streaming netflix via TV to denon 550bt - unable to get sound mode of 5.1

Have you checked the input audio signal format on AVR, is it 2.0? You should definitely get DD/DD+ thru ARC, let us crack it.
Add some images of your audio menu options on TV, the web manual was not at all detailed enough.
the last two images are DENON menu where the pass through is on, and the remaining full blue are TV options where there is nothing mentioned about the ARC, one of the image says HDMI3, that is the one which has ARC. so the detailed sound settings are of that specific HDMI3

Attachments

• 20201012_105157.jpg
    20201012_105157.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201012_105221.jpg
    20201012_105221.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201012_105228.jpg
    20201012_105228.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201012_105232.jpg
    20201012_105232.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201012_112718.jpg
    20201012_112718.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201012_105543.jpg
    20201012_105543.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201012_105349.jpg
    20201012_105349.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201012_105252.jpg
    20201012_105252.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201012_112732.jpg
    20201012_112732.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 17
It does support DD/DD+, so 5.1 should work without any issues. You can compare the different standards here. Any better with a different HDMI cable?

No , I haven't tried with any other cable, had a old one which did not even provide audio to receiver, then got the bluerigger HDMI cable from amazon. and now sound comes only in stereo mode.

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Supports 3D, 4K 60Hz, Audio Return ,​

The "Digital Audio Out" option may be the culprit here, pls check the options and try to set DD or DD+ or Auto or Raw. Refer 3rd image from the last.

Can you try as said in the above video.
Hi Arun,

My tv doesnt have menu related to ARC (it doesnt support eARC anyway). I have some more confusion now :-( , when I tried to play 5.1 video from youtube, all the 5.1 related options are available on my Denon, like dolby pro logic, DD, Neo Cinema etc etc, but the worst part is. There are certain videos which provide sound one speaker after another, and when that happens when the video selects and plays music to Rear Left and Rear Right , the sound doesnt come from them and instead they come from the front left and front right :-(. But when I ran the auto calibration, the sound came properly in all the 5.1 correctly. I am super confused on what is happening.

Yeah, this could be the smoking gun...
When I went in to change the option, it has been mentioned as digital optical output setting, so I guess this is related to optical output and not the HDMI3/ARC setting, this is all very confusing. now my question is ,if it is optical output setting, why is it listed under the HDMI3 sound setting, Any tip or suggestion would be of great help to me.

Attachments

• digital_audio_out.png
    digital_audio_out.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 11
Adding Confusion to the above observations, the moment I enter the "advance audio settings of the TV, this message from the AVR also comes in the background saying SOUND-STEREO , I couldnt find where to change this Sound-Stereo in AVR to something else which will enable the proper 5.1 transmission. The menu options are very limited in my Denon 550Bt, I couldnt find the option to change this. I am completely new to this world, and my apologies for my ignorance.

I appreciate all the folks who are seriously respecting and showing willingness to help others, Happy to be a part of the forum.

Attachments

• sound_stereo.png
    sound_stereo.png
    477.7 KB · Views: 10
Adding Confusion to the above observations, the moment I enter the "advance audio settings of the TV, this message from the AVR also comes in the background saying SOUND-STEREO , I couldnt find where to change this Sound-Stereo in AVR to something else which will enable the proper 5.1 transmission. The menu options are very limited in my Denon 550Bt, I couldnt find the option to change this. I am completely new to this world, and my apologies for my ignorance.

I appreciate all the folks who are seriously respecting and showing willingness to help others, Happy to be a part of the forum.
There is "Sound Mode" option with a left, right arrow buttons on the remote. Play a DD 5.1 film on prime/netflix on the TV, switch on the AVR and then use these buttons and see if you could get AVR into DD mode.
Also update the firmware on both TV and AVR if there are any pending updates.

There is "Sound Mode" option with a left, right arrow buttons on the remote. Play a DD 5.1 film on prime/netflix on the TV, switch on the AVR and then use these buttons and see if you could get AVR into DD mode.
Also update the firmware on both TV and AVR if there are any pending updates.
Thank you Kumar, I was able to go into DD after I updated the firmware. I played 5.1 on Netflix and in sound selection option in remote I was able to select DD. Guess the problem is solved.

The one problem which remains unsolved is playing a 5.1 channel in youtube (with DPL in AVR) and not getting the rear left and rear right properly.

and guess I need not buy a fire stick 4k :), saved 3500rs(offer price)

Thank you Kumar, I was able to go into DD after I updated the firmware. I played 5.1 on Netflix and in sound selection option in remote I was able to select DD. Guess the problem is solved.

The one problem which remains unsolved is playing a 5.1 channel in youtube (with DPL in AVR) and not getting the rear left and rear right properly.

Wow. Good to know that problem solved.
YouTube doesn’t play in 5.1, still in stereo. You can use surround modes in AVR to get 5.1

Buy a Beer to Kumar... I can also join.. ;););)

Hello Everyone,

I got that DD option now , but the sound output and quality is way better in Multi Ch Stereo mode than the DD, is this normal? also I need to pump up the volume to way upto 80 to have some decent sound effects, whereas in Multi Ch stereo I get good sound effects in 60 itself.

Now coming back to the same question I had asked earlier, if I get a firestick and connect to the AVR directly, will it give better sound quality? If I want to play downloaded 4k movies, what is the best way to get good sound? Because now when I connect the pendrive to TV and directly play, the 4k picture quality is good, but the sound is very average.

However if I play songs via USB in 320 kbps, the sound quality is too good and very crisp and the bass is also tight. I would say I can feel the real quality of my setup only when I listen to music directly via USB.

Please advice would a fire stick solve this problem? how does Mi Box 4k perform in this area if I also plan to play 4k movies via Pen Drive?

My speakers are Taga Harmony 606 SE, Sub is Taga 90 TSW , AVR is Denon 550BT.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back