Streaming Apple Music (Iphone) via Topping D10

Hello,

I've been trying to select the optimal solution before making any purchase or time spent :) so needing your valuable guidance.
My intention is to stream Apple Music, and I'm fine with 16 bit / 44 Khz.
I want to build the following but having huge doubts on what to use to stream AirPlay and link it to my DAC, Topping D10:
Iphone > ??? > Topping D10 > Ampli > Speakers
You can connect your iphone using a camera adaptor and
1648663610450.png
and a USB A to USB C cable. Something like this which is typically used for connecting a printer

1648663708957.png

According to my research on the forum, Rasberry Pi would do the trick but it's not the best user-friendly solution for an amateur.

Would an Apple Airport (A1392) product be a good fit here? I was thinking on using it's USB port.
By using the USB port, will I be able to both transfer data and power-up the DAC?
Raspberry PI can do it only through the shairport application, which provides exactly the same solution as an Airport Express. But you can do the same thing using an adaptor and a printer cable as shown above. The USB port of AE can power the dac but not transfer data. It will recognize only printers connected to the USB port and not DACS

View attachment 68349

And I also have an AppleTV (3rd Gen). Do you think that by connecting it to the DAC via an HDMI to USB b adaptor would also do the job?

No. The ATV is not a general purpose hardware. IT has a restriced ecosystem and will not recognize a dac connected to any of its ports

Finally, here's the D10's ports:
View attachment 68351

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback and guidance.
This DAC has USB B input. Hence it will accept data only through the USB port. The only solution is to hook up like this

iphone ---> lightning to USB female --> printer cable ---> D10

lighting to USB female is provided by the camera adaptor. It is just an electrical connection. You can either pay a premium by buying the original apple camera adaptor or any generic lighting to USB 2.0. / USB 3.0 connector
and
any USB A to USB B cable or any printer cable.

Attachments

• 1648663384875.png
    1648663384875.png
    714 KB · Views: 7
In this case (where 16/44.1 is OK), why bother with Allo Digione Signature (around 150 USD) instead of a simple Airport Express A1264 (25 USD on 2nd hand)?
I'm asking this by taking into account the confirmation above (by the user "superczar") saying that AirportExpress already having a built-in DAC inside.
View attachment 68356

On a game of 16/44.1 :

Iphone <Airplay> AirPortExpress <RCA> Ampli
vs.
Iphone <Airplay> DigiOne <USB> DAC <RCA> Ampli

Is it a draw? Or is there any winner here?
Until Apple upgrades its AirPlay to 192 KHz of course when the AirPortExpress will fail to reach such KHz levels.
Don’t get this one (gen 1) .. Gen 2 has airplay2 support and a noticeably better DAC.
I have a bunch of gen2 AEs setup for multi-room streaming.

To my (admittedly untrained) ears, they do sound plenty good.
The latter may turn out a trifle better (or worse) but in either case, it will be a subtle difference at most.

In terms of how the DAC on AE gen 2 measures, this is what I could find on the inter webs

Now this reviewer seems to have gone a bit overboard with praise - but I agree with the broad assessment that the SQ is not bad at all by any means

For D10 and apple airplay in general below is what i had experimented.

View attachment 68361
Wow! Thanks a lot for the detailed study, highly appreciated.
  1. Can you offer me what combination of Pi I should use in order get a "Pi to D10" connection via USB?
    Cause on the above replies someone mentioned that via USB such solution might not be feasible with AlloDigioneSig.

2. Made a quick research and found this one on the 2nd hand market, I think I'll buy it. My question on this one:
    Iphone <airplay> airport <RCA> ampli = this one seems the easiest solution and will be able to play 16/44.1. Am I correct?

But is it also feasible the following?
    Iphone <airplay> airport <USB> D10 <RCA> ampli

3. OK. Same as above

4. OK. Out of scope now. Thanks for the heads-up.

5. I already have this device at home. So, do you think I can get 16/44.1 via the following?:
    Iphone <airplay> appletv <optical to RCA converter> ampli
    1648718826945.png
note: I have a Yamaha AX-397 ampli having only RCA inputs.

Please advise.
In advance thanks!

1. Can you offer me what combination of Pi I should use in order get a "Pi to D10" connection via USB?
    Cause on the above replies someone mentioned that via USB such solution might not be feasible with AlloDigioneSig.

2. Made a quick research and found this one on the 2nd hand market, I think I'll buy it. My question on this one:
    Iphone <airplay> airport <RCA> ampli = this one seems the easiest solution and will be able to play 16/44.1. Am I correct?

3. OK. Same as above

5. I already have this device at home. So, do you think I can get 16/44.1 via the following?:
    View attachment 68364

Please advise.
In advance thanks!
Since your current dac D10 accepts USB only, there are two options.

