Subwoofer choice

60 Hz is, I would think, OK for your setting. But then you are leaving the sub to handle only frequencies from 60 to say 25 hz realistically. Could you try increasing the crossover to say 100 hz to increase the participation of the subwoofer and see if you like it?

It is not normally adviced the way I understand it. If the floorstander itself can handle bass competently it would be more acceptable. But preferences as we have seen can change from person to person.

I have specifically auditioned the Diamond floorstanders with this critierion - no center or sub or surround speakers and found them to be very competent. It is also down to personal preference.

For me surround is not too important. The 9.6 does not sound weak even in movies where hard hitting action is there. It is plenty powerful in the bass department - in fact I have not heard another floorstander which goes lower. At least not one which costs less than 60,000 Rs.

And it is not all quantity where bass is concerned. It is not loose and is well integrated with the midrange and top end. Most of all, the Diamonds are very affordably priced. I am sure you would not be disappointed with the Diamonds even if you go only for them to start with.

To get an idea of how powerful their bass is just connect a Wharfedale Sub 150. It is said to be quite a musical and versatile sub but you would be hard put to gauge its contribution when it is running with the Diamonds. I found I preferred the floorstanders for the base rather than the Sub 150s. When you finally do want to add a sub to the system, I feel you might need to spend more to get it to where you would prefer the sub's more than the floorstander's bass drivers.

thanks a lot for the info! That's the kind of FS speakers I am looking for. I will go check them myself armed with the test CDs :D

Will something like epos ELS SUB do justice then?
Viewing the ELSSUB Active Subwoofer

~bhaskie

vortex, initially I had 80 as advised by manual and then had changed to 60.
It is difficult trying all this, hardly get time to be alone. My two and half year daughter always closes her ear and complains to her mother and system is shut down for peace. Trials are going on even now.

My 9.2 rears are stuck in Bangalore not received.
I had decided on a stabilizer that evening my ups took off and ended up buying ups from the same guy.
So it is an event. I hope by new year things should be set.

Bhaskie

EPOS is vortex territory. so you are in right place.

My 9.2 rears are stuck in Bangalore not received.
I had decided on a stabilizer that evening my ups took off and ended up buying ups from the same guy.

Bhaskie

EPOS is vortex territory. so you are in right place.

Dude... how much does the 9.2 rears cost? I was getting a pair of Bose 301 for 10K which was planning to use as rears (for movies only), but since everybody keeps bashing bose, any other options I can look into within 10K?

Also, what is your UPS's capacity and cost?

Thanks!

hey 9.2 i am getting for 13.5k.

My ups is 1 kv. 8k. It is called silicon controls.
I had put apc 800va for 8k two days back. I felt it was a refurbished one, got rid of that and bought this.

hey 9.2 i am getting for 13.5k.

My ups is 1 kv. 8k. It is called silicon controls.
I had put apc 800va for 8k two days back. I felt it was a refurbished one, got rid of that and bought this.

Hey 13.5K is good! Do let us know how they sound when you receive them.

MY APC UPS died last night too :( so now I got to get a new one. Planning to get a 1KVA+ APC since my HTPC already runs on a Cooler master extreme 500W.

I would think that the EPOS would be good for your system but one can only ascertain after an audition. What I know now is that the EPOS does a great job of integrating with bookshelves. When bookshelf speakers perform the disappearing act it is fascinating but when the subwoofer does it it is positively fantastic.

How does it perform with floorstanders? I dont know, but I would guess it would do justice to music for sure and hold its own in the movies.

I would think that the EPOS would be good for your system but one can only ascertain after an audition. What I know now is that the EPOS does a great job of integrating with bookshelves. When bookshelf speakers perform the disappearing act it is fascinating but when the subwoofer does it it is positively fantastic.

How does it perform with floorstanders? I dont know, but I would guess it would do justice to music for sure and hold its own in the movies.

Thanks Vortex! Can you tell me what is the best price I can get for this sub?

~bhaskie

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back