Sub 75k speakers in the market today for a balanced but dynamic sound

I have contemplated it. However, the Quad S5s weigh approx 28 kgs each and not conducive to being handled by a lone person due to their shape. I’ll have to find that jobless friend to help out :p... however, i do expect the bass response and other elements to improve as all my other bookshelves including the BA A26 benefit immensely from being placed in this secondary position.

Very interesting. Would be interesting to see if you have a suckout happening at that position under 60 hz. Your observation with the sub in the same location pretty much corroborates it.

Those dedicated bass drivers and passive radiators for bass in the Quad should theoretically play much better bass. Maybe you should try them in the same location where you have the Q350's located now to test this out.

So i just measured the q350 and the initial suspicion that bass frequencies between 40 and 60hz being sucked out is confirmed as it shows the same sharp roll off at 60hz but picks up again at 40hz. However, while the response is near identical at 60hz, the difference is nearly 14db at 40 hz which means that the kef q350s dip deeper much more effectively than the S5s irrespective of the suckout. However, it seems mid bass punch of the Quad S5 is better, quite opposite to the initial suspicion that it'd be the Q350s being better in this respect.

Q350 vs S5.jpg

So i just measured the q350 and the initial suspicion that bass frequencies between 40 and 60hz being sucked out is confirmed as it shows the same sharp roll off at 60hz but picks up again at 40hz. However, while the response is near identical at 60hz, the difference is nearly 14db at 40 hz which means that the kef q350s dip deeper much more effectively than the S5s irrespective of the suckout. However, it seems mid bass punch of the Quad S5 is better, quite opposite to the initial suspicion that it'd be the Q350s being better in this respect.

View attachment 50525
Does this not depend on the room characteristics more than the speakers?

Does this not depend on the room characteristics more than the speakers?
Except for the speakers, every other variable was identical (including positioning). if you track the graph, it shows the same peaks and troughs where the room modes kick in. For now, i'm assuming that the differential in the bass response where the peaks and troughs vary between the two speakers is more akin to their natural response. I'll measure the Evo 4.2s next in the very same position and then measure the Q350s and Evos in the secondary position and average the responses for the two positions respectively to see whether there is any correlation.

Any other suggestions for taking the room out of the equation are most welcome! :)

Except for the speakers, every other variable was identical (including positioning). if you track the graph, it shows the same peaks and troughs where the room modes kick in. For now, i'm assuming that the differential in the bass response where the peaks and troughs vary between the two speakers is more akin to their natural response. I'll measure the Evo 4.2s next in the very same position and then measure the Q350s and Evos in the secondary position and average the responses for the two positions respectively to see whether there is any correlation.

Any other suggestions for taking the room out of the equation are most welcome! :)
Hmmm. How much of smoothening is done?

Smoothening?
I was referring to the graph bro..
So you have these options for smoothening.. else it usually looks quite jumbled :)
The 2nd one is the room response at my place.

Attachments

• Rev.jpeg
    Rev.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 13
  • Rev 1.jpeg
    Rev 1.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 13
I was referring to the graph bro..
So you have these options for smoothening.. else it usually looks quite jumbled :)
The 2nd one is the room response at my place.
Please Pardon my ignorance. Is that the reason why my frequency response above 1khz looks horrific (will post pics soon). My graph was without smoothening.

Also, How much smoothening should i apply?

Today is the second instance of trying REW and Im still trying to wrap my head around what I'm looking at and need to do. Will have to do some serious reading up...

Last edited:
Please Pardon my ignorance. Is that the reason why my frequency response above 1khz looks horrific (will post pics soon). My graph was without smoothening.

Also, How much smoothening should i apply?

Today is the second instance of trying REW and Im still trying to wrap my head around what I'm looking at and need to do. Will have to do some serious reading up...
Try 1/6 bro. ctrl + shift + 6

An update. My friend finally chose a Rega brio and the Q acoustics 3050i. End of the day, it boiled down to personal taste. All the speakers in the race were very good at their price points.

In the end there is no Best choice..only many good choices based on personal expectations !

Did you get a chance to hear it ? Curious on your experience.

In the end there is no Best choice..only many good choices based on personal expectations !

Did you get a chance to hear it ? Curious on your experience.
I am planning to go and hear at my friend's home in a week or so. I will keep you updated. I have never heard the 3050i. I heard the Rega brio paired with couple of other speakers though when we made the rounds recently. Good tone. Does a lot of things right for the price point. Balanced sound. Ever so slightly on the warmish side without making it a " warm sounding amp ". Good pace and timing. Good choice of attributes for the price point.

I am planning to go and hear at my friend's home in a week or so. I will keep you updated. I have never heard the 3050i. I heard the Rega brio paired with couple of other speakers though when we made the rounds recently. Good tone. Does a lot of things right for the price point. Balanced sound. Ever so slightly on the warmish side without making it a " warm sounding amp ". Good pace and timing. Good choice of attributes for the price point.
Do let us know your take on the speakers. I am also planning to upgrade my speakers from wharfedale diamond 11.4 to something more versatile due to recent issues I have been facing in my listening experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back