Studio Monitor Tannoy Reveal 6 as bedroom speaker

AMITNOIDA

Hi

I had taken an audition of Tannoy Reveal 6 Bookshelf Studio monitors pairing with Sir Viren's Valve Amp (SET). Performance and drivability of the speaker was good and effortless. But I am hesitating it to select as my bedroom speakers due to its revealing and clinical performance.
Has anybody selected ever a studio monitor for use in home and specially keeping in view the long listening situation. Need your opinion and advise.

Thanks
Amit

Hey! Amit i'm self using a tannoy sytem 1200 studio monitors & i'm happy with them.
I aslo know a lot of people using the reveal 6. Some people love the details where as some like more warmth.But it all comes to personal prefrence. So give them a long listen & take a call for your self.
All the best
Cheers

hi,
havent heard these but have studio monitor which i use at home. the basic thing about these monitors are they are very revealing and detailed and are very flat. they take EQ very well (which they do in studio)unlike other home audio. what you need to do is pick up a very musical cdp and the rest will flow. tweak the bass and high on the amp if necessary and you will enjoy the music.

Thanks Neo for not rejecting studio monitor for home use. Frankly, I was quite impressed with Tannoy Reveal 6's detailing. I have to listen once more for longer time.

Thanks Gun for your encouraging posting. I will use my PC with Asus Xonar sound card (Flac file) and plan to use Valve amp. SO musical CDp may not be possible. During audition Sir Viren used Marantz CDp and it was sounding good.

Of course one alternate is to go for PSB Image B25. It has also good sensitivity of 89-90 and hope it will pair well with Sir Viren's SET valve amp. The only problem is the PSB is in Mumbai and Sir Viren's amp is in Delhi. Has anybody any experience in listening PSB B25 pairing with valve amp?

Thanks

Hey! Amit what SET did you try the Reveal 6 with? As i've heard the spk with 2A3 & i felt it needed more power.

@guns what studio monitor do you use? What is your rest of your set up?

All the best
Cheers

:D I didn't know Viren had been knighted?

no offence meant at all, and it's not personal, but i couldn't pass up the opportunity to crack that one.

Psychotropic, 'Sir' is used before Viren's name out of my respect to him. He is much senior to me (I am 53 yrs) and we both are Chemical engineers. Any way thank you for cracking it. It was definitely a good humour from you.:lol:

Hey! Amit what SET did you try the Reveal 6 with? As i've heard the spk with 2A3 & i felt it needed more power.

All the best
Cheers

Neo, I am not sure about the model no. but it was of 15 W per channel and Tannoy Reveal 6 was driven easily.

All the best
Cheers

Hi neo,
monitors are JBL LSR6332, preamp is Audiolab 8000c, power amps are 2 Rotel rb980bx vertically passive bi-amped. looking for a good source to complete the system.
Please suggest some nice cdps within 25k for the above setup.

Cheers

@amit i guess it must be an EL84. Have you tried the other push-pull amps? What is the kind of music you listen to?

@ Guns i would say a nad 545bee or if you can strech your self an arcam cd17 you can also think of an used arcam if you are comfortable with buying a used cdp. A marantz cdp should also be given a listen.

All the best
Cheers

@amit i guess it must be an EL84. Have you tried the other push-pull amps? What is the kind of music you listen to?

All the best
Cheers

@Neo it was Lyrita 6C33C SET amplifier of 15 W per channel.

Please excuse me, I am not much conversant with the various genre of music. But I listen to Dire Straits, Carpenter, Pink Floyd, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Lionel Richie, Cohen, Katie Melua, Heartfelt, Supertramp, Vienna Teng,Eagles, Beegees, Celine Dion, Roy Orbison, Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall, Fleetwood Mac etc., Fusion Music (Rhythmspace, Fusion Yatra, Anandashankar, Making Music, Confluence etc.) and off course Lata Mangeskar.

I am looking for good recorded CDs of Tagore songs (Rabindrasangeet) of Debebrata Biswas, Hemanta Bandopadhyay, Kanika Bandopadhyay, Suchitra Mitra, Sumitra Sen, Sagar Sen, Srikanta Acharya etc. But for that I may have to go to Kolkata. I could not find any good online store for Tagore songs CDs.

I shall visit Mumbai on 30/07/09 for official jobs. I have a plan to take audition of PSB Bookshelf speakers at Lakozy. They have valve amps and I will try PSB pairing with valve amps. Do you have any experience of PSB B.S. with valve amps?

Cheers

i bought definitive technology studio monitors from mahendra associates in bangalore. they are the dealers for definitive tech in bangalore. they also have an office in delhi. contact their regional manager balaji ramachandran who is based in bangalore. phone- 09343828522. e-mail: [email protected] they are also dealers of psb speakers.

Back