Streaming Media files from a NAS over Wi-Fi - has anyone tried it?

If you run Windows then everything else is available as freeware right from AV, Firewall, Office Suite, etc. to just about everything. Just let me know what you need and I'll send the links. In fact more freeware is available for MS OS than say Apple or Linux. Apart from XP/Vista and MS Office, everything else is freeware on my system and just about all the systems I install for my friends, colleagues, etc.

sounds good. I will read more about this mobo. Any idea as to how easily mobile cpu would be available and how much would they cost? Is this board going to be scalable to dual/ quad core CPUs going fwd?
Can I insert an intel into this board? I have no preference for a brand, and though I heard reboot/ stability and heating problems with amd decades back, I am sure they should now be as good as intel.

regards

Edit: I have seen the amd site for the mobo and I am kind of sold - unless it has some issues/ bugs it sounds good.
Regarding cpu - these turions seem 64 bit. What OS should be run on them? If I go for windows, it will add more cost, and more concerns wrt to anti-virus etc.

Can I get an oem version of OS? How much would a vista (which may be too much resource hogging/ not yet stable) or an XP (I am still on XP) cost?

Which is a good free AV? I use clamwin for my laptop at home but I am not too sure if there is a virus/ worm hidden from eye on that (well that I can not be sure with ANY av - but you have more doubts for a non main stram AV)

sounds good. I will read more about this mobo. Any idea as to how easily mobile cpu would be available and how much would they cost? Is this board going to be scalable to dual/ quad core CPUs going fwd?
Can I insert an intel into this board? I have no preference for a brand, and though I heard reboot/ stability and heating problems with amd decades back, I am sure they should now be as good as intel.

regards

Edit: I have seen the amd site for the mobo and I am kind of sold - unless it has some issues/ bugs it sounds good.
Regarding cpu - these turions seem 64 bit. What OS should be run on them? If I go for windows, it will add more cost, and more concerns wrt to anti-virus etc.

that board is for AMD cpus only. Quad core phenoms will work on the latest ones and with bios upgrades on older ones.

Get the mobo with socket AM3 or AM2+ and you should be all set.

Cheers

Can I get an oem version of OS? How much would a vista (which may be too much resource hogging/ not yet stable) or an XP (I am still on XP) cost?

Which is a good free AV? I use clamwin for my laptop at home but I am not too sure if there is a virus/ worm hidden from eye on that (well that I can not be sure with ANY av - but you have more doubts for a non main stram AV)

The OS will be the expensive option. XP is no longer sold, only Vista is. In fact support for XP is supposedly going to come to an end this April. Coming to anti-virus the best are AVG, Avast, and Avira AntiVir, all are good and free. Firewall Comodo is the best and free too. Gizmo's - Gizmo's Freeware Reviews | Gizmo's Freeware is an excellent site that lists the best in freeware from AV, Firewall, Burning S/W, Backup and Security Tools, etc. to just about everything.

what about cabinets?
The way this discussion is going regarding mobo and processor, it seems this will end up in the main listening rather than lying in a corner. Do you guys suggest that? My initial thought was to keep the NAS a cheap comp stuffed in some corner (just above my invertor), which is in a different room than drawing room. The drawing room has ht setup along with pj.

If this comes to the main room, will it still make sense to keep two comps? One customized for music by removing all excess hw/ sw and other NAS+movie+games? Or music+nas+games+movie all go into one, while in my bedroom(s) I can pull music/ movie from this server?

regards

Not much choice there. iBall look the best finish wise unless you go for the ones that cost 3800+/-. all others are pieces of molded junk.

Regards

what do you guys think about combining the nas box + media player into one comp for the main listening room? It can't be in the bedrooms for sure. I may build a second smaller box, or say, get a pch or wd tv for bedroom.

regards

what about cabinets?
The way this discussion is going regarding mobo and processor, it seems this will end up in the main listening rather than lying in a corner. Do you guys suggest that? My initial thought was to keep the NAS a cheap comp stuffed in some corner (just above my invertor), which is in a different room than drawing room. The drawing room has ht setup along with pj.

If this comes to the main room, will it still make sense to keep two comps? One customized for music by removing all excess hw/ sw and other NAS+movie+games? Or music+nas+games+movie all go into one, while in my bedroom(s) I can pull music/ movie from this server?

regards

gobble ji/ moserji,
suggest some combo please with actual processor/ mobo/ casing/psu.
Cost for an atom based machine should come out to 12-14k without OS(maybe I have missed something) and a zebronics cabinet. Maybe I just leave it as a server and install vortexbox on it.

For an HTPC suggested by you, I think it would easily be 22-25k without OS, with dcent cabinet and psu costing about 8-10k, mobo+processor costing another 8-10k. With onboard graphics and sound. To utilize this powerful hardware, I think I will have to put windows to use it as a music/ video/ gaming machine - another 7-8k. Wouldn't PS3 be a better option in that case? Minus running Ps3 as a NAS/ server.

