sub-woofer

ramnikchhabra

Hi Everyone.
I have a 7.0 set up using B&W 603 S3 Floor standers and 602 surrounds. The center is also a B&W (dont remember the model no but it matches with 603s).
This is connected to a Cambridge Audio DVD player and Harmon Kardon Amp.
My living room size is approx 20 x 20 ft i.e 400 ft.
Can you please suggest a sub-woofer in the 35 to 50 k range to go with this?

Check out models from these brands in your budget ..... REL, SUNFIRE, VELODYNE ..... These brands are well-known for subwoofers.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Hi Everyone.
I have a 7.0 set up using B&W 603 S3 Floor standers and 602 surrounds. The center is also a B&W (dont remember the model no but it matches with 603s).
This is connected to a Cambridge Audio DVD player and Harmon Kardon Amp.
My living room size is approx 20 x 20 ft i.e 400 ft.
Can you please suggest a sub-woofer in the 35 to 50 k range to go with this?

check out the B&W 610, supposedly a damn good sub for music specially, decent for movies. Its getting rave reviews all around the world.

Whichever sub you go for, just make sure it gels well with the rest of your setup. Keep in mind that 603 s3 goes pretty low itself to about 44 hz, so if your sub cant do a lot better than that, its a waste.

Apart from the very good suggestions give already, I would like to add PSB Subsonic (now called subseries I think) 5 or 6i. I'm using them with 603 and they are sonically a good match. but not sure abt the price there. Do include these in your audition list.
Among those which have been already mentioned, I favor REL the most.

20 x 20 is a difficult room since it's a square room, Pl make sure of the placement of whatever sub you buy.
If you are looking at velodyne then i guess CHT 15 at arnd 75k should be ideal or if you want to stick within your budget then go for the CHT 12 at approx 55k.
All the best.
cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back