Streaming over USB - PC to USB capable DVD player

anm

Hi,
I have a philips 5996 that can play video and audio files off a USB hard disk.
Some times I want to play files on my windows XP laptop, without copying the stuff to my external hard disk connected to the DVD player.
Is there a way I can "stream" (not sure if this is the correct term) audio/ video over USB from my laptop to this DVD player?
I kind of know it is possible. I can connect my sony Ericsson phone using USB to the DVD player. Phone switches to file transfer mode. Then I select a music file on phone and start "transferring" it to the DVD player. DVD player/ AVR plays the music very well. I listened to "Hotel California" and I enjoyed playing music from my cell phone, without buying any pod or pod-dock.

There are other alternatives that are not suitable
1. set up streaming server over ethernet/ wifi - do not have a compatible player.
2. output video from laptop using dvi/ s-video and audio (stereo) from the sound card. Would not get surround sound etc. Since my dvd player is connected to the AVR via coaxial, audio decoding happens in the AVR which MAY be better than my laptop's DAC.

regards

I have a philips 5996 that can play video and audio files off a USB hard disk. Some times I want to play files on my windows XP laptop, without copying the stuff to my external hard disk connected to the DVD player. Is there a way I can "stream" (not sure if this is the correct term) audio/ video over USB from my laptop to this DVD player?

To stream data from one device to another, you need to have the two devices to be compatible with each other. In other words, you have to have a software running at both ends. When one ends 'streams' the data, the compatible software set up a handshaking mode, accepts the data and converts, if needed, to be used on the other device. It could at times even trigger other programs.

When you buy a mobile phone, it usually comes with a CD that you install on your PC or laptop. This software sets up the handshaking mode between the devices and also the software to exchange data.

A DVD player, on the other hand, is a dead device so to speak. All the software that is needed to play DVDs or data from USB devices are already installed in ROM devices. You cannot install additional software nor can you modify the software. Modern DVDs also have small read/write memories that are used for upgradation and carrying codecs and other variable data. This information is checked by the inbuilt software, more as data, than as something that will change their core behaviour.

Cheers

Hi Venkat, how are you.
When I used mobile to send file to dvd player, it was done directly, without any software/ computer in between the two.
However, when I connect the dvd player directly to computer, it doesn't recognize it.

Thanks Cranky. Forgot to use the terms - Host and Slave. Have been out of touch with Networking for a long time, and too lazy to go back to my notes or books.

Cheers.

Does that mean that the 5996 or the Pio 410V, when connected to a hard disk drive through the USB, cannot play content on the HArd Drive.
In other words we cant browse the media files in the Hard Disk Drive through the DVD player, choose a media and then play the file??

Does that mean that the 5996 or the Pio 410V, when connected to a hard disk drive through the USB, cannot play content on the HArd Drive. In other words we cant browse the media files in the Hard Disk Drive through the DVD player, choose a media and then play the file??

As Cranky has said above, the DVD Player is a Host, and a HD Drive is always a slave. DVD Players that have USB connection have software inbuilt to read files from a USB device including a HDD. You will be able to see the directories and the files inside. The players also have software to play some of the media files on your HDD.

How many sub directories and how many files varies from one DVD Player to another. There are also some restrictions on file systems such as NTFS, FAT etc. You have to read the individual player manual for more details. Also check the following link where various DVD Players have been discussed in detail by knowledgeable members.

http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/1692-best-dvd-player-iwth-usb.html

Cheers

We can, and I am doing that with my 250GB external powered hard disk.
My issue is I have to first copy files downloaded from my comp to this hard disk. Instead of that if I could connect laptop to dvd player directly, so that dvd player can browse my laptop's hard disk - or laptop could selectively expose files over USB.

regards
Anant

Does that mean that the 5996 or the Pio 410V, when connected to a hard disk drive through the USB, cannot play content on the HArd Drive.
In other words we cant browse the media files in the Hard Disk Drive through the DVD player, choose a media and then play the file??

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back