Price difference is significant between the two options, around 10-20k extra.

regards

Well let's see. Of course this is the way I would go/have gone for friends and at the end you'll have a great performing machine...

SMPS/PSU - Frontech 450 W = Rs. 400
Intel Dual Core Processor for Rs. 3400 with 3 years warranty at Intel Pentium Processor - Specifications.
Intel MB for Rs. 3400 with 3 years warranty at Intel Desktop Board DG31PR - Overview.
Cabinet - Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1500 for a decent one.
RAM - DDR II 2 GB Rs. 1500
500 GB HDD Seagate - Rs. 3300.
DVD Writer - Rs. 1200-1500.

What else do you need? A good soundcard for starters especially if you intend to play music via the PC. Unless its going to be a gaming machine a graphics card is not required and others will agree/disagree here as I am sure you are aware based on other threads. Either way you decide based on the cost involved.

Prices are approximate from a month or so when I assembled a PC for a friend, but as you see quite cheap.

OS you already have XP and s/w just let me know I will give the links to the freeware.

Costs involved will be more or less similar even with other configurations. Of course a HTPC cabinet at least the silent ones will cost a lot more, but I would rather spend the same amount on an Asus Soundcard like the Essence STX which costs around 9K, but this again only if you intend to play music via the PC and want great sound. Of course if you can afford it and/or are an audiophile/videophile then nothing will satisfy you other than a silent cabinet so you make the decision.

Add usual peripherals like LAN card, keyboard/mouse, webcam, etc. Let me know if you want anything else specifically, but I think more or less everything is covered.

Finally don't even compare a PC to anything, not a PS3, or TViX or anything else. In terms of freewares, s/w, codecs in handling each and every format and just about anything else a PC is just unbeatable.

gobble ji/ moserji,
Cost for an atom based machine should come out to 12-14k without OS(maybe I have missed something) and a zebronics cabinet. Maybe I just leave it as a server and install vortexbox on it.

For an HTPC suggested by you, I think it would easily be 22-25k without OS, with dcent cabinet and psu costing about 8-10k, mobo+processor costing another 8-10k. With onboard graphics and sound. To utilize this powerful hardware, I think I will have to put windows to use it as a music/ video/ gaming machine - another 7-8k. Wouldn't PS3 be a better option in that case? Minus running Ps3 as a NAS/ server.

regards

gobble ji/ moserji,

regards

There is another thread on htpc with latest pricing posted by a bangalore member. But a quick recap from memory

780G mobo - 4250/- max
2.1ghz dual core cpu - 2750 max
2 x 2gb DDR 800 RAM - 2000/- max
500 GB seagate 7200.12 (single platter latest and greatest) - 2850/- ( just got it)

iBall cabinet (no smps) - 1000/- max
Corsair cx400 smps - 3200/- max
22x DVD Writer - 1350/- max.

Total: 17400/- .

Do you have a monitor? Only cpu/Mobo procing is different rest all the expenditure you need to incur.

What more do you need?

Regards

forgot: Add the cost of 802.11n wireless card.

The mobo comes with onboard gigabit ethernet and usb ports.

Even with the atom board you need to buy all these components.

Cheers

780G mobo - 4250/- max
2.1ghz dual core cpu - 2750 max
2 x 2gb DDR 800 RAM - 2000/- max

Any specific model numbers for both? I will call some shops in Nehru place to see if they have them.

Do you have a monitor? Only cpu/Mobo procing is different rest all the expenditure you need to incur.

What more do you need?

Regards

I don't have one - but if it is performing htpc duties, it can live with connection to pj/ tv?

regards

Any specific model numbers for both? I will call some shops in Nehru place to see if they have them.

I don't have one - but if it is performing htpc duties, it can live with connection to pj/ tv?

regards

A gigabyte GA-MA780GM-XXXX series in DS2H/S2HP or DS3H should do fine.
Better to look for socket AM3 support (P) for latest cpu support.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2949

but please spend some time here before deciding: InsideHW - 780G Chipset Motherboards Roundup

The best low wattage cpu currently is the BE-2350/4050/4850. BE stands for energy efficient 45W max TDP cpus. These will underclock from full speed to 1ghz using AMD PowerNow drivers lowering cpu watts used even further. I have a cpu meter applet and it shows the clock speed slide down every time I pause doing anything on my desktop.

The 4050 is the best - 1MB cache per core compared to 512 of the 2350 @2.1ghz. Mine runs full HD 1080p at 50% cpu.

More data on 780G: AMD 780G: Best Ever Integrated Mainstream Chipset? | silentpcreview.com

Cheers

Transcend DDR2 RAM is the most cost-effective good brand. One 2GB dimm for 1000/- You need x2 dimms for max memory performance so either get 1GB x 2 or 2gb x2.

Cheers

for a HTPC without an receiver or amplifier the msi media live diva 5.1/7.1 is a good option. Just an additional info.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back