Stuck between Marantz NR1508, Denon AVR 1400H and Yamaha 583

spycatcher

Hi time to invest in my first Home Theatre setup.

1. Plan for now is invest in an AVR first and hook it to a simple Marshall speaker (Woburn) immediately. Next 2-3 months will expand to a 2.1 setup maybe with Q-Acoustics 2010s. Will invest in a proper 5.1 speaker setup but at a later stage since I plan to shift residences in next 5-6 months.
2. Source will be DVD (Tons of Classic Movies) and Apple TV.
3. Room Size is approx 14 X 12.

Price range is almost similar for all 3 except the big difference is that
a) Marantz does not come with with Dolby Atmos.
b) It's a simple 5.2 setup v/s 7.1 setup for other 2.

Priority is movie/TV experience over Audio as I have a separate Marantz PM 7001 KI/Monitor Audio BR 5/Marantz CDP 6002 - setup for that.

> Given the same price point which ones would you suggest?
> Will I miss Dolby Atmos so much ?
> Should I buy max features in the price or go with more refined sound.

Many thanks for your help.

Ravi

Hi

There are dedicated Yamaha / MArantz and Denon threads where existing users have posted their experience and challenges...suggest you read through that...

If i were you...would audition all 3 then compare their specs, looks, performance and connectivity options and what suits my requirement...accordingly then would take a call.

If more inclined towards movies and you already have a Marantx, then possibly you can look at the Denon or Yamaha.....most have positives about Yamaha....i am a Marantz user and is very happy with this brand for all requirements over past 5 years now....

In terms of speakers, you can add the fronts for now then the sub then the center and finally the surrounds....

Dolby Atmos is slowly picking up and more content is being available now over the last 2 years +....for me not much of a difference as a 7.1 would give almost the same effects...thats my opinion....

Dont rush...plenty of dealers out there check everything and make a proper decision....all the best

> Given the same price point which ones would you suggest?

Denon..

> Will I miss Dolby Atmos so much ?
Good to have..There are Atmos content aval.. But since you said you have lot of DVD content, a Dolby Atmos 7.1 AVR can enhance the regular 5.1 movies using Neural X / Dolby surround upmixer to height channels..

> Should I buy max features in the price or go with more refined sound.

Audyssey Multi EQ XT capability is good to have feature..

Depending on ur connectivity requirements and features you wish to have on the AVR....go for that brand and model....audition is key and please make time to do so......Every brand and model comes at a certain price....check for comparative and competitive pricing among dealers and online portals...including warranty options....

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back