Streaming Apple Music (Iphone) via Topping D10

debs hartke

Hello,

I've been trying to select the optimal solution before making any purchase or time spent :) so needing your valuable guidance.
My intention is to stream Apple Music, and I'm fine with 16 bit / 44 Khz.
I want to build the following but having huge doubts on what to use to stream AirPlay and link it to my DAC, Topping D10:
Iphone > ??? > Topping D10 > Ampli > Speakers

According to my research on the forum, Rasberry Pi would do the trick but it's not the best user-friendly solution for an amateur.

Would an Apple Airport (A1392) product be a good fit here? I was thinking on using it's USB port.
By using the USB port, will I be able to both transfer data and power-up the DAC?
1648629020733.png

And I also have an AppleTV (3rd Gen). Do you think that by connecting it to the DAC via an HDMI to USB b adaptor would also do the job?
1648629181711.png

Finally, here's the D10's ports:
1648629673045.png

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback and guidance.

Hello,

I've been trying to select the optimal solution before making any purchase or time spent :) so needing your valuable guidance.
I want to build the following but having huge doubts on what to use to stream AirPlay and link it to my DAC, Topping D10:

According to my research on the forum, Rasberry Pi would do the trick but it's not the best user-friendly solution for an amateur.

Would an Apple Airport (A1392) product be a good fit here? I was thinking on using it's USB port.
By using the USB port, will I be able to both transfer data and power-up the DAC?
View attachment 68349

And I also have an AppleTV (3rd Gen). Do you think that by connecting it to the DAC via an HDMI to USB b adaptor would also do the job?
View attachment 68350

View attachment 68351

Simply use the Apple Lighting to USB3 camera adapter. Don’t buy any third party ones.
Connect the adapter to the USB input of your D10 using a good quality USB cable.

Hello,

View attachment 68349

View attachment 68350

View attachment 68351

You can use the optical out, from both the airport express.
The white one will keep the original sample rate of 44.1
The black one will change it to 48

You can use the optical out, from both the airport express.
The white one will keep the original sample rate of 44.1
The black one will change it to 48
Oops.... optical will not work for D10.
The usb will also not work from the white one. It does not stream thru it.

Simply use the Apple Lighting to USB3 camera adapter. Don’t buy any third party ones.
Connect the adapter to the USB input of your D10 using a good quality USB cable.
Need a wireless solution here where I can stream/browse on my couch.

Oops.... optical will not work for D10.
The usb will also not work from the white one. It does not stream thru it.
I don't understand why its not possible thru USB port of the white one (Airport Express).
Iphone <Airplay> Airport Express <USB> D10 <RCA> ampli
Seems logic, no?

If I remember right, the airport express USB is only for a print server connection and not data. Do check

If I remember right, the airport express USB is only for a print server connection and not data. Do check
I checked. You're right. Thanks for the heads up.
So what's left in order to provide such "wireless" solution in order to fill the "???"

Rasberry Pi only?

Hello,

View attachment 68349

View attachment 68350

View attachment 68351

The airport express has a very decent DAC onboard .
If you can find an A1392, the analog output itself will be pretty good. (You may be able to find some on olx)

In case you must add a DAC, the A1392 does have optical out.

The airport express has a very decent DAC onboard .
If you can find an A1392, the analog output itself will be pretty good. (You may be able to find some on olx)

In case you must add a DAC, the A1392 does have optical out.
Yes but I can't power up the dac (topping d10) with an optical cable.

There is No wireless option to get Apple music to play more than 44.1. The only way get Lossless is to use the Apple adaptor+USB cable connected to your DAC.

MaSh

There is No wireless option to get Apple music to play more than 44.1. The only way get Lossless is to use the Apple adaptor+USB cable connected to your DAC.

MaSh
OP is fine with 16/44.1. He needs a wireless solution.

Ohh then there is no issue. That is how I am using currently. Airplay from Iphone or Windows pc (via Itune) to an Allo Digione Signature>>DAC.

MaSh
In this case (where 16/44.1 is OK), why bother with Allo Digione Signature (around 150 USD) instead of a simple Airport Express A1264 (25 USD on 2nd hand)?
I'm asking this by taking into account the confirmation above (by the user "superczar") saying that AirportExpress already having a built-in DAC inside.
1648657780581.png

On a game of 16/44.1 :

Iphone <Airplay> AirPortExpress <RCA> Ampli
vs.
Iphone <Airplay> DigiOne <USB> DAC <RCA> Ampli

Is it a draw? Or is there any winner here?
Until Apple upgrades its AirPlay to 192 KHz of course when the AirPortExpress will fail to reach such KHz levels.

In this case (where 16/44.1 is OK), why bother with Allo Digione Signature (around 150 USD) instead of a simple Airport Express A1264 (25 USD on 2nd hand)?
I'm asking this by taking into account the confirmation above (by the user "superczar") saying that AirportExpress already having a built-in DAC inside.
View attachment 68356

On a game of 16/44.1 :

Iphone <Airplay> AirPortExpress <RCA> Ampli
vs.

Is it a draw? Or is there any winner here?
Until Apple upgrades its AirPlay to 192 KHz of course when the AirPortExpress will fail to reach such KHz levels.
Because Signature + Soekris DAC is worth every bit bothering with. 😍

Digione gives out Digital Coaxial. USB is from the Pi.

MaSh

Because Signature + Soekris DAC is worth every bit bothering with. 😍

Digione gives out Digital Coaxial. USB is from the Pi.

MaSh
Since my DAC (Topping D10) does not have its own power supply, it needs it from the streaming device (here under the i/o),
1648659759757.png
You're saying that the DAC will get 2 cables from the Pi & DigiOne package:
  • 1 from the Pi itself to get the power, via USB
  • And 2 from the DigiOne to get sound data, via optical or coaxial.
Is it even possible/feasible? Cause the optical and coaxial ports are defined as "output" here.

Please advise, we've almost reached the end, I think :) Unfortunately a sad one...

Since my DAC (Topping D10) does not have its own power supply, it needs it from the streaming device (here under the i/o),
View attachment 68357
You're saying that the DAC will get 2 cables from the Pi & DigiOne package:
  • 1 from the Pi itself to get the power, via USB
  • And 2 from the DigiOne to get sound data, via optical or coaxial.
Is it even possible/feasible? Cause the optical and coaxial ports are defined as "output" here.

Please advise, we've almost reached the end, I think :) Unfortunately a sad one...
Nope, you cannot use this DAC with with Digione. This is a USB input only. So yeh you can try an RPi 4 (Not RPi3) and use the USB from it. However, I am not sure about the powering part. Most likely it will be okay, but would urge you to test it out before picking one up.

MaSh

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back