1. Get a raspberry pi 4 model. (Not 3)
After some config, it will output audio via usb.
I had used this approach and it sounded good. (My model was 3 however. But 4 has better usb with less noise)

2. In Allo, there is a usb based model called as Allo Signature which outputs usb. ( note, the other version called as Digione outputs coax spdif and not usb). This Signature version will have better sound quality than point #1.

However point#1 will be less expensive. It can be a good start. If you don't want much hassle and ok to spend money, go for the allo approach.

3. OK. Same as above

View attachment 68364

Please advise.
In advance thanks!
One more thing.

Since you already have apple tv3 and the convertor (optical to rca),
Yes that will also work. BUT the rate would be 48 khz. (And not 44.1)

In this case D10 is not required.

Simply use the Apple Lighting to USB3 camera adapter. Don’t buy any third party ones.
Connect the adapter to the USB input of your D10 using a good quality USB cable.
Am not OP. But I walked this path. I ordered Lightening to USB3 camera adaptor from apple.com and connected iPhone 11/iPad 8th gen with the Topping DAC through adaptor & USB cable: iPhone---lightening to USB adaptor---USB cable (type A to Type B) --- DAC. After first connection, there was a software update, but no sound is coming. The DAC is functioning correctly with a PC though. I am out of my wits. Out of desperation, I have ordered two cables, one new USB type A to Type B to check if the present cable is not working. This is unlikely though, as the DAC is functioning well with the PC.

To check if the adaptor is okay, I plan to hook up the adaptor with a PC to check if the file transfer is working.

I am really bamboozled. Kindly point out the issue in the set up.

Just to clarify about the DAC, it is Topping D30 and not D10.

Last edited:
Am not OP. But I walked this path. I ordered Lightening to USB3 camera adaptor from apple.com and connected iPhone 11/iPad 8th gen with the Topping DAC through adaptor & USB cable: iPhone---lightening to USB adaptor---USB cable (type A to Type B) --- DAC. After first connection, there was a software update, but no sound is coming. The DAC is functioning correctly with a PC though. I am out of my wits. Out of desperation, I have ordered two cables, one new USB type A to Type B to check if the present cable is not working. This is unlikely though, as the DAC is functioning well with the PC.

To check if the adaptor is okay, I plan to hook up the adaptor with a PC to check if the file transfer is working.

I am really bamboozled. Kindly point out the issue in the set up.

Just to clarify about the DAC, it is Topping D30 and not D10.

Apparently D10 doesn't work easily with IOS devices. Read this thread and read post 677 in that thread. Apparently you need to use that adaptor and also supply power to that lightning to camera adaptor while connected to dac

Apparently D10 doesn't work easily with IOS devices. Read this thread and read post 677 in that thread. Apparently you need to use that adaptor and also supply power to that lightning to camera adaptor while connected to dac

Looks like I made a mistake by buying the adapter without checking the Topping DAC issues with iOS. Don’t intend to buy another DAC. For the time being, DAC will be with PC and iPhone shall be connected to the amplifier directly through apple lightening to 3.5mm converter. Sound quality is not as good as PC-DAC-Amp combo but streaming is more convenience than sound quality. Apple Music is very buggy in web and that kills the mood.

Looks like I made a mistake by buying the adapter without checking the Topping DAC issues with iOS. Don’t intend to buy another DAC. For the time being, DAC will be with PC and iPhone shall be connected to the amplifier directly through apple lightening to 3.5mm converter. Sound quality is not as good as PC-DAC-Amp combo but streaming is more convenience than sound quality. Apple Music is very buggy in web and that kills the mood.
Apple has a long road ahead when it comes to delivering quality music to the final destination. It is a big headache to use any non-apple device with apple products. I discovered this after buying a year of apple music subscription. Feb 2023, I will be cancelling it. Spotify does it better. Apple is so stuck to 48Khz sampling rate for their devices. WHen it comes to macbook, mac mini the situation is worse. Even as of 2022, apple doesn't now how to automatically change the sampling rate with the source. One has to use an application called 'Audio Midi Setup' to change the rate everytime the source sample rate changes.

IOS devices thankfully do that automatically, but not all DACs work. Only those that draw very little power work. So the DAC needs to draw power from somewhere else.

You can try the following. Just get a powered USB hub. If you have one then fine. Something like this which can be powered by a cell phone charger

Then do the following
1) Connect the camera adapter cable to iphone.
2) Connect the cell phone charger to the USB hub
3) Connect the USB hub to the camera adaptor
4) Connect the dac to any of the USB port on the USB hub

By doing this, the DAC will not draw any power from the iphone and the iphone will recognize the DAC. The advantage of a powered usb hub is that you can use it with firestick, chromecast and other devices and added ethernet ports, etc.

