Sub woofer floor/door rattling

kishanvkumar

Friends,
After the near perfect matching HT gear, running into the rattling issues from Velodynes :). They do come with a rubber feet. For the bass heavy scenes, the main door rattles a lot. This is an apartment, the flat below are our neighbours and just went in and tested, should say, the floor rattling is pretty audible and boominess is uncomfortable. Not yet heard windows rattling, they are covered with curtains. At least good that was pro active rather than receiving complaints :).

Will be buying a thick carpet of 4ft by 6ft. Its a marble floor and not sure how much it will help. Placed a bath mat under the woofer, did not reduce the rattle even a little. What are the options? Forum has lot of high end HT gear and not all have separate HT rooms i guess :). What is being used to muffle the rumbling?

If there are many threads discussing these, please point to them.

It will be a issue to the point that, unless the main door rattle and flat below booms are muffled, can listen to any blu ray effects :(. Looking for some help here.

Thanks.

My rattling problems reduced a lot after i changed placement of my subwoofer. After the advice on this forum, i moved my sub to the center of the front wall (earlier it used to be in a corner). Now the punch remains but the rattles are reduced to a large extent. Try it.
But the purpose of subwoofer is to pound you with raw sound energy and as such it will unleash a lot of low freq sound that can be "felt" more than it can be "heard". So i guess you should start thinking about sound proofing, sound isolation etc.

Last edited:
reduce subwoofer volume level..or call the neighbors over when you play movies..:)

mpw

My rattling problems reduced a lot after i changed placement of my subwoofer. After the advice on this forum, i moved my sub to the center of the front wall (earlier it used to be in a corner). Now the punch remains but the rattles are reduced to a large extent. Try it.
But the purpose of subwoofer is to pound you with raw sound energy and as such it will unleash a lot of low freq sound that can be "felt" more than it can be "heard". So i guess you should start thinking about sound proofing, sound isolation etc.

Hi sash,
Are you getting the same punch after placing at center? My sub manual suggests to place sub in corner for better performance. But when I keep at corner even I face boominess and door is also making lot of sound.Just wondering what should be the ideal position, I know we need to do the crawl and check, but that method looks bit complicated for me.:mad:

Hi sash,
Are you getting the same punch after placing at center? My sub manual suggests to place sub in corner for better performance. But when I keep at corner even I face boominess and door is also making lot of sound.Just wondering what should be the ideal position, I know we need to do the crawl and check, but that method looks bit complicated for me.:mad:

I have placed it now on the side along the wall, instead of the corner. The door rattling seems to have reduced. Will try out putting it on the middle on the front wall. Not sure though on any difference on the flat below. Need to check out.

I can understand door rattling and booming sound getting transmitted.

But I doubt if a concrete slab floor can actually rattle

See if adding a second bolt at the bottom of the door helps. Why not throw in a heavy curtain?

Re: Sub woofer floor/door rattling(loud rumble)

Having more queries on this. When I play bollywood tracks and other regional tracks (from itunes) the bass is tight and good to hear and adds to the overall listening experience.

I was just trying with more types of music, and while trying to play some bass heavy tracks (Bass I love you song), the woofer gives a loud rumble, over powers the speakers and quite unpleasant to listen. Is this also due to less damping? or I should look at some settings/callibration again?.

Yes you need some calibration and try some heavy thick carpet under the subwoofer(only for testing) and see if it makes some difference..actually the frequency of Bass is resonance frequency of your door, thats why it is rattling.It is not the case with windows. So while playing cover the door with heavy curtain.

By the way if you watch 3D movie..the door rattling would make it 4D experience:)

I had faced door and glass pane rattling in my previous rented house (before I moved to my own one). Rather than move my speakers around, I identified the rattling doors and panes and had them fixed. Floating glass panes is a huge headache but an easy fix.

I had faced door and glass pane rattling in my previous rented house (before I moved to my own one). Rather than move my speakers around, I identified the rattling doors and panes and had them fixed. Floating glass panes is a huge headache but an easy fix.

Thanks. Could you elaborate on fixing the rattling doors. Meaning they are loosely fitted and had to be tightening. In my case it is the main door and feels pretty sturdy :)

Even i have the same problem of rattling. Please give me a solution to overcome this. ThankYou.
Please give me a solotion.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back