Sub for KEF LS 50

View attachment 36666

Listened to all the peers here , many many thanks for all the guidance and pls continue to enlighten me on any blunders I may commit on my audio audessey.
Removed the Sony speakers and only connected the kefs.getting used to them and falling in love with them more and more.its kinda slowly showing why it's such a respected speaker.

Looking at this picture and the way you have setup the system, it reminds me of an old friend to whom I recommended a certain dynaudio bookshelf speaker many years ago. He got them along with his sony avr and 5 polk hometheatre satellite speakers and subwoofer when he relocated to bangalore from the US. From the onset I had told him to buy an integrated amp and a pair of stands but he never listened. For the next ten years I watched him wrestle with the dynaudios trying to integrate them ( and the 2 channel stereo concept ) into his hometheatre. He always had them inside his entertainment rack on the shelf. You turned them on and shelf vibrated and sang along with the speakers. No soundstage. And he always used to say that he is not getting that “ sophisticated sound “ which he heard at the US dealer. And then out of the blue he bought a large polk subwoofer to replace the one that came with the hometheatre. The boom increased adding to the misery. He then asked me if he should buy a power amp to improve the sound #!$ ?? All of this without moving the dynaudios onto a decent stand or investing in a decent source for flac playback. That system always sounded like a truckload of mud to me.

There are fundamental problems with your music system setup which you need to solve before you go into subjects like seamless subwoofer integration. Low distortion and reasonably good response across the frequency spectrum are primary goals. Along with a good source.

If the goal is to get a balanced presentation with low distortion, then the steps below should be your priority.

1. Get a pair of speaker stands and place the speakers on it. Move the stands at least 2 feet into the room.
  2. Get an integrated amp and decent pair of speaker wires.
  3. Fine tune speaker setup by playing around with placement until you get an even response that is a good balance between bass response and sound staging.
  4. Make sure your music source is good.

If you cannot do the above steps due to WAF or different priorities, you are better off with a satellite / subwoofer system that allows you to keep the main speakers on shelfs, walls etc. Good example below.

https://galloacoustics.com/

But I don’t know your goals with this system. Can you elucidate why you bought the KEFs ? What about your existing music system did you want to improve upon ? Many of us out here are purist audiophiles. You will hear a lot us talking about best practices for achieving the purest sound possible. But we don't know what you are after.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm running a pair of KEF R300 out of Exposure 2010s2.. and recently added a REL T/5i (sealed version; bottom end of new T/i series); the difference is great when I switched the sub on for the first time; improved when I adjusted the volume and cross over, and excellent when I further fine-tuned and moved position (of both speakers and sub) a bit.. still feel that I can fine-tune it further.. so far, its a great investment.

I was a pure 2 channel stereo person, but adding REL subs made a HUGE difference.. i love the high level inputs of REL - and of-course the LFE/RCA is a great help when you have only one sub to do both stereo duty as well as movies.. it has separate volume controllers for both..

I would STRONGLY suggest you to have a listen with REL subs.

Thanks,
Noble

Hi All,

I'm running a pair of KEF R300 out of Exposure 2010s2.. and recently added a REL T/5i (sealed version; bottom end of new T/i series); the difference is great when I switched the sub on for the first time; improved when I adjusted the volume and cross over, and excellent when I further fine-tuned and moved position (of both speakers and sub) a bit.. still feel that I can fine-tune it further.. so far, its a great investment.

I was a pure 2 channel stereo person, but adding REL subs made a HUGE difference.. i love the high level inputs of REL - and of-course the LFE/RCA is a great help when you have only one sub to do both stereo duty as well as movies.. it has separate volume controllers for both..

I would STRONGLY suggest you to have a listen with REL subs.

Thanks,
Noble
Aha
My hunt is closing in
I have the same set of speakers and would love to hear your system
Will PM you to check if I can visit your home.
Cheers,
Raghu

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back