The other way is to get this adaptor which allows you to charge the iphone as well as connect a USB device to the iphone at the same time

Last edited:
Apple has a long road ahead when it comes to delivering quality music. It is a big headache to use any non-apple device with apple products. I discovered this after buying a year of apple music subscription. Feb 2023, I will be cancelling it. Spotify does it better. Apple is so stuck to 48Khz sampling rate for their devices. WHen it comes to macbook, mac mini the situation is worse. Even as of 2022, apple doesn't now how to automatically change the sampling rate with the source. One has to use an application called 'Audo Midi Setup' to change the rate everytime the source sample rate changes.

IOS devices thankfully do that automatically, but not all DACs work. Only those that draw very little power work. So the DAC needs to draw power from somewhere else.

You can try the following. Just get a powered USB hub. If you have one then fine. Something like this which can be powered by a cell phone charger

Then do the following

By doing this, the DAC will not draw any power from the iphone and the iphone will recognize the DAC. The advantage of a powered usb hub is that you can use it with firestick, chromecast and other devices and added ethernet ports, etc.

The other way is to get this adaptor which allows you to charge the iphone as well as connect a USB device to the iphone at the same time
I connected my iPhone to the audioquest dragonfly v 1.2 using a cheap lightning to usb connector from Amazon and surprisingly it works :) in fact audioquest on its website says that v1 and v1.2 will not work with Apple products. However I got flawless connection. secondly I thought that I would need the more expensive camera connection kit but thankfully the cheaper connector worked just fine

Last edited:
Apple has a long road ahead when it comes to delivering quality music to the final destination. It is a big headache to use any non-apple device with apple products. I discovered this after buying a year of apple music subscription. Feb 2023, I will be cancelling it. Spotify does it better. Apple is so stuck to 48Khz sampling rate for their devices. WHen it comes to macbook, mac mini the situation is worse. Even as of 2022, apple doesn't now how to automatically change the sampling rate with the source. One has to use an application called 'Audo Midi Setup' to change the rate everytime the source sample rate changes.

Then do the following

My DAC is Topping D30, which unlike D10 has separate power adaptor. So I don't think power alone is the issue. Some other users have also reported issued regarding non compatibility of D30 with iOS. But sadly I did not look up before buying.

One more thing to add: PC+DAC+AMP combo works well with native FLAC files. Now-a-days, I am trying to shift to streaming (specially after apple music offered lossless streaming). But the big bummer is that apple music web app does not support lossless. So the net result is

PC (apple music web)+Topping D30+Marantz PM 5004 offers inferior SQ than iPhone (apple music lossless)+ apple lightening to 3.5mm + 3.5mm to RCA cable + Marantz PM 5004.

I have tried to play same files back to back in the above 2 cases and sadly the PC comes second as Apple web music app really sucks.

So, I will have to buy a iPhone compatible DAC or wait till Apple web music offers lossless quality.

I connected my iPhone to the audioquest dragonfly v 1.2 using a cheap lightning to usb connector from Amazon and surprisingly it works :) in fact audioquest on its website says that v1 and v1.2 will not work with Apple products. However I got flawless connection. secondly I thought that I would need the more expensive camera connection kit but thankfully the cheaper connector worked just fine
Good to know that. The best way to enjoy apple lossless is through IOS devices only as of now. I use a mac mini with some mod to make apple music play to my dac. Plenty of websites showing how to play apple losless seem to be using the audioquest dacs.

I have tried to play same files back to back in the above 2 cases and sadly the PC comes second as Apple web music app really sucks.

So, I will have to buy a iPhone compatible DAC or wait till Apple web music offers lossless quality.
According to this article you can install itunes on pc and subscribe to apple music within itunes

My DAC is Topping D30, which unlike D10 has separate power adaptor. So I don't think power alone is the issue. Some other users have also reported issued regarding non compatibility of D30 with iOS. But sadly I did not look up before buying.
This issue is more to do with DACS to have a special XMOS support for IOS.

BTW the author of the above article says
If the XMOS chip is unsuitable, a message will pop on the iPhone/iPad indicating that the DAC is drawing too much power even when some DACs have their own power.

From what I gather is always supplying power separately to the iphone

But the user above says that he has a problem even after using the lightning camera adaptor.

I tried my android phone with apple music app. The quality wasn't good as the sampling rate was fixed at 48Khz.

According to this article you can install itunes on pc and subscribe to apple music within itunes

Tried this but sadly iTunes too play music like the web app. Its not lossless.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back