Subwoofer cable stopped working

Love4sound

My brand new 15 meter monoprice subwoofer cable stopped working. I am not sure if the fault is with the cable or the rca connector. Removing it and replacing it is an impossible task cause I installed it before installing the floor carpet and routed it behind a cupboard which cannot be moved now. So I want to experiment by cutting the cable in both ends and installing new RCA connectors. Is that possible and if so any guidance please

Last edited:
My brand new 15 meter monoprice subwoofer cable stopped working. I am not sure if the fault is with the cable or the rca connector. Removing it and replacing it is an impossible task cause I routed it before installing floor carpet and behind a cupboard which cannot be moved now. So I want to experiment by cutting the cable in both ends and installing new RCA connectors. Is that possible and if so any guidance please

You need a multi meter some sort to check if wires are fine and sure if it is the connector.

If they are brand new why not get them replaced? Should be under warranty.

I have made my own RCA cables, subwoofer cables should be similar. Here is a video of showing how they are actually connected.

First do an end to end continuity check using a multi-meter.
Then open up and to the same from the inside, cable cores.
If the RCA soldering is loose, it will be a simple fix.
If the continuity check fails then the core wire has snapped somewhere.
Cheers,
Raghu

You need a multi meter some sort to check if wires are fine and sure if it is the connector.

If they are brand new why not get them replaced? Should be under warranty.

I have made my own RCA cables, subwoofer cables should be similar. Here is a video of showing how they are actually connected.

As I have mentioned removing them is impossible now. I have installed the casing behind a big cupboard and before I installed the carpet. Now if I have to move the cupboard I need to move everything from my room and remove the carpet.

First do an end to end continuity check using a multi-meter.
Then open up and to the same from the inside, cable cores.
If the RCA soldering is loose, it will be a simple fix.
If the continuity check fails then the core wire has snapped somewhere.
Cheers,
Raghu
So far I only tried connecting one end to the sub and tapping the other end. Normally we get a loud thud sound in the sub if it’s working but now I get only a faint noise from the sub

So far I only tried connecting one end to the sub and tapping the other end. Normally we get a loud thud sound in the sub if it’s working but now I get only a faint noise from the sub
Don't do that. You may accidentally short the lead and the cone will complain.
Just use a multimeter. If the multimeter leads are too short, use a length of ordinary wire to extend.

Cheers,
Raghu

seems to be an issue with the cable, tbh people swear by mono price products online but i feel they are very inferior in quality.
I had a Monoprice Premium Certified Hdmi cable giving me errors within months of use which shocked me about this Premium Certified labelling these cables come with:eek: Peace of mind with the certification(My A**)

seems to be an issue with the cable, tbh people swear by mono price products online but i feel they are very inferior in quality.
I had a Monoprice Premium Certified Hdmi cable giving me errors within months of use which shocked me about this Premium Certified labelling these cables come with:eek: Peace of mind with the certification(My A**)
Well i have now asked for a10 meter replacement cable. For my front sub i am using mono-price subwoofer cable and for all my 9 speakers i am using 14AWG monoprice cables. ALso my inceiling rear speakers are from monoprice.They where all recently installed and hope i don't face any issues.

Don't do that. You may accidentally short the lead and the cone will complain.
Just use a multimeter. If the multimeter leads are too short, use a length of ordinary wire to extend.

Cheers,
Raghu
I tried using a multi-meter but suspect the leads are not functioning properly. Not getting stable readings. The dealer will be replacing it with a 10 meter cable but highly disappointed that I can’t route the cable cleanly. As you can see in the image the casing is routed behind the cuboard. To re-wire the same way I need to remove the sub,recliner, and the cupboard which is a tedious and time consuming task. Now planning to just route the 10m cable below the carpet in corners and behind the cupboard as there is gab available. For now just using a 5m cable which is seen in the open 0A2931D2-7EF3-443E-9DB8-57AB64BD4DEB.jpeg

If interested, I can make a 10-meter cable with sturdy terminations.
Thanks a lot Kannan and the only reason i have not considered your cable given the good reputation is that mine is in warranty and i am getting the 10m at no extra cost. May be when you visit to check Aniket PA you can check if the 15M cable can be rectified

If your main concern is the hassles involved in removing and relaying the cable then it may be better to remove the RCA plugs and then re soldering the same. Yes. I mean it. Because the probability of finding a faulty connector or cable is very negligible.

If you are doing this then please share picture of the stripped cable and your impression about it. It will help the members to see the quality of the cable and shielding.

BTW is it 15 meter or 15 feet?

Last edited:
If your main concern is the hassles involved in removing and relaying the cable then it may be better to remove the RCA plugs and then re soldering the same. Yes. I mean it. Because the probability of finding a faulty connector or cable is very negligible.

If you are doing this then please share picture of the stripped cable and your impression about it. It will help the members to see the quality of the cable and shielding.
Yes it’s to much of a hassle to move everything. I will try replacing the RCA plugs and will share pics. For now I can’t even remove the cable and if the cable turns out to be faulty I will just leave it installed. I should have installed the casing in the bottom of the cupboard and routed the cable

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back