Stroboscope??

mahiruha

Hello guys,
somebody was telling me that there used to be a particular type of turntable called stroboscope. Does any of you have any experience with these? I tried to look in the net but couldn't find anything meaningful.
Thanks.

a stroboscope is the dots the platter of a technics turntable. you also get independent discs with markings on them for 33, 45 or 78 speeds. you shine a special quartz based light on them and the right speed marks appear stationery on the platter. used to check speed or adjust speed where speed can be adjusted. check for stroboscope on kabusa.com or on vinyl engine.

regards

mahiruha,

we've got youtube blocked at office so no idea what the video is! :D but i think that's it. judging from the title, dots...

regards

Sonodyne used to make TT's with strobes. I see them still available (though not in great condition) on Wellesley & Dhramtalla Street.

By the way, a strobe is a must have tool for ANYONE who cares about vinyl. Getting the exact 33.3 and 45rpm speeds is a must. If the speeds are not spot on, you can really mess up the pitch of notes. A C minor can sound like a C flat etc.

I highly recommend you get either the KAB strobe disc or a digistrobo (one I use) to keep checking every month or two. Keeps things running spot on and perfect tone from your turntable.

By the way, a strobe is a must have tool for ANYONE who cares about vinyl. Getting the exact 33.3 and 45rpm speeds is a must. If the speeds are not spot on, you can really mess up the pitch of notes. A C minor can sound like a C flat etc.

I highly recommend you get either the KAB strobe disc or a digistrobo (one I use) to keep checking every month or two. Keeps things running spot on and perfect tone from your turntable.

i doubt an out of speed table can make a c minor sound like a c flat but it may make it sound like a c#minor or an b minor :)

Hello Shaizada,
lets say if I find with some tools that my project debut 3 is revolving at 32.9 rpm what to do in that case to make it 33. I don't see any button for speed control. Do you have any precise speed control mechanism in ur machine.
thnaks.

My friend, getting the exact right speed is very critical to extracting a quality and dependable signal from vinyl. I think its a absolute must.

mahiruha,

in case of tables that have separate motor pods with belts running from them to around the platter, you could probably move the motor pod and adjust the distance from the table. in case of the debut 3, probably clean the belt. your speed ought to be correct with a speed controller, a small box made by project, some 6k.

regards

Hello Shaizada,
lets say if I find with some tools that my project debut 3 is revolving at 32.9 rpm what to do in that case to make it 33. I don't see any button for speed control. Do you have any precise speed control mechanism in ur machine.
thnaks.

If your turntable has no provision for speed control, you should look into purchasing a speed controller. For the project debut 3, you can purchase this:
Pro-Ject Speedbox Mk2 >> Pro-Ject Speedbox Mk2 Turntable Power Supply

My turntable comes with a very special speed controller box called the VPI Synchronous Drive System (SDS):

HW-SDS-Large.jpg

VPI SDS SYNCHRONOUS DRIVE SYSTEM - elusivedisc

It lets me adjust speed in increments of 1/100 of a Hertz.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back