Sub 10K 2.1 computer speakersMusic only

siddjazz

There are numerous posts in the forum talking about the ideal speaker for music, movies and gaming. To sum it all up, the MX5021 seems to be an all time favorite, followed by the corsair and the promedia.
Contrary popular usage, my need is only music. Sure I watch movies (a lot actually), but I prefer using headphones for crisp sound. I listen to a lot of music from John Mayer and BB King to The Doors, Kings of Leon, AC/DC, Metallica, a lot of power metal and stuff like Opeth, Porcupine tree and POS. I barely listen to any electronic or dance music. Maybe some drum n bass like Pendulum and some Dubstep.

Basically I need a speaker with a wide frequency reproduction range.
Volume is not a concern as I have a small room and I don't enjoy loud music anyway. Now I have an old Altec Lansing VS4121, which are pretty good speaker IMO. I usually tweak the digital EQ to highlight frequencies I want to hear and they do a pretty good job. All the science apart, the sound is never right! I feel some instruments are being held back, dubbed down or just too soft to be heard.
Technically, I did a very quick frequency test from here, and figured out the prominent and subdued frequency response of the system; and then i would merely EQ those frequencies and make do with. But enough is enough, I deserve better sound!!!

I have upped my budget and decided to get a new 2.1/2.0 system. I have never personally used 2.0 systems so I am not confident on the low/mid-bass reproduction.
I have been highly inclined towards Edifiers off late. They seem to have superior build quality and well balanced bass and satellite units.

If you got through reading all of this, do you have any recommendations??? Thank you soooo much!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back