. The sound is now fuller, with more detail and punch. The cost was 13.5K including installation
Did your stock system on the ecosport come with tweeters?

No it didnt have tweeters. The variant is Titanium
Its a shame Ford didn't equip the non-automatic versions of the Ecosport with tweeters in what is otherwise a reasonably full sounding system. The sound always felt a bit muffled because the tweeters are nested near the ankles.

Its a really puzzling choice as the one equipped on the 2nd Generation Fiesta, which is the same car that the Ecosport was based on, had one of the nicest systems i've heard. The tonal balance is outstanding and 10 years hence, I'm yet to come across a better sounding stock system in the sub 20L segment.

What is even more of a shame is that most budget sedans come with really lacklustre systems/ I don't expect "hi-fi" but at least a reasonably good sound - are there no good stock systems in the budget segment?

Last edited:
Its a shame Ford didn't equip the non-automatic versions of the Ecosport with tweeters in what is otherwise a reasonably full sounding system. The sound always felt a bit muffled because the tweeters are nested near the ankles.
Listening to the same songs in car and at home convinced me to upgrade the speakers

A colleague bought a Brezza recently and it has Arkamys sound system, which I think is better compared to the stock Ford setup

Is there an option to add an amp to the stock headunit? If yes, an amp will make those components really shine. You could even add a sub if you go in for a 4 channel amp.

MaSh

Is there an option to add an amp to the stock headunit? If yes, an amp will make those components really shine. You could even add a sub if you go in for a 4 channel amp.

MaSh
I have an amplifier and wiring kit with me. The stock stereo most probably will not have low level outputs to directly connect the amplifier. Will get a DSP and add the amplifier later

MaSh
Yes you can do that, i hooked up AMP with Stock headunit in my TATA HEXA car. There's a adapter which provides pre-out signal from standard stereo out where we need to hook to amp. My sound is greatly improved in clarity + loudlness. If possible you can upgrade your Head unit with aftermarket Stereos Pioneer/Sony etc with pre-outs which would be even better in sound quality. My Stock Headunit have many controls with my car lighting + driving system which will not be supported by aftermarket systems, thats why i could not upgrade my head unit.

Listening to the same songs in car and at home convinced me to upgrade the speakers
Upgrade the speakers at home or on the car?

For me, the Fiestas system was the reference and the unicorn i was chasing with my home setup.

While my home system has better resolution, the Fiesta has better balance throughout the frequency spectrum which results in a very full sound with excellent decay. Everything sounds pleasant and i can't help but tap my feet everytime i listen to any track through it, something i can't say with my home setup.

The Ford engineers must have spent some serious time EQing the system to get the results they'd achieved.

Changing the speakers in the Fiesta would probably result in a worse sound unless one deploys room correction - perhaps install a MiniDSP for the car, what say?

A colleague bought a Brezza recently and it has Arkamys sound system, which I think is better compared to the stock Ford setup
That's good to hear. Maruti stock setups are otherwise the worst. I had to do a good deal of overhauling on my Ciaz to get a decent sound. It's still nowhere as good as the Fiesta despite blowing a good chunk of change but miles better than Marutis stock setup.

The Ford Ecosport stock setup is also very average which is why I've upgraded the speakers on it as well. Again, despite a few substantial upgrades, i still can't get the system to sound as balanced as the one on it's sibling.

I haven't heard the Arkamys system on the Brezza. However, from my experience with the brand on the 3rd generation Verna (2018), it was a disaster and one of the most underwhelming systems I'd heard in a car. In fact, the 2nd generation Verna's (2016 facelifted version) no name system was much better.

Last edited:
Yup Ford does an excellent job with ice. I love the way the stock system in my Figo sounds.

MaSh

Did you consider illusion audio door pods before finalising on ESB 1.6K2?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back