Strange sound while turning off equipment

rydhun

Hi,

I have a Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amplifier & Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s. I notice a strange squeak/short suction-like sound from the speakers when turning off the amplifier. I get the same sound whether I turn off the power switch on the amp, or turn off the switch on the wall outlet. Even when I turn off the source before turning off the amp (so that there's no audio on the speaker while switching off), I hear this same sound. It comes after 1.5-2 secs after power off. Is this sound normal? Fellow Norge owners: have you experienced this too?

Please advise.

Cheers!

Rydhun,

This is most probably improper earthing which is doing this. All units generate static electricity, and this discharged through the speakers when you power down. All amps also have capacitors and the power inside these capacitors have to be drained properly.

Make sure you have proper earthing to the amp. Get an electrician to test the power circuits or build a proper earthing circuit.

Cheers

Rydhun,

This is most probably improper earthing which is doing this. All units generate static electricity, and this discharged through the speakers when you power down. All amps also have capacitors and the power inside these capacitors have to be drained properly.

Make sure you have proper earthing to the amp. Get an electrician to test the power circuits or build a proper earthing circuit.

Cheers

The amp has a 2-pin power connector, how would the earthing work in that case? The amp is plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector power strip, which in turn has a 3-pin plug going into the wall plug.

The amp has a 2-pin power connector, how would the earthing work in that case? The amp is plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector power strip, which in turn has a 3-pin plug going into the wall plug.

This is fine. Have the wall plug checked if it has proper earthing and its connected. Cannot trust electricians these days. I had an additional 15 amp and a 5 amp put in my bedroom, but the electrician did not connect the 15 amp with earthing and every time I touched my PC I would get a jolt.

This is fine. Have the wall plug checked if it has proper earthing and its connected. Cannot trust electricians these days. I had an additional 15 amp and a 5 amp put in my bedroom, but the electrician did not connect the 15 amp with earthing and every time I touched my PC I would get a jolt.

I did try to plug-in the power strip into another wall outlet today, still got the squeak sound on power off. I'll get the earthing on both outlets checked by an electrician. But I still didn't understand how earthing on the wall plug will help if the amp has a 2-pin connector. Could you please explain?

What is the source?
3 sources going into the amp: Sony DVDP, WorldSpace & TataSky

This sounds like the amp is not shutting the output stage down before the input stage as it's supposed to. I don't think the Norge have a protection circuit or a power up/power down delay either, so this is something you might have to live with. I don't think that the amp or the speakers are in any danger because of this, unless it's producing very high frequencies or power at turn-off (very unlikely, though I've know it to happen).
I can surely live with it, but it would give me peace if I can be sure that it won't harm the amp or speaker drivers in any way.

As a test, try disconnecting the source and switching the power. Post back and I'll see if we can work on the issue.
Disconnected all 3 sources, turned on the amp, waited ~10 seconds, turned off the power switch on the amp. Got the same squeak sound.

Making a amp without earthing seems strange to me. Can you check with Norge as to how to add a earthing to the amp?

Another member had a similar problem which he solved by connecting an earthing wire to the body of the unit. Amps have large transformers and capacitors inside that are used to generate large currents. It is always better to have such units earthed properly.

Cheers

Tons of amps come without the earth pin and that is NOT a problem at all.
Rydhun its best to speak to Norge and seek clarification IMO.
FYI all the Bryston power amps have a small popping sound from the speakers when the power supply shuts down and i was assured by the Co that its normal and wont damage speakers.
Rgds

Hi,

I do not think Norge Amps do not have an earth. I have a Norge 2060 amp with me. It has only the Phase and Neutral wires and not the earth. As Venkat has suggested, it would be better to earth the body.

Regarding the sound, as another member as suggested, did you reduce the volume and switch off the speakers on the amp before switching off the amp ? May be you should speak to Mr. Shyam Bajaj of Norge on this.

Thanks

Rajendran Menon

What is the source?

This sounds like the amp is not shutting the output stage down before the input stage as it's supposed to. I don't think the Norge have a protection circuit or a power up/power down delay either, so this is something you might have to live with. I don't think that the amp or the speakers are in any danger because of this, unless it's producing very high frequencies or power at turn-off (very unlikely, though I've know it to happen).

well i second that it has nothing to do with earth.

Do you turn the amp volume down to zero before switching off? Try & see if that helps.

Just tried this:

* Reduced volume down to zero and turned off power from wall outlet (that the power strip is connected to): Same squeak sound
* Reduced volume down to zero and turned off amp from the power switch on amp panel: No squeak sound, very slight pop sound.

So I have a workaround at least:). What does the above suggest? Is turning down volume to zero a best practice while powering down?

Just tried this:

* Reduced volume down to zero and turned off power from wall outlet (that the power strip is connected to): Same squeak sound
* Reduced volume down to zero and turned off amp from the power switch on amp panel: No squeak sound, very slight pop sound.

So I have a workaround at least:). What does the above suggest? Is turning down volume to zero a best practice while powering down?

Tried #2 again just now after playing the amp for around 1.5 hours, got the squeak/squeal sound again. So apparently, I don't have a solution to the problem yet :sad:

Visiting the forum after a long time today hence this post to a graveyard thread.

Just to bring a logical closure to this thread: I had the amp shipped back to Norge and got the issue resolved. Also got the optional remote control, and the silver front plate changed to a black one. Mr. Shyam from Norge was prompt in his responses and provided good support for the problem. It was clarified that the sound will come only when the power is turned off from the wall outlet without switching off the amp, example: In case of a power cut. The problem was fixed & I'm no longer getting that sound when switching off the amp from the power switch on the front panel.

Thanks to everyone for their responses to this thread.

Cheers!

Visiting the forum after a long time today hence this post to a graveyard thread.

Just to bring a logical closure to this thread: I had the amp shipped back to Norge and got the issue resolved. Also got the optional remote control, and the silver front plate changed to a black one. Mr. Shyam from Norge was prompt in his responses and provided good support for the problem. It was clarified that the sound will come only when the power is turned off from the wall outlet without switching off the amp, example: In case of a power cut. The problem was fixed & I'm no longer getting that sound when switching off the amp from the power switch on the front panel.

Thanks to everyone for their responses to this thread.

Cheers!
Hi, I also have a 2060 and have been facing the same problem since day one, I am planning to include a speaker protection circuit. Do you think I should get in touch with Mr Shyam Bajaj for resolution of the problem, regards

Hi Sanjeev. Welcome to the Forum. I too owned, for a short while, an amp which made the same sound when switched off from the mains. However when using the power button on the amp, the sound was muted.
Sadly, Mr Shyam Bajaj is no longer there. You may contact Mr Laxman on the Norge numbers listed on the website. He will surely help. The 2060 is fine sounding amp,regardless. A friend was running them with Norge bookshelves and they did sound great.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back