Sub Woofer HELP !!

I have heard bic america f12 and it was damn impressive. I was seriously amazed by the performance. My polk psw110 does not compare to it. For music the bic wasnt as impressive and felt like psw110 which i use is much much better. The main use of subwoofer is lfe and so i would say bic really stands out. I heard it @whathifishow2015. Not heard velodyne and so cannot compare them

I have heard bic america f12 and it was damn impressive. I was seriously amazed by the performance. My polk psw110 does not compare to it. For music the bic wasnt as impressive and felt like psw110 which i use is much much better. The main use of subwoofer is lfe and so i would say bic really stands out. I heard it @whathifishow2015. Not heard velodyne and so cannot compare them

Hmmm Amazon.in if offering BIC for 33K roughly and if i opt for it from Amazon.in then what would be the scenario with warranty/service?

I am also in market for Subwoofer. In day to day real situation in case of music, movies what is the low level that low frequency goes? Will it be sufficient if one goes for Subwoofer having lowest frequency of 30 hz?
I am looking for Subwoofer around 20k. Is the budget sufficient? My usage on weekdays shall be Tata sky HD abd SD channels mostly and on weekends music and movies. My living room is 9x18x9. I have to place the Subwoofer away from AVR because there shall be no place if I make wall unit along width where main door also opens. Since Subwoofer is felt not heard so not required to be placed near my 50 in plasma I suppose.

Who said subwoofer is only felt and not heard???
The tactile experience only kicks in at low frequencies and at high volume (assuming your sub is 12" and above)

You could look at ported subs which will be cheaper than sealed subs and go lower in the frequency range. The sound quality will be a bit lower though [emoji2]

If you like boomy bass, place the sub near corners

Who said subwoofer is only felt and not heard???
The tactile experience only kicks in at low frequencies and at high volume (assuming your sub is 12" and above)

You could look at ported subs which will be cheaper than sealed subs and go lower in the frequency range. The sound quality will be a bit lower though [emoji2]

If you like boomy bass, place the sub near corners

No not boomy, i want tight chest hitting bass and the vibrations that could shiver my body my couch. Is it true that a 10 inch would hit harder then 12 inch sub? And if no, is it a good move and huge performance gain if i get SVS PB 1000 instead of velodyne impact 12? (difference of around 10K)

Hi
Wharfdale Subwoofer SW150 and sealed SPC10 similar in specs. SPC costs around 6k more. Is sealed better than ported sub? I have not auditioned either.

Thanks everyone for the help, finally i decided to wait and arrange more funds rather then compromising on quality and buying Impact 12 now, i decided to wait and rather buy SVS PB-1000 (10 inch) As per the reviews its even better then 12 inch subs out there :). Now if anyone know where i can get it in Chandigarh/Mohali area i will be really thankful or i have to go to delhi to buy.

Your room dimensions are exact multiples which is not good for sound quality. It might be a good idea to get some expert help in this.
Yes. The room dimensions are odd. In such case will sealed subwoofer be better than ported one? Because i can create tight space for subwoofer and little distance from wall behind.

Yes. The room dimensions are odd. In such case will sealed subwoofer be better than ported one? Because i can create tight space for subwoofer and little distance from wall behind.
Sorry, I'm no expert or experienced enough to advice. Some others would definitely chip in

A subwoofer is designed to have significantly larger cone diameter for a very good reason.

Bigger the cone, more air it moves and thus makes better bass (all other things being the same)

Room shape and design will not affect too much the choosing of ported vs sealed sub.

A ported sub will have ability to reach deeper down in the spectrum but at some point or the other, port cuffing will happen and distortion will result.
On the other hand, a sealed sub will not reach as much down but the bass will be tight.

If you want chest thumping bass, go for atleast 12" sealed drivers.

Consider going for 2 subs of 12" of good model. This will ensure you get even spread of the bass across the listening location and reduce standing waves.

All the best

Thanks Rastapopulus for clarification.
This is what i got reply from SVS website regarding the same. " Ported subs offer more low-end grunt and tactile feel thanks to their larger ported cabinets, mostly noticeable on movies and gaming. Sealed subs are a bit tighter and faster thanks to their sealed cabinets, mostly noticeable on music. The musical difference is not night and day, as our ported subs offer excellent transient response despite what most folks will say about ported subs and their musicality. The biggest difference you'll notice between the two is the home theater performance advantage of the ported subs. Hope that helps!"
So i can place front firing and front ported SVS sub near the wall (at back and/or side) and tv unit. But can i do the same in case of front firing and rear/side ported sub or downfiring sub?

A subwoofer is designed to have significantly larger cone diameter for a very good reason.

Bigger the cone, more air it moves and thus makes better bass (all other things being the same)

Room shape and design will not affect too much the choosing of ported vs sealed sub.

A ported sub will have ability to reach deeper down in the spectrum but at some point or the other, port cuffing will happen and distortion will result.
On the other hand, a sealed sub will not reach as much down but the bass will be tight.

If you want chest thumping bass, go for atleast 12" sealed drivers.

Consider going for 2 subs of 12" of good model. This will ensure you get even spread of the bass across the listening location and reduce standing waves.

All the best

But isn't SVS PB-1000 (10 inch) better option then Velodyne Impact 12 (12 inch), just wondering .. :|

Subwoofer placement

As long as the crossover on the sub or your reciever is set to <80hz, the sub can be placed front or back or side and you will not notice where the subwoofer is kept.

However, placing the sub close to walls (especially corners) will give you boundary gain (reinforce the bass).
This can make the sound boomy.

Try placing the subwoofer around 10" from front wall and see how it goes.
I have never seen a back ported sub yet. I guess it will make positioning tricky.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back