Strange Problem Marantz PM5005

Earthing is properly done with the earthing rod and 1mm finolex wire. I have no idea about the residual AC voltage between neutral and earth, all I know 220 and 240 are steady. Btw, the plug that came with the wire is 2-pin. I also tried my computer 6A 3-pin plug but didn't work. The thing is that the amp worked fine for 3 days at my place and then the problem.

Hi

Clearly there is a power supply issue....if it works at your friends place and dealers place...there is something going wrong at your place....

Can you try connecting another electrical device which consumes the same or more power? You will know instantly if there is a electrical current flow shortage....

Just came back from the dealer, amp playing fine and this time auditioned the Dali Spektor 1 for an hour with the Marantz. Amazing small speakers for smaller rooms, clean and punchy. About the amp, he told me to get a stabilizer.

When it works fine at the dealer's place, then any dealer won't offer any replacement. Definitely, it's some wiring issues at your place. It may either be from EB outside >> your compound's 3 phase fuse carriers or from those 3 fuse carriers >> your individual meters.
As you say, you experience the same problem at the rest of your two neighbors, the only conclusion is that all three of your have some sort of wiring issues right at the distribution point.
Contact your builder (if it's a new house) or a good electrician who can sort it out for you.

Just came back from the dealer, amp playing fine and this time auditioned the Dali Spektor 1 for an hour with the Marantz. Amazing small speakers for smaller rooms, clean and punchy. About the amp, he told me to get a stabilizer.

SKS gave me another power cord to test but still nothing. Whenever I take the amp to SKS, it works fine in their showroom. Now, SKS is saying that the amp stays powered on there so it's not a fault and can't give a replacement. So I'm stuck in this situation. I'll try the reset thing though.

Reset didn't work. I even tried what SKS did, connect the power cord switched on to the amp and still nothing.

Another electrician came and checked the line, no voltage drop. He said that there's something wrong with the amp itself, get a replacement.

Checked with neighbor and same problem. We have 3 electricity meters and the problem shows in every one of them. This time I'm taking the amp to SKS and will ask them to connect the speakers and listen for an hour or so.

Will have to do that now. It was working fine in my friend's place before I set it up in my room. Will take it to friend's place again and see. All the wirings are new in my new room with earthing.

All the houses I checked at, except my friend's, are quite old. Mine is around 180 years and wiring is pretty old except few lines for newer appliances. But our new floor has new wiring with proper earthing. Could it be the mains which are very old ?

Hi

180 years old! WOW.....

Definitely there maybe not enough supply reaching the house....check.....3 phase electric supply is what seems to be bare minimum today...

...check.....3 phase electric supply is what seems to be bare minimum today...

One doesn't need a three phase supply to run Marantz PM5005.

To the OP: neutral to earth must be about 0.5V AC or less. Just for info.

I don't understand all that thing, had to trust the electrician. A friend told me he'll bring his 0.5KVA stabilizer and we'll see what happens.

All the houses I checked at, except my friend's, are quite old. Mine is around 180 years and wiring is pretty old except few lines for newer appliances. But our new floor has new wiring with proper earthing. Could it be the mains which are very old ?
Edit//
Even the new (floor) wiring is drawn from the mains na? Then, mains need to be checked into. Or do you have any trees touching the live cables in the street? //

I don't understand all that thing, had to trust the electrician. A friend told me he'll bring his 0.5KVA stabilizer and we'll see what happens.

Let me narrate my experience with the electrical wiring & electricians though this may sound OT w r to this thread.
We've 5 houses in our society. In one of the houses, the ECLB used to trip at around 1-1:30 pm and at around 11 pm daily. So, at around 1 pm & 11 pm rest of us, their neighbors would turn off our mains (& inverters too :) ) and see what happens. Still, that particular ECLB would trip. Whenever it trips, those neighbors used to turn on the ECLB switch after about 30 min or an hour or so. 4 different electricians were asked to check it out and all of them used to replace some indicator bulbs; a few switches here & there in the house; tape the joints in the wiring kind of repair jobs. However, this problem used to continue once they leave the premises. This was going on for about 10 days or so. One fine day, the ECLB never wanted to stay put. It just tripped down. Then came the 5th electrician (actually, he was the first one to attend and he was the one who suggested to check the neutral cable in the electric post itself - it was done too but still the ECLB used to trip down). Now, this guy looks around and ticks off what all the other repair jobs done by the other electricians and tells - right away,"Now, the ECLB is at fault. Let's replace the ECLB". It was replaced and voila! No more issues!
So, .... hope your electrician could sort it out real soon!

Last edited:
One doesn't need a three phase supply to run Marantz PM5005.

You need constant proper supply is what i meant....i am not a qualified electrician but have some basic knowledge around it and clearly OP has said the amp does not work in his place but works elsewhere appropriately....:)

If the power supply is ok, can you please check your speakers? They may have short circuited.

If you dont connect the speakers at all, does the Amp start?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

@MJ23Bulls: we've big trees in our place touching the lines and our mains are very old and not in good condition.

@SanjeevM, all I'm doing is connecting the power cord to the amp and that's all. Wires came terminated and no loose wire can be seen outside the banana plugs. I'm sure it's the voltage thing.

Brought the amp today from SKS. Borrowed a stabilizer from a friend. Connected the power cord and boom, it stays on. What a relief !!!

Connected the speaker wires and DAC, turned on and the problem shows again. :confused:

Frustrated and sad again.

Suddenly, something came to my mind. Rechecked the speaker cables. Hold on.... Stop guessing !!

I can't believe I'm so stupid. The polarities are all f'ed up. Pojitive me Negative aur Negative me Pojitive !! :lol: The wire with the stripe is negative while it was in positive and the black one should be in positive while it was in negative.

My system is working well without the stabilizer connected to the 6-10A socket. Listening to Wynk.

Yes, reversing the speaker leads will simply reverse your audio absolute phase. It can't lead to shutdown of the amp because the output terminals of the amp are facing a passive load.

I will repeat what I said earlier. Check the grounding of your home.

Forget hiring an electrician. Just go buy yourself a 500 Rupee digital multimeter. Typically cheap multimeters will have two AC voltage reading namely 200V and 700V. Look for a model that has 20V in its AC scale. Set it at 20V AC and measure the voltage across neutral and ground pins on your wall socket. It should ideally by less than or equal to half a Volt if your earthing is proper. On your wall socket, the top hole is ground, left is neutral, right is line. For info, line to neutral must read 230V, line to earth/ground must read 230V.

I will repeat what I said earlier. Check the grounding of your home.

Forget hiring an electrician. Just go buy yourself a 500 Rupee digital multimeter. Typically cheap multimeters will have two AC voltage reading namely 200V and 700V. Look for a model that has 20V in its AC scale. Set it at 20V AC and measure the voltage across neutral and ground pins on your wall socket. It should ideally by less than or equal to half a Volt if your earthing is proper. On your wall socket, the top hole is ground, left is neutral, right is line. For info, line to neutral must read 230V, line to earth/ground must read 230V.
+1
Nicely explained!
One more addendum for those novices...
Usually, the //right is line//... however, one can double check which one is line by checking with a tester with plug switched on.
And with 20v setting, only the neutral and ground should be tested. Don't dare to test either line + ground or line + neutral pin combos

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs. But my question is if there's a fault in the ground, won't it show in other appliances like AC, computers, fridges, induction cooktops, etc ? Btw, the power cord of the amp is 2-pin, no point for the ground.

Another person told me that it could be a case of dry soldering or IC overheating. No clue.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back