Sub for KEF LS 50

RAJUSH26

Hello friends ,Got KEF LS 50 for GRT deal at Taiwan.
Pls suggest sub for these speakers.
I have a yam rx-v 479 Amp.
Also how to get the best out of these speakers .
Brgds sushil

I'm guessing you've bought them for stereo/music purposes, if that's the case I'd recommend an REL T5 (or Sumiko S5). They're the fastest subwoofers out there, and while they may not be the deepest bass, they'll blend beautifully with your speakers for music.

Traditional subwoofer wise, an Emotiva Basx S10 or an SVS SB 1000 on the higher end.

Brgds sushil
How does the LS50 pair with your AVR?
Are you missing punch?
LS50s are great speakers if one is looking for honest to God presentation.
But they can get a bit too truthful about the quality of content, if you know what I mean.
Subs are a good addition when you want to shore up the bass.
But check just the 2.0 first and figure out what you need.

Cheers,
Raghu

Brgds sushil
Minimum impedance of ls50 is 3.2 ohm
You need good power to get good bass from it.

Rajush, you might have already paid a fortune for that speaker. It is designed for music, and is very well praised for its performance. For music, don't use a sub woofer. The LS 50 will take care of the lows also. The best thing you can do is change that AVR with a dedicated stereo amplifier (a good one, because LS 50 deserves a good one). AV receivers are awful for music. Good luck.
Any good stereo amplifier in mind

Brgds sushil
Did you try moving the speaker stands closer to the front wall? Keep moving it as close as possible and see if bass improves, without too much of a collapse in soundstage.

LS50 specs show it's 79Hz-28kHz (+-3dB), so you might need a sub. Also as suggested by FMs a good stereo amp will be better than the AVR

Friends from your valuable inputs I gather that the KEF's are not good for movie watching, is it that bad ...

Friends from your valuable inputs I gather that the KEF's are not good for movie watching, is it that bad ...
If you don't care about surround effects, KEFs can be used in 2.0 or 2.1 configuration for Home theatre and music, using a stereo amp. The strong center image can substitute the need for a separate center speaker. KEFs I have [Q300 & 500] are excellent in mids and highs, not so with low end. But as a personal preference I don't like too much bass, so that was OK. The LS50 are flagship speakers, so should be much better than what I have.

LS50s should work well for movies with a sub.
Most folks who buy these use them for dedicated 2-channel purpose.
Yes they are a bit bass shy (80Hz I think)
When I heard them out, it did not feel lean though.
It was paired with a Denon Integrated Amp (can do better than this)
Cheers,
Raghu

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back