Subwoofer Conundrum

Its less about their control. Its their size that prohibits using them in a living room. Have you seen the size of an 18" sub woofer? Few have room for something as big as this, let alone a sub woofer meant for a recording studio.
Studio subwoofers are available from 6” and upwards, no different from home audio subs.

Why are studio subwoofers not popular for home stereo? In my opinion they should be fairly controlled?
Because nobody talks about them, beyond Dali, Polk, Wharfedale and Marantz. Just glance over any response to a gear solicitation query.
And for a strange reason, the OPs don’t even acknowledge pro-audio gear responses.

Yup recently got Genelecs my second pair, first was ages ago - so I had forgotten how beautiful these things can sound. Now next step is a sub, and from the looks of it - the Pro subs seem to go - toe to toe - with similar priced commercial subs, with a few extra bells and whistles. Have been looking at ranges from Presonus, ADAM & Genelecs.

I was looking at the SVS 3000 Micro - primarily due to the DSP - but at double the US price - it seems a bit NO VALUE FOR MONEY.

Last edited:
Yup recently got Genelecs my second pair, first was ages ago - so I had forgotten how beautiful these things can sound. Now next step is a sub, and from the looks of it - the Pro subs seem to go - toe to toe - with similar priced commercial subs, with a few extra bells and whistles. Have been looking at ranges from Presonus, ADAM & Genelecs.

I was looking at the SVS 3000 Micro - primarily due to the DSP - but at double the US price - it seems a bit NO VALUE FOR MONEY.
As much as possible, get a DAC or Streamer+DAC that has balanced outputs. And a Subwoofer that has the same (balanced input and output to speakers). The G3s have an XLR input, so you're set there.

This is anecdotal (from personal experience), but the using balanced signal path is an audible improvement over unbalanced. All you need are pro grade cables and connectors. (Any decent studio store will make you a set of a length you want, with really good quality cables and connectors).

This thread can be concluded from my end as I went ahead and bought a Genelec 7040a sub to go with my G3s. Even though the larger sub the 7050 is suggested for the monitors, I took a call after going thru many posts on Genelec forums where many pro & home users were successfully using the 7040 with the 8030c (in larger rooms than mine) & even though the limitations of such a setup could hinder a pro setup, I found that this is perfectly fine in a home environment where my listening levels are rarely if ever going to go above 85 db.

Thanks for all who chimed in.
Chander

This thread can be concluded from my end as I went ahead and bought a Genelec 7040a sub to go with my G3s. Even though the larger sub the 7050 is suggested for the monitors, I took a call after going thru many posts on Genelec forums where many pro & home users were successfully using the 7040 with the 8030c (in larger rooms than mine) & even though the limitations of such a setup could hinder a pro setup, I found that this is perfectly fine in a home environment where my listening levels are rarely if ever going to go above 85 db.

Thanks for all who chimed in.
Chander
Lovely how it worked out, Chander-bhai!

In fact, when you mentioned your second set-up midway in the thread, I was gonna suggest this exact baby, since only a few days ago, @Nitin K bhai had helped me get a taste of a bigger set of genelec 5.1s.

But then, since the original question was about the Qauds and a suitable Rel for it, I decided to keep my trap shut :D

Regd the Genelec, I was really fascinated about how the sub and the satellites combined so well to deliver a full range experience.

Enjoy the system, and do drop a little more detailed impression post soon.

Congrats.

a taste of a bigger set of genelec 5.1s.
If you are talking about the Genelec G5/8050, oh that is a different beast. The G3s though similar sound signature, can't touch the G5s. If I had a larger office (read 3 times the size atleast), the G5 was a no brainer along with the 7050 sub or probably even without a sub. The G5 has a sound, that can only be described as a wave; large, powerful and potent. The G5s or the concentric driver The ones is a bucket list item for me.

Lovely how it worked out, Chander-bhai!
Yup last time I auditioned the 8030, I couldn't control myself and just went for it. It was a moment of weakness 🤣 🤣 🤣 ; but I am not complaining.
Regd the Genelec, I was really fascinated about how the sub and the satellites combined so well to deliver a full range experience.
Yes best done with source to sub & sub to monitors. I have been unsuccessful in making them merge otherwise. Using this route, little is needed for integration, they just work out of the box. Incredible.

If you are talking about the Genelec G5/8050, oh that is a different beast.
Same, same! I was drooling all over the floor (of the treated room) :D
The G5 has a sound, that can only be described as a wave; large, powerful and potent.
I'd say more or less accurately described, though I wouldn't have found the words myself.
Yes best done with source to sub & sub to monitors. I have been unsuccessful in making them merge otherwise. Using this route, little is needed for integration, they just work out of the box. Incredible.
I think this is one of the best fixes for untreated small rooms.
Knowledgeable FMs might even know WHY.

I understand you have zeroed in on to your required sub. but do look into the Perlisten R210s. Just for academic purposes.
Bro, do you have these?!
I have always been fascinated by dual woofer subs.

Wanted to try out the Goldenears, which have apposing woofers, but never got an audition. :(

The Prelisten you suggested seem to have a perpendicular woofer arrangement. That must be some crazy science!
Like parallel twin and V-twins in mobikes.

Even if you don't have these, could you guide me to an Indian dealer?
Might actually try to entice them enough to wrangle an audition. :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back